Why become a member? ×

Double Bass bargain!

steviedee

Just bought two double basses and a cello for next to nothing at a local market the guy wanted rid of them :)

Selmer 1/2: Czech made everything intact but has a crack in the body.
Boosey And Hawkes 3/4 : has a foreign sticker in it violin bloke I know, reckons it's Czech, cracked as well and needs everything tuning pegs etc
Musima Cello: East German in great nick beginners instrument needs all the bits.

Anybody got an idea how much it would cost to fix a crack in the body of a bass, in all honestly they were so cheap it would have to be really pricey for it not to be worthwhile..

The Selmer is really lovely actually looks hand made.

What a day!

Thats my bass back from the luthier I have to say the guy was brilliant and he has done a fantastic job here is a pic

Over the moon!

Edited by steviedee

Hi folks here are the pics of the cracks so any advice or idea of costs would be much appreciated.

Selmer pretty nasty looking crack

The B+H doesn't look as bad but reckon it might be in more serious position

Any help would be appreciated!

Ouch.

But okay, definately fixable (I've seen worse that's been fixed) but since I'm not too familiar with UK rates I'll not hazard a guess and risk confusion.

Suffice to say, the total cost of the repairs+actually buying the thing would be way, way lower than a new bass of inferior quality!

Cracking find those. See if you can find a luthier/repairman up near you. There will be somebody in either Glasgow or Edinburgh that can sort the repairs and they will be able to give you a good estimate of the basses and their construction. e.g. carved or laminate, ebony fingerboard and tail piece etc...

You planning on getting into the wonderful world of double bass?

Cheers,

Nice lot! great price.
Could be expensive to repair though!

To repair a crack in the top, the top has to come off!

I have a mid 19th cent German flatback that had cracks repaired some years ago at a cost of over £800 according to its previous owner.

This book [u]http://www.henrystrobel.com/booklist.htm#bass[/u] is worth a read, but it costs nearly as much as your bargain trio!

That lower bout crack needs a proffessional repair, don't bodge it!

Please try and preserve these old instruments.

cheers
Keith

I know most luthiers in Europe charge €1000 to take the top off a bass regardless of its age/worth etc.

Stevie, you could try Paul Hyland in Anniesland College on the Great Western Road - he's the main tutor there in the violin/guitar making course. If he won't do it himself I'm sure he'll recommend some one else who will. He might even have a student willing to tackle it as a repair project which would save you a lot of money if you have the patience...

Best of luck with it

Sorry just saw your post that your going to go see some one today - let us know how you got on!

(By the way, just noticed you need a bridge for the 3/4. When I was thinking of changing out mine I was quoted around €250 for a fitting alone - but sure tell us what you've been quoted)

[quote]Stevie, you could try Paul Hyland in Anniesland College on the Great Western Road - he's the main tutor there in the violin/guitar making course. If he won't do it himself I'm sure he'll recommend some one else who will. He might even have a student willing to tackle it as a repair project which would save you a lot of money if you have the patience...[/quote]

Cheers that's a really great idea my neighbor works at Anniesland I'll try them. The guys I saw wouldn't give me a price but thought it would be expensive, I've spoke to another bloke though and he seemed pretty reasonable and has a good rep.

[quote]What market in Glasgow did you get that great deal from?? Please dont say the barra's, cos im down that side of the toon all the time!![/quote]

It was the Barras sorry mate!

[quote name='steviedee' post='265507' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:00 PM']Cheers that's a really great idea my neighbor works at Anniesland I'll try them. The guys I saw wouldn't give me a price but thought it would be expensive, I've spoke to another bloke though and he seemed pretty reasonable and has a good rep.

It was the Barras sorry mate![/quote]

Damm! LOL! :)

[quote name='Caoimhin' post='265350' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:00 PM']Sorry just saw your post that your going to go see some one today - let us know how you got on!

(By the way, just noticed you need a bridge for the 3/4. When I was thinking of changing out mine I was quoted around €250 for a fitting alone - but sure tell us what you've been quoted)[/quote]
Blimey, it's pricey over there. :) The chap at Chappel Allerton Strings did mine for way less.

Hopefully stevie can find someone to do the work for him relatively cheaply. He may even be able to pay in stages or something to help with the cost.

There has been a lot of very helpful people in touch so its been great and I reckon I'll get some help with the set up I'm a wee bit worried about the cracks. The only people have seen are good but pricey and I just got the impression they weren't really too interested in the repair business so I have some other contacts.

A friend of mine suggested I go to a guitar luthier the guy is a great craftsman but I don't know if he would do it or if he could do it but I'll find out.

Another luthier I spoke seemed to be very reasonable told me you didn't always need to take the top off you can glue the bass but there is always a chance the cracks will reopen, you know considering the bass cost around £25 its a risk I might take, this guys sounded spot on but was really busy and you know I fancy a wee shot on the bass you know how it is :)

So I'm scouting about still very positive you know its a bit of a project!