Why become a member? ×

HELP...Laney RB8 goes bang !!!!! A bit of technical help needed please.

A couple of years ago I donated a fairly new Laney RB8 to my son while he was at Uni in York. Shortly after that, he told me he had blown it, and that it was kaput. I finally have got it back to my house in Lichfield with a view to having it repaired if that is possible. He told me that all he did was plug it in, there was a flash, and then smoke came out of the cooling vent situated on top of the amp. Since getting it home, I have plugged it in, and on first appearance all seemed ok. The power light came on, the fan starts ok, and makes a whirring sound, and there was no smoke or odd noises. On plugging the bass guitar in and engaging the compressor, the compressor 'engaged' light comes on, and as you turn the gain (pre amp )volume up the compressor 'on' light starts to flash, showing there is a signal getting from guitar to amp. Thats where the good stuff finishes. there is no sound at all coming from the speakers, regardless of how much you either wind up the gain or the volume. That is as much as I know..... My first question is, does anyone know what it might be from this very vague description of the problem. Second, how do I remove the amp from the speaker housing to do a visual check on the amp as being a combo it does not look straight forward. And finally, are there any of you good folks near Lichfield in Staffs who could take on an assessment, and repair of one of these things. Thanks...John

You could check if the preamp section is OK by running a lead from the FX Send to another amp (preferably the FX Return on another amp as it'll be less sensitive, but normal input will be OK if you start with everything on the second amp turned right down). If that produces an output, it's either the power amp module itself or possibly the power supply, if there are separate power supply sections for the preamp and power amp. There's a block diagram on page 13 of the manual [url="http://www.laney.co.uk/uploads/990e3637fce6000ea29ca779b982005f.pdf"]http://www.laney.co.uk/uploads/990e3637fce6000ea29ca779b982005f.pdf[/url] which may help seeing what's going on.

They're made in Cradley Heath or somewhere around there - it's not so far from you - it might be worth a trip to the factory to see if you can get it serviced there. I seem to remember you can see the place from the train station - thats going back 20 odd years - so memory might be failing.!