Why become a member? ×

What's the general standard of player who reads Basschat?

lou24d53

I often read threads on here and wonder to myself just what the standard / level of the player behind these comments are, as quite often I find them extremely difficult to relate to. So I thought I'd ask for myself just to enquire what is the general standard of the Basschat fraternity and to ask if you are happy - or at least, content - with your current playing ability.

I myself have been playing off and on since I started as a music module in 5th year of high school back in 1988 - basically I needed some subjects to fill up the timetable! - so that works out at approximately 26 years since I started playing bass, although there was a 5 or 6 year hiatus in there however, probably between 2001 to 2007ish. I am however happy to admit that I am NOWHERE near the standard of player I could have, or should have, been after playing for that length of time.

When I started, I never for a moment thought I would still be playing now that I am in my 40's. Basically, I never actually bothered to LEARN the bass. I picked up and tinkered to the extent that I taught myself shapes and patterns. I taught myself to play via muscle memory, which is exactly the same method I use today. I probably should feel an element of shame in that comment, but I can assure you I certainly do not lose sleep over it. Early on, I taught myself to play to Metallica and Guns N' Roses CD's before later moving on to the early Jamiroquai and early Brand New Heavies albums. I still have a pretty varied taste in music!

I would say that I am a reliable and fairly competent player without being anything too spectacular or flashy. The band I play in - Bone Island, check out the link below for further details! :D - is an original material, classic rock influenced band. When we have gigged of late, I have had a number of really positive and complementary comments afterwards about my playing ability. I know the tunes we play inside out and I am competent enough to improvise and jam these as when and when required, even though I couldn't for a second tell you what you what key I'm playing in or the notes I'm playing!!

I was at the Moffat Bass Bash on Sunday past and I have no shame in admitting that I was undoubtedly in the lower echelons of bass playing talent in the room when sampling the delightful basses on offer. It doesn't pain me to say that. I can appreciate the talents of other people but still enjoy doing what I do and accepting the standard I am currently and probably am going to be for the remainder of my time playing.

In the last three years or so however, I did make a conscious effort to try and improve my playing ability and bass knowledge and I must have spent over £500.00, forking out for numerous one-to-one lessons, buying bass books, enrolling for online courses etc. The upshot of all of which left me no further forward, £500.00 down in the bank and basically feeling considerably frustrated to the point where I was bordering on selling up everything I owned and chucking it altogether. The problem I found was that I had been playing for so long the way I play, I found it extremely difficult to 'unlearn' all the methods I had taught myself and 'relearn' them the way I should have been playing.

It's a hobby for me, one I thoroughly enjoy granted, but one where I know, accept and am content about my abilities and limitations.

Yes, if I was starting out all over again, I would do it all differently, but at present I'm enjoying myself too much in my current band to go about beating myself up about my failings!

So that's me...

Edited by lou24d53

I often wonder the same as I read some funny things in some threads.

I know there seems to be more than a few people who don't want real
top TOP players to contribute as a few have joined and quickly found it wasn't
for them. This is very small minded, IMO and that might actually define the place.
I think the main demographic is semi pro/week-end warrior as in most don't rely
on playing bass for sole income. It is a place for pub bass players mainly.
How many could or would want to step up from there is likely to be debatable?
Maybe much less than 5% would/could in terms of desire and ability...?

See, that comment above from CamdenRob surprises me also.

I admit though, I am guilty of making incorrect judgements / guesses of what I 'assume' a users standard or level - call it what you want - to be based on the quality of the gear they display in the sig.

So I'm seeing mentions of Wal and I automatically start thinking, "hmmm, must be a session player or semi-pro at least!"... :lol:

Interesting question - I suppose it depends on your definition of standard or what a good player is (to be honest I'm not sure how I'd define either).

I've seen/heard some people on here playing some really impressive stuff & also seen/heard more basic lines but played to perfection locked in with the drums, I couldn't say which is better.

I would be interested to see what % of posters on here have taken their basses out into the wild though...

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1426688490' post='2720802']
See, that comment above from CamdenRob surprises me also.

I admit though, I am guilty of making incorrect judgements / guesses of what I 'assume' a users standard or level - call it what you want - to be based on the quality of the gear they display in the sig.

So I'm seeing mentions of Wal and I automatically start thinking, "hmmm, must be a session player or semi-pro at least!"... :lol:
[/quote]

Naah definitely just a hobbyist :) I only play originals for fun.

