Why become a member? ×

Moondance transcription - anyone have one?

stevie

Worried by the fact that our band do both Moondance and Teenage Kicks!

Anyway I started with Moondance following http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/songs-moondance.html and have over several years "varied" or "customised" a little. Gave me a good start though.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426530109' post='2718980']
Try this and then just walk between the chords and changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5niOj4LkgqU
[/quote]

I tried this but found walking between the band and the door worked better :D

Edited by Maude

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426610776' post='2719834']
...it is normally a throwaway number at a function where people want back ground musak while still eating..?? :lol:
[/quote]
My main situation is a duo which makes a pretty decent wage doing just that
and yes, Moondance is on our list.
In fact, I play the melody, then walk a line for the guitar solo
(you can find a sample here if you click "All Songs")-

[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/JazzX2"]http://www.reverbnation.com/JazzX2[/url]

Never quite understood the animosity towards the tune, myself.
Folks seem to like it and I make people happy for a living.

If I were playing exclusively songs that float my boat,
I'd be in a Steely Dan tribute band somewhere.
B)

The problem is not the song, Gonz. It is no worse than a million other pop songs. It is the assumption that it has something to do with Jazz and the fact that the bass playing on the original is shocking even though it was on a major hit. And finally, being the blunt, I just like making mischief sometimes 😎

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427617896' post='2732257']
The problem is not the song, Gonz. It is no worse than a million other pop songs. It is the assumption that it has something to do with Jazz and the fact that the bass playing on the original is shocking even though it was on a major hit. And finally, being the blunt, I just like making mischief sometimes 😎
[/quote]

I'm not into playing this , not because I claim to know jazz theory but because I've played it 100 times at functions, so it's like walking on sunshine or mustang to me , just bored with it.

I do wonder though, it always get people going, do you think there is a technical reason why this works in this way, even accidental ? I mean if we had played Autumn Leaves instead on most of those occasions with what the experts are calling a better arrangement and bassline , it would clear the floor

Of course it would but there are 1,000 other songs that wouldn't and which don't have words that are made up like fantabulous and, indeed, moondance. You could also clear the floor with any number of great tunes. A full dance floor is not the only way to entertain people. I have never seen a full dance floor at a Billy Connolly gig. Doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. :P

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1430991418' post='2766564']
Of course it would but there are 1,000 other songs that wouldn't and which don't have words that are made up like fantabulous and, indeed, moondance. You could also clear the floor with any number of great tunes. A full dance floor is not the only way to entertain people. I have never seen a full dance floor at a Billy Connolly gig. Doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. :P
[/quote]

Yes , but if people are going to cheer and dance to Moondance , it makes no sense why you could not keep them on the floor by going into a similar paced walking bass led rhythm , I've tried hard to get various functions bands I've played in to do a jazz standard , just one , but no one will risk anything beyond Moondance (which I know you hate being associated to jazz) , they won't even risk All Blues

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1431150521' post='2768226']
I've tried hard to get various functions bands I've played in to do a jazz standard ...
[/quote]

Serious question: Does [i][b]Stormy Monday[/b][/i] count? The line between blues and jazz is sometimes smudged at best.

It doesn't matter whether you like or dislike Moondance, it's popular and definitely gets people up and dancing. For that reason it's worth doing as a band, because when the punters are enjoying themselves, so will you.

I wouldn't slavishly follow the 'original', try and put you're own stamp on it. Just keep tight with the drummer and all will be fine.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1426545390' post='2719275']
My theory is not up to scratch, so I'm a bit confused here. Should that not be [b]C[/b][b]maj [/b]instead G of as this (C maj) is the relative major of A minor ? :huh:
[/quote]

Works for me. What a turd of a song though.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1426545390' post='2719275']
My theory is not up to scratch, so I'm a bit confused here. Should that not be [b]C[/b][b]maj [/b]instead G of as this (C maj) is the relative major of A minor ? :huh:
[/quote]

It's just the difference between using an F# (A dorian) or an F natural (A aeolian). Both options on a minor chord like that. Don't think the melody has an F or an F# in it, so up to you and depends what the chordal instruments are doing. If the chordal instrument is throwing in Bm7, then a F# is actually a better choice (it's the 5th of Bm7), and it allows a bit of harmonic movement when you switch to the Dm7 Am7 section - you can use D dorian (C major starting from D), which has an F natural in, so a bit of a change.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1431259283' post='2769292']
It's just the difference between using an F# (A dorian) or an F natural (A aeolian). Both options on a minor chord like that. Don't think the melody has an F or an F# in it, so up to you and depends what the chordal instruments are doing. If the chordal instrument is throwing in Bm7, then a F# is actually a better choice (it's the 5th of Bm7), and it allows a bit of harmonic movement when you switch to the Dm7 Am7 section - you can use D dorian (C major starting from D), which has an F natural in, so a bit of a change.
[/quote]

Thanks for explaining. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431260555' post='2769305']
The version that ended up on the record was the first take, 'cos it had Van's favourite vocal on it.

That might explain why the track itself is a bit shabby.
[/quote]

Wouldn't you think that Van, being the (cranky !!!) perfectionist that he is, would have copped how shabby is it/was and then made the appropriate changes ?

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1431263495' post='2769354']
Wouldn't you think that Van, being the (cranky !!!) perfectionist that he is, would have copped how shabby is it/was and then made the appropriate changes ?
[/quote]

You would think, but apparently - back then, anyway - all he cared about was a good vocal take.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431263758' post='2769360']
You would think, but apparently - back then, anyway - all he cared about was a good vocal take.
[/quote]

He seems to have gone the other way in recent times. During a concert a couple of years ago, I remember him giving the drummer grief in front of thousands of people. The mics picked up everything. I certainly could not figure out the reason. I really felt sorry for that drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1431259283' post='2769292']
It's just the difference between using an F# (A dorian) or an F natural (A aeolian). Both options on a minor chord like that.
[/quote]

But listening to to there no real doubt that its the former, looking to half a dozen random versions of the sheet music on the internet they all have some variation of the second chord with an F# in it. Really the whole song reeks of dorian tonality to my ears.