Why become a member? ×

What's the general standard of player who reads Basschat?

lou24d53

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426695312' post='2720929']
Been playing for some 34 years now. Am nowhere near as good as I should be for having played that amount of time, but I can play what I need to for my band (and all those I`ve been in as well). I know a few scales, and nothing about modes - however I`d bet I`m already playing this stuff, just that I don`t know it. Drummers seem to be quite happy with my playing though, and I usually get called "steady" and "the man who holds it all together". Music is my hobby, what I do outside of the regular day to day life to have fun. Of course it would be great to be doing what I`m currently doing with my band as a job, but realistically that`s not going to happen. I consider myself lucky to have such a great hobby, and am thankful I took up an instrument that I love.
[/quote]

Great topic!

I really like this site as opposed to some of the other sites. For one, a lot less trolling. I think we have everything here from bedroom noodlers to guys out there on pro level tours. And a lot of bar/pub band hustlers like me trying to make some money. You know the guys out there always looking for that next gig, that next couple of hundred bucks sitting in your wallet types.

Me, sort of the same as Lozz. Been playing for over 40 years and I'm passionate about it always gigging and trying to learn more. I guess I'm average, Thing is it's hard to say. I don't know what I would sound like playing with real top shelf folks, never seem to be able to network myself in with those world class types.

This is more than a hobby for me, I really depend on gig money to get me through each month. No family, hobbies or other interest for me. This rock and roll and electric bass guitar playing and singing is all I have.

The topics here are really informative, my only complaint is, it's hard to come up with an intelligent response to some issues because in some cases the age and length of time playing and level of play is unknown. I'm 62.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426698197' post='2720984']
I describe myself as a semi-pro bass player and guitarist. That has more to do with how I approach the engagements I do, and the bands who I work with, than with my level of technical ability. I see plenty people more capable than me, and a fair few less capable, so I am somewhere in the middle ability-wise. However, I am more useful to a band than a sh!t-hot player who doesn't prepare for the gig, turn up on time, help with the load-in/out, dress appropriately, etc...
[/quote]

Yeah, that's about me. Except the guitar bit. :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426717441' post='2721319']

I don't know what I would sound like playing with real top shelf folks, never seem to be able to network myself in with those world class types.

[/quote]

It's music. Again it's a confidence thing. What are they going to expect you to play that's any different to what anyone else is going to expect?

In my experience, if you can play a solid line and lock in with the drummer, you've done what's expected.

Flashy solos are all well and good but in most situations no one is going to expect the bass player to take the lead.

I know I'm not as good as I was :)
I used to do it as a regular thing somewhere in the lower levels of semi pro .... I then had a time away from it following a motorcycle accident and took to simply entertaining myself with an acoustic guitar.... Did that for quite some time.
But in recent years ive come back to the fundamental roots of being what I am, at heart, a bass player.

I've fell deeply in love with it again and come to realise I am deffinately a bass player. That being affirmed by some exceptional guitarists I know who have the opinion that what I do is as much as a deffinate style or technique which is that of ...... A bass player, ie not something a guitarist could do with a bass in there hands.

I love what I do, which at present is some session stuff for a guy with a publishing deal....

I sometimes play and impress myself, other times I feel like a ham fisted novice.....
I am always acutely aware that the Internet is full of YouTube clips of players who can make me feel good about my skill level or those who can crush me to the point of thinking "why am I bothering "....
The same goes for playing with other musicians, especially drummers.... They can make you play fantastically or make you miserable as hell.

The main thing is, I get so much enjoyment out of playing....

I admire all who try.

Been playing / learning for a year but feel as if I am way behind the curve. Just taken my third grade exam (Rockschool) but have no idea of how to improvise or even understand music theory, let alone jam with another person.

Edited by Bobthedog

I don't play anymore.

I started on keys when I was 5, got a guitar when I was 12 & a bass a year later. Keys was my main tool for years, but I always liked the basslines.
I'd say I'm a competent musician on those 3 instruments. I think I'm ok on bass. I've had a few compliments on my playing, so I can't be too bad.
I can read score & understand theory (though it could & should be better), though I don't do much in the way of sight reading (sometimes I'll play C instead of A :P ).

Saying I don't play... I was sitting playing some Sam Smith on the acoustic today & then had a wee blast on the bass along to some Primus (first time I've touched the bass this year). Good fun.

No musical background. Picked up my first bass in 1999 aged 51. Learned the basslines to 'Walk Don't Run' and 'Apache'. Played with brother and friends. Formed a covers band and played 50's 60's and 70's numbers at WMC's/pubs/Weddings/festivals. Stopped gigging last year. Still practice every week and am involved with a music group at the community centre.

Scant musical knowledge and self taught with elder brothers guidance, he plays rhythm. With practice the band put together a pretty tight set of instrumentals and vocals with a male and female singer.

As a musician I shall remain an amateur. But I locked in with a good drummer and had a great time doing something I missed out in my youth.

I intend to mess around more with home recording in my old age. Love my guitars and audio equipment.

