Why become a member? ×

Active Barefaced

Owen

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1426538769' post='2719155']
With a frequency range of 42Hz - 160Hz there's not a pre amp in the world that will make it sound like a bass amp. It's clearly a dedicated sub..............AND I WANT A PAIR!!!
[/quote] 16 kHz !!!!

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1426538769' post='2719155']
With a frequency range of 42Hz - 160Hz there's not a pre amp in the world that will make it sound like a bass amp. It's clearly a dedicated sub..............AND I WANT A PAIR!!!
[/quote]

That is, indeed, the spec for the active sub - not the full range cab linked in the OP.

This would be perfect for bass given the specs - in my opinion. Bass/preamp in gigbag in one hand, active cab in the other. Sounds like the perfect solution for the bass player who wants a single-cab, lightweight, portable solution without compromising on beans...

If it does what it says on the tin (and everything else I've ever used produced by Alex has done, so far) and it really [i]is[/i] 15kg, it's a no-brainer.

In my humble opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary, good luck with the sale, in before the lock, Rome wasn't built in a day, other products are available, quality always sells, if I remember correctly, as soon as possible and never wipe yer arse with a broken bottle.

Hoi, hup la! Thhp. :P

Edited by discreet

Guest monsterthompson

very interesting. I'd love to run one with a Tonehammer pre. great easy carry. it would eliminate my need for the Genz Shuttle in the middle of my current TH > Genz > BF chain.

Similar thinking here - actually something I've been *trying* to do for many many years! Who can remember the ISP rig I had eh?! I'd like to hear these and then have a pair of FR's stacked - maybe a third just..well.. because.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426631862' post='2720248']
Similar thinking here - actually something I've been *trying* to do for many many years! Who can remember the ISP rig I had eh?! I'd like to hear these and then have a pair of FR's stacked - maybe a third just..well.. because.
[/quote] Can you pull your basschat card and borrow one for a review for us all?

I run a pre pedal into a Bagend powered cab but at 36kg it's no lightweight, however with the amount of gigs we're anticipating I probably can't justify one :( ...

I did buy a S12 direct from Alex when they came out & it was brilliant, in fact the cab actually moved backwards (on smooth laminate floor) when I fully cranked my GK 700 ! That's how much air they move .. was so efficient.

So I'd buy one based on my previous barefaced experience but sadly I can't afford one .... :(

I ran a pair of the 'revolutionary' Celestion SR1, plus subs for a few years.....don't think the spec was that different (subs were heavier, obv) tops were 2x10 in a plastic moulded cabs at 28lbs each - I think. After about two hours the mid-range seriously hurt.
I hope Alex has done a lot of actual listening tests here, I wish him well, if he's got it right,it's a fabulous concept.

:)

We're excited about these!

We have rather a large marketing challenge on our hands because what most people are failing to notice is that these are true full-range PA speakers that do BIG lows. They're not like the usual small boxes you get on stands - apart from being that light! If your band only puts vocals, guitar and horns through the PA system and never uses the PA to also play recorded music, then they'd be complete overkill. They're designed to replace much larger tops + subs rigs, hence the cost. Push them hard with kick drums, bass guitar, synths etc.

Back when we first used two Big Baby Ts as a PA system they were used for drum 'n bass at club levels and sounded awesome. The FR800s can do that. They're nothing like those plastic Mackies you see everywhere, despite also being 2-way active 12" boxes.

Much like a Super Compact is nothing like a cheap practice 1x12" bass combo, despite both containing one 12" speaker. So how can we explain this to people?

Any local (Brighton) bands want to borrow a pair?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426683082' post='2720683']

We have rather a large marketing challenge on our hands because what most people are failing to notice is that these are true full-range PA speakers that do BIG lows. They're not like the usual small boxes you get on stands - apart from being that light! If your band only puts vocals, guitar and horns through the PA system and never uses the PA to also play recorded music, then they'd be complete overkill. They're designed to replace much larger tops + subs rigs, hence the cost. Push them hard with kick drums, bass guitar, synths etc.

Back when we first used two Big Baby Ts as a PA system they were used for drum 'n bass at club levels and sounded awesome. The FR800s can do that. They're nothing like those plastic Mackies you see everywhere, despite also being 2-way active 12" boxes.

Much like a Super Compact is nothing like a cheap practice 1x12" bass combo, despite both containing one 12" speaker. So how can we explain this to people?

[/quote]

What would you say the closest competition is in terms of "accepted" PA rigs? Might be a good way to get it across to people :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426683082' post='2720683']

[/quote]

I clocked that early on when looking at the specs. I'm especially interested in the 12 inch subs as they are super portable and the specs looks quite encouraging. I'm a believer in big subs (15s as a min and 18s being the sweet spot before heading up to 21s). The thing is, there's subs and subs... one persons idea of crushing bass may not be the same as mine. But despite all this, I am very interested in hearing this setup - an efficient lightweight sub are far from common!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1426683523' post='2720698']
What would you say the closest competition is in terms of "accepted" PA rigs? Might be a good way to get it across to people :)
[/quote]

In terms of tops (with great low end response that you could use without subs), I would like to hear them against the RCF 745s - [url="http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-745-a"]http://www.rcf.it/pr...eries/art-745-a[/url] which come in just under 1k.

I'm not quite sure what the subs would be pitched against - maybe the DLM12s because Alex has mentioned Mackie already?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1426683523' post='2720698']
[/quote]

In terms of clean broadband and low frequency output then a pair of FR800s would be similar to a dual Mackie SRM550 + SRM1850 sub rig (that's two 1x12" tops and an 18" sub) or a pair of Mackie SRM750s (two 2x15" full-range speakers).

Quick question as there's no pic of the subwoofer - is it front loaded? Or is a horn design?

The only small drivered yet super efficient subs that I've experienced is the Danley tapped horn stuff - but they are far from super light!

Edited by EBS_freak

Consider my attention thoroughly grabbed.

I'm currently using a GK MB500 into either/both of BFM Omni 10 and Omni 10.5. Have a Zoom B3 and MS-60B if I need some preamp type flavour but I generally run dry bass signal into the effects return of the amp and set the sound up from the bass preamp.

Was looking into a Greenboy F112 and either a MB800 or Tecamp Puma 900 so I could avoid the need for 2 cabs for loud-ish gigs but this would be more cost effective AND reclaim the amp space in my gig bag.....

Only downside I can see vs the F112 is losing the wedge option... but i've got one of those Markbass folding propstands so even that's not a big deal.

Veeeeeerryyyyy tempting!