Why become a member? ×

Double Bass bargain!

steviedee

What a find! £75! You'll spend a hell of a lot more getting them sorted though. My advice is stick that cello straight on ebay as it is, get the 1/2 size set up properly and that crack sorted (depending on cost) and then sell it too, (it ain't a bass if it's that small). Then you'll have a decent pot to do up the 3/4 properly. Word of advice though, a guitar is a very different instrument to a bass. If you can't find a dedicated bass luthier in your area, a violin/cello luthier is the next best thing.

[quote name='steviedee' post='266161' date='Aug 20 2008, 11:06 AM']Another luthier I spoke seemed to be very reasonable told me you didn't always need to take the top off you can glue the bass but there is always a chance the cracks will reopen, you know considering the bass cost around £25 its a risk I might take, this guys sounded spot on but was really busy and you know I fancy a wee shot on the bass you know how it is :)[/quote]

Looks like these have come from a school music department.
The top has to come off that 1/2 size to repair the crack. The wood has shrunk too much to re-glue. It needs a fillet, not filling!
You are now the "Curator" of two old basses. Don't spoil this instrument by botching it, for the sake of a few quid.

Cheers guys I'm going to wait till the bass Luthier has some free time it's the sensible thing to do I might see if I can source some of the fittings for the B+H before I get a spot in the guys schedule. I'm in the process of seeing what I can beg, borrow or steal but quite prepared to pay the cash really.

Good idea about the cello, my girlfriend has her eye on the 1/2 and considering she encourages my bass obsession (2 double basses, a cello, 3 bass guitars, a guitarron, plus numerous keyboards and guitars) I think I should keep on her good side. She'll probably end up a better player than me though :)

Absolutely spot on about a school department probably not economical to repair when you can get a brand new Chinese instrument that can do the job for the same cash...... but they are so beautiful they can't go in the bin!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='265106' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:01 AM']To repair a crack in the top, the top has to come off![/quote]
Not necessarily.

I had similar cracks (considering size and the criticality(?) of the position) in my cheap and beaten-up upright. So my issue was similar to yours, in fact the luthier when he first saw it did the sums ... the cost of his fix (assuming taking the top off) + plus what I paid was more than an identical model bass that he had up for sale.

On that basis, to fix it it all, in a way that made economic sense, meant doing it without taking the top off. So that's what he did.

Shame you're not in London, I could point you in the direction of the guy that did the job.

Cheers, Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='269343' date='Aug 25 2008, 10:46 AM']On that basis, to fix it it all, in a way that made economic sense, meant doing it without taking the top off. So that's what he did.[/quote]

And it cost a lot less than the £400 you were quoted elsewhere.

My girlfriend guessed you got that lot from the barras when I said Glasgow market :)

[quote name='chrkelly' post='266730' date='Aug 21 2008, 12:31 AM'](it ain't a bass if it's that small).[/quote]

Harsh! It's probably a Chamber bass, which would have been used in a Chamber music group. I had one when I was learning to play, which the old man sold to buy a 3/4 . Unusual to see one with Viol shoulders, the chamber basses were often more like an overgrown cello. Mine was.

[quote]instrument to a bass. If you can't find a dedicated bass luthier in your area, a violin/cello luthier is the next best thing.[/quote]

If you can persuade them! All the violin makers I know hate working on double basses, the tools hurt their hands.

I like the idea of getting the local violin making college involved. Best of luck with this, and as someone else said you got a really good deal.

Yeah, that comment was slightly tongue in cheek. Loads of people use chamber basses because of their size, Edgar Meyer and Dave Holland to name a few. Easy to tour with, and small scale means you can shred with ease. Whilst they can be great for the virtuoso and small ensemble stuff, imo they can't reproduce the same fundamental as the bigger instruments. I suppose it's down to what sound you want. Personally I prefer more depth to my sound.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='steviedee' post='289215' date='Sep 22 2008, 03:09 PM']New pics[/quote]
Nice one.

I've just been doing some guesswork about the cost of your repairs, and I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of your fixed bass is pretty much the same as what I paid for for my (incredibly cheap, beaten up) upright before fixes. :) And I still need to cough up for strings, new bridge and replacement endpin to match the state of yours.

You lucky b*****d ! :huh:

Andy

[quote name='steviedee' post='289768' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:23 AM']Cheers Andy my lovely girlfriend actually paid for the repair as a birthday present so I don't really know the exact price but quite cheap I think![/quote]
You jammy so-and-so :)

[quote name='steviedee' post='289768' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:23 AM']You didn't get the one on ebay did you, someone saw another Golden Strad?[/quote]
Got mine in May last year, so probably not the one you're talking about.