Why become a member? ×

Active Barefaced

Owen

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1426856901' post='2722769']
My biggest bother would be pulling £2K on a couple of PA speakers that we couldn't hear beforehand. It's a giant leap of faith!
[/quote]

I believe Alex has a scheme whereby you can trial gear for a month and if you don't like it, send it back.
You pay for return postage though, but I still think it's worthwhile.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426860289' post='2722831']
So if you are running one sub, you need a separate feed for this.... No option to sum two input sources (from a stereo left/right feed) to then feed the top cabs.
[/quote]

Really...?? Would have assumed a simple pass thru otherwise you need a separate signal..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426865355' post='2722915']
Really...?? Would have assumed a simple pass thru otherwise you need a separate signal..??
[/quote]

How do you mean.... unless you pass through from one of the mid/high but then you are only getting that from one channel of a stereo mix.... may be missing some info in the signal in that case

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426792583' post='2722087']
Lots of people. Two subs cause problems - one sub does the job because low end at sub frequencies is non-directional, i.e. you can't tell where it's coming from, so you don't need two subs - you get your stereo from the tops.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1426794823' post='2722122']
Having a sub on either side of the stage will nearly always result in a worse sound out front in smaller venues. Phase mashing and all that. One single decent sub will give much better results.
[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426846702' post='2722551']
Agree, lots do and I think it is valid if all you want to do is add a bit of depth.

Put it anywhere, as bass will go everywhere. Perfect scenario for a average sized pub
for when the tops get run a bit too hard with kick and keys..??
[/quote]

Naaa, sorry guys. I know all the tech talk and the miths but this may not be quite exactly as the theory says, from my own personal experience.

First, using only one sub, in order for it to be balanced with the tops output it has to be loud, and i mean loud, and that will be very incovinient for whoever is standing next to it. Two subs can be used a lot lower and give more comfort to the band.

Second, unfortunetly not all venues have a suitable space for bands, as example i can say we use to play in a local irish pub that's pretty much a corridor and the band plays facing the narrower side, on the center. If the pub gets too crowded the lows end up being drowned on one side if there's only one sub running on the other side.

Third, who plays on a bar/pub that's big enough to have phase canceling problems? Never had that happening on a gig anywhere.

This is all IMO and IME. I may be wrong but it's been working for me, and yes, i used PA's with 1 sub + 2 tops in the past and allways had problems with either lack or too much lows depending on the rooms.

Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1426867962' post='2722946']
Naaa, sorry guys.
[/quote]

It's difficult for humans to localise low frequencies in a room any smaller than a concert hall. This is merely a fact. Obviously it's up to you whether you believe it or not... :)

Edited by discreet

Just to add to the subs debate, we always use two because our tops are pole mounted and its much easier to get an even spread this way. As has already been mentioned, you can control the output level of your subs separately from the output level of your tops. Similarly, if your using a fully featured crossover, then you can also deal with phase issues by introducing delay to one side or the other.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1426875866' post='2723058'] you can also deal with phase issues by introducing delay to one side or the other.
[/quote]

But the phase difference will vary depending on where you are in the room, won't it? So adding delay to one side would just move the problems around the room a bit, wouldn't it?

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426867881' post='2722945']
How do you mean.... unless you pass through from one of the mid/high but then you are only getting that from one channel of a stereo mix.... may be missing some info in the signal in that case
[/quote]

Assuming L and R main signal out of the Desk... into Sub 1 via passthru to Top 1... so that side gets the depth of the sub.
Personally, I wouldn't even be pan the signals ... and then on the other signal I'd have a pass filter to the top... OR
pan the signals to bais the side..
Anyway, what I meant was the tops or subs need a pass thru option of the cab inputs..??

I just wanted to repeat that the FR800s contain their own subs, in effect! The LF800(s) are there to increase max LF SPL, not to go lower.

So if you are using two FR800s as your PA system you already have two subs. If you are using two FR800s and one LF800 you have three (3!!!) subs, not one. If you are using two FR800s and two LF800 you have four (FOUR!) subs.

Just wanted to make that clear! If you're arguing about other PA rigs with conventional tops and subs then do carry on - but if you're talking about the Barefaced PA approach then re-read the previous paragraph. :)

I mentioned one sub as adequate and a bit of depth to the sound only in a smaller pub.
It is a bit of depth only not sound re-enforcement as such, It is just to help the tops in a
generally tops only gig for keys and kick..
So, to repeat myself..:lol: :lol;

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426882549' post='2723193']
I just wanted to repeat that the FR800s contain their own subs, in effect! The LF800(s) are there to increase max LF SPL, not to go lower.

