Why become a member? ×

NEW Short Scale Bass UK Page

All thumbs

I've recently made a start on a new Facebook page dedicated to Short Scale Basses! I've got a small collection myself now including a Fender Mustang, Fender Jazz Short Scale, Scott Whitley SWB-1, Kala Ubass, Squier Jaguar Short Scale, several Richwoods, a Revelation SG style bass etc.

Over time I'll shoot video reviews of each of my basses & talk about the various pros of using short scale.

Not a great deal on the page just now but probably worth 'liking' so you can follow it as things take shape.

I'm also currently working on getting a Standard version of my SWB-1 produced at a starting price of £199 details of which will be posted on the Short Scale Bass page as they develop.

Here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/shortscalebass

Many thanks in advance for dropping by!! :-)

Scott.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1426441891' post='2718097']
Liked it.

The SWB-1 looks good value.
[/quote]

Thanks!

The hand-made model Brian Eastwood builds for £2,200 which is about right I think. However my real dream has been to have a 'Standard' version of the bass produced at a price pretty much [u]anyone can afford[/u], yet it still be a genuinely [u]professional-quality instrument[/u]. Brands like Farida have proved it's possible to achieve high quality at the right price but there's still not a 'modern', 'grown up' short scale available that fit's this bill (i.e. is a joy to play; doesn't look like a toy/kid's bass; has 24 frets; active electronics option; balances perfectly; sounds just as good as any long scale; isn't seen as a 'budget' brand but IS affordable!). The nearest I guess would be the Squier Short Scale Jaguar but some folks (sadly) will be put off by the 'it's not a proper Fender' thing (not me of course - I own a Jaguar lol). The Squier Mustangs, Broncos etc are fabulous little basses too but are essentially like small P-basses which don't fit the bill for everyone.

Maybe a bold statement but I'm hoping to change that! :-)

Edited by All thumbs

So how close will the production model be to the "prototype"? I like the fact that it's not really like any of the traditional bass models. I would't be particularly bothered about the fancy top woods, but would definitely be interested in a model with the vibrato!

Scott, like everyone else I'm interested in the SWB-1 but I'm a bit curious about how it balances on a strap. With such a short top horn the strap pin looks to be around the 17th fret compared with the 12th fret on a regular jazz type. Doesn't this make it a bit neck heavy and mean the reach to the lower frets feels much the same as playing a long scale? Will the production model have exactly the same body shape or do you have any thoughts to extend the top horn a bit? It looks great as it is, just wondering about the ergonomics.

I'm in the same boat as ikay - I like a lot about the SWB-1 design - especially the tone with those DiMarzios. However I have a question about the upper horn.
If the SWB-1 is to produced at a modest cost - wood weight consistency will have to be more flexible than the Eastwood beaut. I know the look might be compromised, but a "long horn" or extended upper horn version, or option, might allow for lighter woods in the body (or greater ranges of body weights) without compromising either the ergonomics, fret access, or the instruments balance.

My 2c.

I don't do Twitface so the layout kind of confuses me but nice to have some promo on the shorties. I have two at the moment and really like playing them - Fender Musicmaster modded with a Precision pickup and Danelectro Longhorn. Especially the Dano which I am currently head over heels with. :)

Regarding the top horn strap button. I own 2 short scale basses and neither of them have the strap button anywhere near the 12th fret, yet both balance perfectly. You need to look at the overall design rather than concentrate on any one particular feature in isolation.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426542103' post='2719223']
So how close will the production model be to the "prototype"? I like the fact that it's not really like any of the traditional bass models. I would't be particularly bothered about the fancy top woods, but would definitely be interested in a model with the vibrato!
[/quote]

The cheaper end would be a solid alder or basswood painted or lacquered solid body. Higher up the range would be an ash body with maple cap. The 5-layer body on the hand made version would escalate costs too much and for me is more of an aesthetic thing tbh.

I'm looking into alternative trem bridge options for those who'd like one fitted. The Kahler is fabulous but costs around £200!!

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1426599707' post='2719682']
Scott, like everyone else I'm interested in the SWB-1 but I'm a bit curious about how it balances on a strap. With such a short top horn the strap pin looks to be around the 17th fret compared with the 12th fret on a regular jazz type. Doesn't this make it a bit neck heavy and mean the reach to the lower frets feels much the same as playing a long scale? Will the production model have exactly the same body shape or do you have any thoughts to extend the top horn a bit? It looks great as it is, just wondering about the ergonomics.
[/quote]
[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1426601929' post='2719725']
I'm in the same boat as ikay - I like a lot about the SWB-1 design - especially the tone with those DiMarzios. However I have a question about the upper horn.
If the SWB-1 is to produced at a modest cost - wood weight consistency will have to be more flexible than the Eastwood beaut. I know the look might be compromised, but a "long horn" or extended upper horn version, or option, might allow for lighter woods in the body (or greater ranges of body weights) without compromising either the ergonomics, fret access, or the instruments balance.

My 2c.
[/quote]

I can see what you're thinking, but it does actual balance perfectly! :-) The main reason for this is that there's quite a lot of body behind the bridge compared to most basses and it's pretty wide here with no contouring (see pics here - https://plus.google.com/photos/101842369164677848079/albums/6127523475361234225).

In fact I can honestly say the bass 'fits' and balances better than almost anything else I've owned! :-)

Thanks for reply re the issue of balance. I guess that depends on having quite a dense body then. Out of interest what does your custom SWB-1 weigh? On the question of reach though, with so much neck to the left of the upper strap button doesn't it feel much the same as a 34" for the left hand? Sorry to labour the point, I'm not trying to be awkward. I really like the idea of the SWB-1 but one of the things that attracts me to a short scale is having to stretch less for the lower frets.