Why become a member? ×

What one on top?

jezzaboy

In my next wee project, a bit more oomph is required, so I have a 1 x15 cab and a 2x10 cab. It may be a daft question but what is the general view re stacking them? It`s a heavy rock gig.

Does it make any difference?

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1426452561' post='2718214']
2x10 on the top.

From a mechanical perspective it's far more stable and from an audio perspective it's easier to hear the higher frequencies if they're not round your ankles. :)
[/quote]

If the 2x10 has a tweeter then fair enough. Otherwise, it probably won't make much difference sonically.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1426452561' post='2718214']
2x10 on the top.

From a mechanical perspective it's far more stable and from an audio perspective it's easier to hear the higher frequencies if they're not round your ankles. :)
[/quote]

Nah. I've got exactly that combination. I've tried both and can't tell the difference. I put the prettiest one on top.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1426511377' post='2718611']
Is that kind of snarkiness really necessary? It doesn't make the forum look great...
[/quote]

In this case, it probably is, I'm afraid. I didn't point to a specific post in the first instance.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426514353' post='2718661']
The question is does a 1x15 on top of a 2x10 sound different from a 2x10 on top of a 1x15, not whether a 1x15 sounds different from a 2x10...
[/quote]

With a 2x10 and 1x15 it's hard to predict what that difference would be with either cab on top, so suck-it-and-see is as valid an approach as any.
If neither cab has a tweeter and they're both receiving a full-range signal, I would listen to it both ways, and if there's no major difference then it comes down to stability and aesthetics. The idea that the 2x10" [i]must[/i] go on top comes from the old "10s for the highs, 15s for the lows" dictum, which has been done to death on here.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1426515029' post='2718671']
With a 2x10 and 1x15 it's hard to predict what that difference would be with either cab on top, so suck-it-and-see is as valid an approach as any.
If neither cab has a tweeter and they're both receiving a full-range signal, I would listen to it both ways, and if there's no major difference then it comes down to stability and aesthetics. The idea that the 2x10" [i]must[/i] go on top comes from the old "10s for the highs, 15s for the lows" dictum, which has been done to death on here.
[/quote]

It has but it is a truism for a reason...
MY 212 will have to go on the bottom as it sounds massively different from the 210 I pair it with.
I sold a 115 it has no place in my tone goals. We have ears, we know what we hear and know what we need.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1426515029' post='2718671']
[/quote]

I concur.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426512715' post='2718630']
In this case, it probably is, I'm afraid. I didn't point to a specific post in the first instance.
[/quote]

Don't worry Mr Beer of the Bass. What you see there is someone thinking they know better than little me and making condescending remarks to put me and my know how down. You know how much that worries me? Ha ha.

For clarification on my stance. Now, before said gent tries to have a field day again - let me be 100% clear.

I have a 1 x 15 and a 2 x10. Both Barefaceds. They are roughly the same size horizontally - so close it makes no difference. So, which one to put on top?

I've tried it both ways. Both cabs, on their own, are quite different. But when you put 'em one on top of the other - it's real hard to tell the difference ..... if there is any real difference to hear. Depends where you stand. If you are standing right beside them - then you can hear the different cabs. Take yourself more than three yards away - and they sound like one combined bass sound. To me ................. and I don't really care what so called experts who know a lot more about me and can say "says it all" say. That's what I hear and that's what I think.

So, what's a girl to do? I put the one that looks the best (the 2x10 with silver cloth) on top. I'm sure that's a crime.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1426516328' post='2718691']
I've tried it both ways. Both cabs, on their own, are quite different. But when you put 'em one on top of the other - it's real hard to tell the difference ..... if there is any real difference to hear. Depends where you stand. If you are standing right beside them - then you can hear the different cabs. Take yourself more than three yards away - and they sound like one combined bass sound.
[/quote]

Exactly. We don't hear 2 bass sounds from 2 cabs run together, just one. The cab nearest to our ears may predominate if we're very close, otherwise they just blend together. As for the audience, they're not exactly going to notice a difference!

It`s funny but I`ve often thought that given we`re bass-players that the 115 should go on top, so we hear more bass, and don`t turn up the bass too much cos all we hear are the highs. But then, I never said I was normal.

But in a real world scenario, I`d just put the lightest one on top for stability of the stack.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426516627' post='2718699']
Exactly. We don't hear 2 bass sounds from 2 cabs run together, just one. The cab nearest to our ears may predominate if we're very close, otherwise they just blend together. As for the audience, they're not exactly going to notice a difference!
[/quote]

See, I'd dispute that as otherwise why have 2 cabs... ?
I have enough power in the bottom cab to run on its own but I choose not to
and I'll stand 4-5 mtrs away at times.
Why have different speakers and configs if you can't hear the difference and a
stage sound is what you play to... the audience doesn't matter from your POV if you
are running FOH.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426516749' post='2718701']
I`d just put the lightest one on top for stability of the stack.
[/quote]

This. Probably... :D

Interestingly, back in the day when I had the archetypal Trace Elliot "stack" (1048 and 1518) I used to prefer the sound with the 4x10 on the bottom and the 1x15 on top. Both cabs were the same width and depth so it made no difference to their "stackability", but it did affect the sound (to my ears, standing right in front of it).

Ironically, the 1x15 had more definition and more top end than the 4x10! :blink:

To the OP - they are your cabs, put them however they sound/look/feel best. If you've got long speaker cables, try one on each side of the stage! :yarr: :gas:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426518028' post='2718724']

Interestingly, back in the day when I had the archetypal Trace Elliot "stack" (1048 and 1518) I used to prefer the sound with the 4x10 on the bottom and the 1x15 on top. Both cabs were the same width and depth so it made no difference to their "stackability", but it did affect the sound (to my ears, standing right in front of it).

Ironically, the 1x15 had more definition and more top end than the 4x10! :blink:

To the OP - they are your cabs, put them however they sound/look/feel best. [b]If you've got long speaker cables, try one on each side of the stage! :yarr: :gas:[/b]
[/quote]

You really are trying to start an argument :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426518014' post='2718723']...why have 2 cabs... ? Why have different speakers and configs if you can't hear the difference
[/quote]

Because not all of us have the luxury of being to order an entire set-up in one go. Sometimes we replace one cab at a time (from what is available new or second-hand) and then maybe don't get on with the matching amp... so that gets sold/traded and so on.

Many of us have these "cobbled together" set ups. :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426518014' post='2718723']
Why have different speakers and configs if you can't hear the difference and a
stage sound is what you play to... the audience doesn't matter from your POV if you
are running FOH.
[/quote]

GAS mainly!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426518028' post='2718724']

To the OP - they are your cabs, put them however they sound/look/feel best. If you've got long speaker cables, try one on each side of the stage! :yarr: :gas:
[/quote]

There's no reason why the 115 wouldn't have more top end than the 410. Billy Sheehan purposely uses 15's to run only top end and 410's for lows. That big neck pickup on his bass just runs through the 410's he uses.

What I've never been able to figure out is, if the traditional given is smaller speakers for high and top end, why do guitarists use 12's?