Used to do a bit of teaching a good few years back but then give it all up. Work comes first for me and the music is a welcome distraction :)

All sorts. It is like any pyramid of ability. More people at the bottom, fewer at the top and a gradient in between. There are absolute ('I have had a bass three weeks; which end do I blow into') beginners through to major pros. The level of playing is equally varied. The art is to understand who has the most sensible and mature answers to any questions. Remember, good teachers are not necessarily great players and great players are not necessarily good teachers. What you get here is a wide variety of opinions and abilities and, by trawling through each thread, you get a concensus. It is always interesting to hear what people on here are doing but it is also important to recognise when what you are seeing is someone's party piece not their basic level of competence. In truth, there are plenty of people on here who are better than most of us and plenty who are worse. It doesn't matter.

I have very low standards :)

In all seriousness, how good or bad doesn't really matter. It is what you do with the skills you have. I am an accomplished hobbyist of 25 years (early 40s) with limited reading skills but reasonable understanding of scales and such, my approach to bass playing always has been to tie with the drummer and create the foundation for a band to be the best it can be. That means I do not solo (often) or create hugely intricate parts (often) but I do make my band a better band.

Does that make me better of worse than anyone else? Who knows, I am happy with what I do and ultimately music is a way to express who you are as a person. IMO.

Enthusiastic Amateur. Have been in a couple of bands for fun. Just started doing my own home studio recording. I help to run a youth music project at my church, helping to run the youth band and we've just started hosting gig nights. I play bass at church fairly regularly however the young lad i taught the basics to has taken over from me, so i'm now playing drums and electric guitar. I also help to do sound, and play bass at a bigger less frequent region youth service. I have a music degree and am just about to take 2-4 months out from my job to have a rest and spend a lot of time practicing all my instruments to a LOT higher standard as i may be doing a music performance course. I also want to spend time writing and recording my own music.

Edited by The Badderer

For me technical ability is a means to an end and the the end itself.

I would classify myself as a composer/songwriter first and foremost, producer/arranger second, band member third, and lastly a musician.

For me the final product be it a recording or live performance is more interesting than the technical ability of the people performing it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426690422' post='2720844']
For me the final product be it a recording or live performance is more interesting than the technical ability of the people performing it.
[/quote]

That's always how I've approached it for sure.

Im only a beginner and probable at a average level for my almost 2 years playing. I only comment when i feel i can offer something.
Self taught and glad i am only recently really honing my playing i know what works and what does not from experience. I hope my development continues.

I am much better at setup work, light repairs basically spent 2 years really learning about the luthiery side in various ways. Spent money on tools and sometime soon will be attending a few shorter courses with the intent on doing setups, light repairs, electrical work etc etc as a little business.

I would never give bad advice unless its possibly on other subjects not related to playing or setups etc lol.

Always willing to learn more and i really like basschat its for the most part fun and friendly. With fantastic members.

One last thing is i refuse to learn any more than basic theory as i just have no interest in it also find my brain does not comprehend it, so this i keep out of.

I'm a basic hobbyist. I've been playing/learning for about 5 years, but it's not as simple as 2 years enables you to do X and 4 year equips you to do X+.

I was at a Bass Bash some time back. I would class myself as the least experienced guy in the room. Most others were in bands and certainly could display better chops than I can or probably foresee being able to in some time yet.

At the Bash a good member came along and did a presentation on Modes and how they're constructed. I was staggered to find out that most folk in the room knew nothing of Modes. I was probably the most knowledgeable guy in the audience on that subject.

My approach to bass is clearly much more theory based than most here take. I'm not a great one for playing along by ear to CD tracks. Who's right?
I'd guess if most folk took my line they'd have quit of boredom by now.

Where I can advise is on repair of gear. I used to be an electronics engineer. I know how to repair and finish furniture and a lot of that brings transferable skills.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426690422' post='2720844']
For me technical ability is a means to an end and the the end itself.

I would classify myself as a composer/songwriter first and foremost, producer/arranger second, band member third, and lastly a musician.

[/quote]

I'm very similar. I'd say I'm better on bass than I am at my other instruments, but for all of them, I can play them to the standard required to play the music I've written.

