Why become a member? ×

U.S. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

woodywyatt

Has anyone tried one of these yet, or better still purchased one?
I’m looking into buying a Geddy Lee bass in the next couple of months and really love the look of the new USA [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-ES/basses/jazz-bass/us-geddy-lee-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/"]version[/url].
If anyone has tried one, how much of a noticeable difference is there between the [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-ES/basses/jazz-bass/geddy-lee-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-black-3-ply-white-pickguard/"]MIJ[/url] Geddy Lee basses and new US version?
What about this new thick "C" neck shape, and of course how does it sound in comparison?

I can only find one video on YouTube which doesn't really showcase it that well.

I currently own a Squier VM 70’s which sounds great but I love that Geddy growl!

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1426334720' post='2717000']
I’m looking into buying a Geddy Lee bass in the next couple of months and really love the look of the new USA [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-ES/basses/jazz-bass/us-geddy-lee-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/"]version[/url].
If anyone has tried one, how much of a noticeable difference is there between the [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-ES/basses/jazz-bass/geddy-lee-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-black-3-ply-white-pickguard/"]MIJ[/url] Geddy Lee basses and new US version?
What about this new thick "C" neck shape, and of course how does it sound in comparison?

I can only find one video on YouTube which doesn't really showcase it that well.

I currently own a Squier VM 70’s which sounds great but I love that Geddy growl!
[/quote]

if you're a\nywhere in south east i can point you in the direction of a very nice thats up for a bargain at the moment (i did tell him to advertise it on here but dont think he has as yet) feel free to inbox me

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1426334720' post='2717000']

[/quote]

Woody,

I can't comment on the American version but wanted to say that my MIJ version has a very comfortable 'flattened' neck. This really makes a difference for me; I have some issues with flexibility. So, besides the narrower jazz neck, the low-profile neck is ideal for me.

Wylie

I always assumed that the shallow neck was the main reason why most people bought Geddies/Geddy's? Surely adding a thicker (more P-like presumably) neck will affect the tone, but also the playability inherent in this model?

It also lacks the Baddass II, which makes it a further departure from Geddy's original bass... :huh:

Fender's choices baffle me sometimes...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426861665' post='2722853']
I always assumed that the shallow neck was the main reason why most people bought Geddies/Geddy's? Surely adding a thicker (more P-like presumably) neck will affect the tone, but also the playability inherent in this model?

It also lacks the Baddass II, which makes it a further departure from Geddy's original bass... :huh:

[/quote]

+1

Had a reply from a guy in the US and he told me his new USA Geddy bass was awesome.

Comparing his other Japan GL bass with the new usa model, he said the neck does feel a little thicker but certainly isn't a [i]huge[/i] difference.
Tone wise he said the USA model has more grit to it compared to the Japan model and is a better built guitar overall.

I'm used to a Rickenbacker neck so I would imagine the US Geddy will be a lot slimmer than that?

• 4 months later...

I am picking one up in the next few weeks guys, going on holiday to Las Vegas , I have ordered one from Guitar Centre which is not too far from my Hotel. and huge difference in price compared to uk rip off price. will post a full report once i get back.

I bought my MIJ Geddy Lee to replace my MIJ 62 reissue and Mexican standard jazz because of the neck. It would be a real shame if the new US model has deviated a lot from that shape. it's the slimmest jazz neck I've played and super comfortable.

I have both the CIJ and the new US model. I still think the CIJ represented great value for money, but the US one just seems a little more solid somehow. The neck is a bit thicker, but I found the CIJ almost too thin at the nut end & I'm enjoying this neck more. I'd say the pickups are better on the US too - definitely closer to the tone of Geddy Lee. Apparently there have been supply problems with Badass bridges, hence the 'GL Sig' bridge. However I'd say the bridge is as good as the BAII, although strangely none of the supplied allen keys fit the saddle height adjustment screws. My one slight gripe would be the reverse tuners, which take a bit of getting used to (although I also have these on one of my Ricks). I played it for quite a while in the shop before I bought it, although I was pretty sure I was going to buy it as soon as I played it. Besides an acoustic gig, it's the only bass I've played since I got it, which might be 'new bass syndrome', but I am very happy with it.

• 1 month later...

Having used the Bass for 5 weeks now i just love this bass, i know most folks will be comparing it with MIJ or MIM version and rightly so, i have the MIM version as well as this USA version.
my view is this bass if far superior in tone there is a smoothness and warmth the other versions lack, also the neck on this usa version is just fantastic to play as soon as you touch it and play it you know you are dealing with a quality instrument,
the tuners are far superior also, they just are you can feel it when you use them they are also reverse, the fret work on the usa version is very high quality the binding on the neck covers the fret ends the neck edges are rounded no sharp edges here !! The Mexican version could do better on this the frets are quite sharp feeling on these versions but it is understandable working to a budget on an excellent bass.
now probably the biggest impact on sound quality differences are these pickups which are American vintage custom voiced and were made to sound like Mr Lee's own pickups, and you can hear that , they are beefy,warm,rich and just Growl !!!
the Alder used on the body was a selected Alder not any old chunk of wood, the neck/body joint is just spot on, both versions use the new Geddy Lee hi mass bridge which is very like the old badass II, only they have refined that too smooth edges, made from nickel, looking at the entire package you are buying a quality Bass Guitar, you just are, the outstanding neck, the pickups, the construction the finish quality, the playability, the sound, it is all there and a fantastic high quality Fender moulded case with locks. I must admit i found the neck very wide at the body end for me as i am used to Rickenbacker basses, it was a struggle at first for me and i worked with it and got used to it so it is a keeper for me so glad i splashed the cash on it, try one that is set up properly, you will see what i mean when you play it.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426861665' post='2722853']

[/quote]

I fitted an allparts Jazz Bass neck to my MIJ Geddy Lee, which was much deeper than the original neck, and it made a BIB difference in the sound. It basically darkened and deepened the sound.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1447224663' post='2905862']
Iain, i have a Geddy usa , they sound like Geddy's bass they really do, that sound just oozes from them, i love it, it is my number 1 now.
[/quote]

Sounds like a great bass George - one that's definitely on my future shopping list. For me, Geddy's Jazz bass is [i]the[/i] Jazz tone, bar none. :)

I have a MIM Geddy and it's a beast. Plays like butter, sounds great and the fit and finish is perfect. I haven't tried the American Geddy but the MIM one beats out the MIA Standard J/P basses I've tried every time. And it looks SWEET

(Strings are DR Blacks)

Edited by Ultima2876