So if you are using two FR800s as your PA system you already have two subs. If you are using two FR800s and one LF800 you have three (3!!!) subs, not one. If you are using two FR800s and two LF800 you have four (FOUR!) subs.

Just wanted to make that clear! If you're arguing about other PA rigs with conventional tops and subs then do carry on - but if you're talking about the Barefaced PA approach then re-read the previous paragraph. :)
[/quote]

How can they contain their own sub if its a two way box?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426880855' post='2723161']
Assuming L and R main signal out of the Desk... into Sub 1 via passthru to Top 1... so that side gets the depth of the sub.
Personally, I wouldn't even be pan the signals ... and then on the other signal I'd have a pass filter to the top... OR
pan the signals to bais the side..
Anyway, what I meant was the tops or subs need a pass thru option of the cab inputs..??
[/quote]

Yes I understand this.... but on the rear panel of these cabs you only have one input.... therefore you cannot run a stereo/leftright into them, therefore you would need a mono sum mix from the desk

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426936938' post='2723637']
How can they contain their own sub if its a two way box?
[/quote]

It looks like it's being eq'd to work as a full range system on a pole. A bit like the old Bose 802s.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426937128' post='2723642']
Yes I understand this.... but on the rear panel of these cabs you only have one input.... therefore you cannot run a stereo/leftright into them, therefore you would need a mono sum mix from the desk
[/quote]

Ok... not good then. I was talking about normal subs and tops.

The left/right point is a contentious one with subs! Apart from that brief period in the '60s when the like of Cream and The Beatles were going "wow! we have stereo, let's stick the bass on that side and the drums on the other", almost all music is recorded with instruments with sub content down the middle rather than panned.

And then in mastering true lows get tidied into the middle because it works better on playback. If you're mastering for vinyl you actually have to run the lows in mono or risk the needle jumping.

So I can't see there being problems with feeding a sub off a left or right send for recorded music. When dealing with live bands it's rare to do any significant panning and the bass and kick should always be down the middle. If you pan live music like you would recorded music then everything sounds wrong for the closer members of the audience, especially as the stage monitoring bleed will contribute to an imbalance out front.

So I'd like to think that the lack of a stereo summing input on the sub is a non-issue..

Incidentally the first customer pair of FR800s was gigged last night! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427029023' post='2724814']
The left/right point is a contentious one with subs! Apart from that brief period in the '60s when the like of Cream and The Beatles were going "wow! we have stereo, let's stick the bass on that side and the drums on the other", almost all music is recorded with instruments with sub content down the middle rather than panned.

And then in mastering true lows get tidied into the middle because it works better on playback. If you're mastering for vinyl you actually have to run the lows in mono or risk the needle jumping.

So I can't see there being problems with feeding a sub off a left or right send for recorded music. When dealing with live bands it's rare to do any significant panning and the bass and kick should always be down the middle. If you pan live music like you would recorded music then everything sounds wrong for the closer members of the audience, especially as the stage monitoring bleed will contribute to an imbalance out front.

So I'd like to think that the lack of a stereo summing input on the sub is a non-issue..

Incidentally the first customer pair of FR800s was gigged last night! :)
[/quote]

I was referring to using a one sub setup..... I would say for live use not an issue as per your post but if using for DJ purposes and I would say that if the cabs perform as you say they would then these would then DJ's would be interested.

That's what I meant too - you could use a single sub off a left or right send and it should work as well as if using a mono summed send. You just need some way to adjust the level to balance the sub with whatever tops you're using (which can be done within the DSP if need be).

Nothing specific, I'm afraid. I was hoping to be there, but something cropped up. The guitarist's a very good mate of mine - he text'd me earlier today saying that it went well, the cabs 'done the biz', and that the bass player, who also does the PA, was 'dead chuffed' with 'em.

Not sure how he used them - he normally uses a conventional amp, through a BB2.

Hoping to get to a gig next weekend...

Edited by barkin

Glad to hear it! We had this comment from another customer on our facebook: "Witnessed what must be the first Barefaced PA sale tonight, to Ash's band Bad Monkey Driver doing a pub gig - works as advertised! No separate bass guitar rig either, just DI'ed into the PA mixer with the rest of the band."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barefaced-Bass-speaker-cabs/130257677703