Why become a member? ×

GK Warmth

James901

Hi

Just after a little advice. I currently gig with a GK Fusion 550 and a GK Neo 212 cab. I'm having difficulty achieving a degree of warmth in my tone. My sound is quite raw and gnarly. I would like to achieve a warmer sound but not sure where to turn. I love the set up as it has more power than I ever need in live situations. Any recommendations on effects/compressors etc..? I go directly into the amp at present.

Thanks!

Edited by jimi_1985

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426275726' post='2716581']
DHA (Dave Hall Amps) VT pedal. Really adds valve warmth, but without affecting the tone - unless set to of course.
[/quote]

Though having just looked at the Blue Berry pedal in Dannys post, that has to be in with serious consideration.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1426271610' post='2716496']
I had a GK 1001rb for a short while... if the amp is anything like it... turn the master output volume up near full and use the gain to control the volume and see what that sounds like.
[/quote]

This. Use the amp the "wrong" way round.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1426271610' post='2716496']
I had a GK 1001rb for a short while... if the amp is anything like it... turn the master output volume up near full and use the gain to control the volume and see what that sounds like.
[/quote]

I have a Fusion 550 and 1001RB and 400RB heads.
A GLX 410, RBH 210, Neo 212.

The Fusion and 1001 are quite different.

The GLX 410 is naturally warm. The RBH210 very punchy. The Neo is fairly neutral in comparison.

On the Fusion switch off the bright control, switch on the deep control. Back off on the gain, up on master. Even though your bass is passive, try the active position and turn up master. Play around with contour.

FWIW if I gig with only one cab tehn it's the Neo. It's the most versatile of the three for me. Use the channel switch (footswitch) to give alternative sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Great. Thanks for the replies : ) I'll have a look into the recommended effects. I actually tired a radical overhaul of the EQ at a recent gig and achieved a much warmer sound by pushing the gain to around 1 o'clock and cut back the high mids to 9 o'clock. Everything else pretty much flat. Very much improved!

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1426274846' post='2716565']
I can't recommend this little box enough:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsOlOX993A[/media]
[/quote]
that guy and/or the Aguilar Tonehammer with the AGS on. nice warmth to be had.