Why become a member? ×

Moondance transcription - anyone have one?

stevie

Yes, I know what you're going to say..... but the band insists on doing this - nothing to do with me. Does anyone have a half-decent arrangement of this for bass, in view of how rubbish the original is? A transcription, or preferably a midi, would be perfect.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1426521753' post='2718788']...Does anyone have a half-decent arrangement of this for bass, in view of how rubbish the original is? A transcription, or preferably a midi, would be perfect.
[/quote]

Stretching somewhat the definition of 'half-decent', I can offer this (download and save as Pdf...)

[attachment=186667:Morr_Van_Moon_Danc.pdf]

...and this; the same, but as a 'zipped' MIDI file...

[attachment=186668:Morr_Van_Moon_Danc.zip]

Hope this helps.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1426526256' post='2718889']
Thanks, Dad. That looks close to the original (not very great) bassline. Any chance you could try re-posting the midi? It doesn't unzip to anything because it's too small.
[/quote]

Well, here it is again, 'zipped' with the pdf for bulk (although it seemed fine to me...)...

[attachment=186682:Morr_Van_Moon_Danc.zip]

Really, I see 2 options: either you're all playing close enough to the original, so plod along, or you're all 'interpreting' the piece, in which case spice it up as you think best fits. So much depends on what the drummer and rhythm folks are doing, as well, of course, as the singist. Same goes for any piece, not just this. Are you playing this 'straight' or 'ripping it up'..?

And for thinking/playing outside the box on the verses - play in the major key a tone lower than the first minor chord. In other words - the first chord is A Minor, so you play around G Major. Everything will still be from the same key, you'll just have some nice (and hopefully) pleasant surprises.

Dad, the midi is just 1.5kb - it opens but there's nothing there. Don't worry, I can work with the PDF no probs. Oh [edit] we're playing it straight. No fancy stuff.

Gareth. OK, thanks. It sounds a bit strange, but I'll give it a go.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1426536411' post='2719093']
And for thinking/playing outside the box on the verses - play in the major key a tone lower than the first minor chord. In other words - the first chord is A Minor, so you play around G Major. Everything will still be from the same key, you'll just have some nice (and hopefully) pleasant surprises.
[/quote]

And remember kids ... you're never more than a semi away from a "right" note.

:D

[/quote]

Interesting, looking forward to trying that, I can see the logic but don't have a bass to hand! Thanks Gareth

[/quote]

My theory is not up to scratch, so I'm a bit confused here. Should that not be [b]C[/b][b]maj [/b]instead G of as this (C maj) is the relative major of A minor ? :huh:

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1426537017' post='2719111']
Dad, the midi is just 1.5kb - it opens but there's nothing there. Don't worry, I can work with the PDF no probs. Oh [edit] we're playing it straight. No fancy stuff...
[/quote]

Dunno what you're doing, then; it works for me. 'Open', you say; open with what..? My MIDIPlayer plays it just fine (well, I say 'Fine'; it is still, after all, 'Moondance'... :blush: ) and Reaper has no trouble reading it either. Still, if you're OK with the Pdf that's good, too. Lucky it's not a complicated piece, eh..? :)

My band used to play it. It's a song I loathe so I didn't even bother to try and emulate the proper bass line in any way shape or form. My guitarist and I usually share similar tastes in music but this is one song we really disagree on, he thinks it's great.

Just hold out and give dodgy excuses that you haven't found a script for it, or your music library is corrupted, you haven't got it on CD, you haven't got speakers on your computer at the moment....anything to prevent the pain of having to play it :)

It's not one of my favourites either, Marvin, which is why I couldn't be bothered to sit down and work out what's on the record - especially as the bass line is pretty grim. I thought somebody might have written a half-decent arrangement that I could simply 'borrow' , using the sheet music. Michael Buble's bass player does quite a nice job of it (it's on Youtube), but it would take me a day to figure out what he's doing. Anyway, I'm outnumbered - I think everybody else likes it. So I have to make the best of it. :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moondance+chord+chart&espv=2&biw=1248&bih=688&tbm=isch&imgil=WTtVO860XXyeyM%253A%253B7hJmFLqwISUSkM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.curtsheller.com%25252Fsongs%25252Fsong_pages%25252FUL513_moondance.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=WTtVO860XXyeyM%253A%252C7hJmFLqwISUSkM%252C_&usg=__7SxrOomtL6iHLHjfmXV0UI1auYE%3D&ved=0CEAQyjc&ei=VVkIVaXID6m67gbG4oGwCw#imgrc=WTtVO860XXyeyM%253A%3B7hJmFLqwISUSkM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.curtsheller.com%252Fassets%252Fpdf%252Fimages%252FUL513-1.png%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.curtsheller.com%252Fsongs%252Fsong_pages%252FUL513_moondance.php%3B612%3B792

I just searched Moondance chord chart and came up with those.
If nothing else... just walk a bassline thru those changes.

Vocally, it's lame, IMO but works better as a jazzer if you have a good lead horn and can take the rounds somewhere.
I would seriously ask what the band proposes to use it for as it is normally a throwaway number at a function
where people want back ground musak while still eating..?? :lol:

Jellynote .
Mousing over the first of the four large results makes a headstock with four tuners pop up which means BASS ! :P
[url="https://www.jellynote.com/en/search?q=Moondance+-+Van+Morrison"]https://www.jellynot...+-+Van+Morrison[/url]

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1426608269' post='2719799']
It's not one of my favourites either, Marvin, which is why I couldn't be bothered to sit down and work out what's on the record - especially as the bass line is pretty grim. I thought somebody might have written a half-decent arrangement that I could simply 'borrow' , using the sheet music. Michael Buble's bass player does quite a nice job of it (it's on Youtube), but it would take me a day to figure out what he's doing. Anyway, I'm outnumbered - I think everybody else likes it. So I have to make the best of it. :)
[/quote]

My guitarist mentioned covering it again the other week. I listened to it the other night and totally agree, the original bass line is a real dogs breakfast.

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1426614560' post='2719875']
Jellynote .
Mousing over the first of the four large results makes a headstock with four tuners pop up which means BASS ! :P
[url="https://www.jellynote.com/en/search?q=Moondance+-+Van+Morrison"]https://www.jellynot...+-+Van+Morrison[/url]
[/quote]

Ooh! I hadn't heard of that site... very interesting, thank you!