Why become a member? ×

Effects Noob (chaining problems)

TheBadger

Hey all,

New to the forum, fairly new to effects and very new to using multiple effects!

So here's what I've got and how they should be ran according to the majority of threads, articles, instruction manuals I've read.

Bass> Tuner> Compressor> Octaver> Fuzz> Envelope Filter.

Unfortunately after adding the new Octaver, the Envelope filter (EH Bassballs) is sounding pretty bad. Creating a lot of noise and basically not getting the nice voice effect I was getting before.

I toyed around for a couple of hours with the order of things and bizarrely this set up worked best:

Bass> Tuner> Compressor> Envelope> Fuzz> Octaver.

So my question to you is, will this cause a problem?

Cheers

Kieran

The only thing id suggest trying is swapping the compressor and envelope filter, as the compressor changes the shape of you envelope. Of course if you prefer it after leave it where it is. Playing about with the order of pedals is part of the fun. There are a few 'right' ways to order your pedals floating about, but its subjective really. The right order is the one that sounds best to you, and that works well in the mix.

Cheers guys.

As long as there's no major "hazards" (don't want the HSE after me :D) I'll run it to whatever sounds best. Practice tonight so will try a few different things whilst the drummer moves his Toms half inch that way and then half inch back!

Cheers

Kieran

Hello & apologies for barging in on your thread.. :hi: As the other guy's have said, 'No hard and fast rules' (when it comes to effects), but the basic chain in the diagram has served me quite well over the last 25 years. Always had issues with 'compression', but once you've decided what you want to do with it (compressor as a squash-like volume-ising effect or as a volume-even-ing out 'limiter'), then it makes sense. I use a compressor for recording, so I have mine at the end.
Have fun! :D

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to dial it in so I get that squeeze and sustain, and a slight bit of the limiting.

So far I'm getting the best results with the compressor straight after the tuner. Infact, I'm chaining to the complete opposite of that picture haha I wasn't getting the same effects from the bassballs and compressor when set up to the diagram. Hmmmmmm I must be doing something wrong. Full weekend off, so plenty of time to mess around with it once again

Cheers

Kieran

My chain used to be octave, dirt, modulation, filter, chorus. Never used a compressor as it didn't help my sound.
The only rule you should follow to the effects chain is have fun trying as many possibilities as possible. Don't follow any advice that says "you should do xxx" unless it actually works for you.

[quote name='TheBadger' timestamp='1426748271' post='2721427']
I wasn't getting the same effects from the bassballs and compressor when set up to the diagram.[/quote]
Compressors change your envelope, so change the way the filter moves. Try playing with the Attack and Release if you have them on your compressor, see how they affect it.

[quote name='TheBadger' timestamp='1426748271' post='2721427']
Hmmmmmm I must be doing something wrong.[/quote]
There is no wrong, only different. Playing about with the order/settings is part of the fun. Moving a pedals place in the chain, and/or changing the way its set up can often change the way the effect affects your sound as a whole. Plus, its half the fun.