Been playing for some 34 years now. Am nowhere near as good as I should be for having played that amount of time, but I can play what I need to for my band (and all those I`ve been in as well). I know a few scales, and nothing about modes - however I`d bet I`m already playing this stuff, just that I don`t know it. Drummers seem to be quite happy with my playing though, and I usually get called "steady" and "the man who holds it all together". Music is my hobby, what I do outside of the regular day to day life to have fun. Of course it would be great to be doing what I`m currently doing with my band as a job, but realistically that`s not going to happen. I consider myself lucky to have such a great hobby, and am thankful I took up an instrument that I love.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1426689633' post='2720824']
Enthusiastic Amateur. Have been in a couple of bands for fun.
[/quote]

Ditto here. I enjoy taking the learning process as far as I can. I am lucky in that I have the time to do so, as I took voluntary redundancy from my job a few years ago. At present, I am teaching myself to read music. Might never use it, but I get a kick out of picking up a written piece and (...very slowly at present...) being able to play it. I'd say I am around the intermediate mark. Have had a few teachers, but generally self taught.

One year of bass playing and loving it, jamming with friends is cool also apearing live in the front room with my family makes a good audience but one is two and the other half must be half bored of me practicing so not sure if im any good :-) iam really loving basschat good stories nice people and really helpfu.l love the build diaries move over royal blood ;-)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1426695187' post='2720926']
I'm a basic hobbyist. I've been playing/learning for about 5 years, but it's not as simple as 2 years enables you to do X and 4 year equips you to do X+.

I was at a Bass Bash some time back. I would class myself as the least experienced guy in the room. Most others were in bands and certainly could display better chops than I can or probably foresee being able to in some time yet.

At the Bash a good member came along and did a presentation on Modes and how they're constructed. I was staggered to find out that most folk in the room knew nothing of Modes. I was probably the most knowledgeable guy in the audience on that subject.

My approach to bass is clearly much more theory based than most here take.[b] I'm not a great one for playing along by ear to CD tracks. Who's right?[/b]
I'd guess if most folk took my line they'd have quit of boredom by now.

Where I can advise is on repair of gear. I used to be an electronics engineer. I know how to repair and finish furniture and a lot of that brings transferable skills.
[/quote]

Friend of mine has just joined a soul band and said he loved learning all the classic Chic etc etc soul tunes.
What struck me was that he didn't know them already as he had been playing for years..?
Maybe he listened to too narrow a collection of music, and maybe it depends what you put yourself
out to play but I wore out vinyl records when I was a kid by playing these things over and over..
I had to go out and learn the 60's RnB tracks from Stax and Atlantic etc etc when I joined a band
that the guys grew up with on that stuff, but I do think you should put yourself in all sorts on non comfort
zones if you want to play. After a few years, you'll have a library of hundreds of songs and you'll be
able to play them in any key... That is ear training and busking. Add formal music lessons
and understanding theory and you'll have most bases covered.
All you need to do is keep up your playing time and you'll be called a lot..

I have no idea how to assess my ability.

I can play 'Colorado Bulldog' but trying to sight read anything over Grade 2 makes my brain collapse.

I can learn almost anything by ear if it is in 3/4 or 4/4 (even though I couldn't read above Grade 2) but as soon as we get into 6/8 or proper weird sh*t I might as well just unplug.

I suppose I'm competent at things I am most familiar with and bloody awful on the rest! :D

I'm not a great player, my theory isn't great- I can bang out scales and modes ok, but I find applying this knowledge when I'm playing to be difficult.

The problem I have, if it is a problem at all, is I have a good ear. Although this is great for beginning to learn and when I was a nipper, and means I can get a tune out of almost anything, it also means I've never really bothered to learn any theory- so, if I do decide to 'go for a wander' in a song, I don't have the knowledge to get back where I was!

I'm a pub player, and what interests me the most about technique is actually the right hand style and the deft touches/ghost notes that can create a groove. This is what I practice most, and have most fun playing. As a for instance, I check out some of marlowedk's stuff on YouTube- it's one thing playing what he's playing, but another entirely to make it [i]sound[/i] like that.

Good idea for a thread.

The dreaded term semi pro applies for me. I go from pub gigs through to sessions at major studios, just happy to be out playing. I wouldn't describe my playing as stellar but I can read most shows and learn material by ear if necessary. If I could do it 100% of the time I would, but I earn more having a day job and playing 70/80 gigs a year than the full time pros I know.

I describe myself as a semi-pro bass player and guitarist. That has more to do with how I approach the engagements I do, and the bands who I work with, than with my level of technical ability. I see plenty people more capable than me, and a fair few less capable, so I am somewhere in the middle ability-wise. However, I am more useful to a band than a sh!t-hot player who doesn't prepare for the gig, turn up on time, help with the load-in/out, dress appropriately, etc...