I've been playing 'properly' for just over 35 years now - yeah I know, I don't look old enough... :D

A bit of a mixed bag with me - I 'went pro' in the mid to late 80's but jumped ship and got a 'proper job', although I've never had much of a break from playing in various bands during the intervening years.

No real regrets about leaving the pro circuit, you need to be pretty damn good [b]and[/b] incredibly lucky to make it - I didn't like the constant gamble. :)

The most important thing I took from it was professionalism - not the ability to play a lydian augmented scale at 120mph, but behaviour.

I always know my parts, I'm always on time, I'm always equipped to do the job and I take quiet pleasure in getting things 'just right'.

I'd class my standard of playing as 'pretty reasonable', but I'm far more swayed by the opinions of others than my own - I can't remember the exact saying, but there's one something along the lines of 'if you want a true picture, never believe a self proclaimed expert'. :)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1426729407' post='2721406']
I'm not good enough to play a lot of the stuff I actually want to play and/or write. I'd say that for someoen who has been playing for the same length of time as me (just under 5 years) I'm about average...
[/quote]

If it's any consolation, I can remember trying to play a particular piece of music when I was a relative newbie to bass and gave it up as impossible.

A few years later I found the cassette (remember those? :D) and tried again - nailed it on the second play.

I didn't think much had changed in those intervening years, but it had - slowly and surely without consciously realising it.

After the initial and bitter realisation at 18 that being a rock god, adored by all, was not going to happen, I spent the following 45 years having fun with my music hobby. I play a bit of this, a bit of that, get some seriously good money sometimes and play for free at other times. Sometimes to 3,000 people, sometimes to 6 people and an elderly Border Collie.

We all feel we'd like to be better but to what end? if you can sight read, play anything that comes into your head and do all the other stuff associated with being a really great player, the chances are that playing would be your living, which in itself, changes how you feel about it.

I should have worked harder at it without doubt but I certainly wouldn't want my financial survival to depend on it.

I'm another weekend warrior - I really should do more but I'm too lazy. I'd place myself as being in the top 25% of Dog and Duck players, so Victor Wooten can rest easy. Mind you, seeing Steve Lawson at the Moffat Bass Bash has got me to get the 7-string back out and start trying to work the B3's looper.

Real good thread.

Its great to hear other players experiences. Food for the soul.

I always thought myself a beginner, have been playing bass for about 10 years total, with a few years gap between (drugs and alcohol got in the way)...

Have always pushed forward with theory and being in bands, jamming with people. I find myself very depressed if I'm not involved in something like a band or recording project.

In the last few years my ability as a bass player went to an all time low. It kind of felt like I was in a major rut, couldn't learn and felt embarrassed to play at times. I pushed really really hard to improve myself with bass and other instruments and it has paid off. I now find I can really gel with any other musicians, am consistently complemented and get asked to play at jams and such.

As for reading, I have never delved into trying to sight read for bass. I learned to read music while playing keyboard for years so maybe its something I should pick up again and progress further to make me a better all round bass player with sight reading skills...

I've been playing for 20+ years but have only ever intermittently worked at technical skills, and I know I could be a lot more proficient. I've always had complimentary comments from every drummer I've played with but I know deep down that I could be a lot better- there are certainly a load of players I see on the likes of YT that really impress me. I've never really got the hang of the slap style and that frustrates me a little.

I'm a solid gigging bass player, but I would love to be able to really ramp up my skills with time to practice and I'd love to go pro.

20 years a play at home Guitard and switched to bass two years ago. Joined my first band and did my first ever gig last August. Now regularly gigging in pub covers band (Classic/hard rock). Learned 30-40 songs for the band but have next to no understanding of theory and probably very bad technique. But do I enjoy it, of course. :D
I'd like to take bass more seriously than guitar (was self taught) and get some lessons, theory under my belt and maybe even do some grade/exams at some point.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1426761701' post='2721582']
I've been playing for 28 years, and been earning my living from teaching and playing / recording for 13.
Ability wise I see players that I feel are better than myself, but I know that if needed I could reach the required standard fairly quickly for almost any situation.
[/quote]

Generally players find their levels after a while, but if you should ever find yourself playing with a world class
player, then that should either 'deflate' you as in being way out of your depth and seriously out classed
or you get a bump as you know you at least can hang on to their coat tails, to a degree.

It is all useful and relative.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1426730496' post='2721407']
The most important thing I took from it was professionalism - not the ability to play a lydian augmented scale at 120mph, but behaviour.

[/quote]

This. It really is what sorts the bullsh*tt*rs from the class players.

p.s. A lydian augmented what ? B)

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I'm a hobbyist . I got my first Bass when I was 20 , Hondo 2 still got it :) . Right around this time I took up Judo , which subsequently took over my life for the next 25 years … work , marriage , divorce , obsession with Judo and all that comes with meant it my Bass would be picked up rarely if ever in that time span .... 2006- I dug the Bass out , started playing it , jammed a couple of times with a former Pro Drummer , who , being the great guy that he is , didn't laugh at all at my playing :rolleyes: Acquired new gear :D Then 2 years ago me , the Drummer ( who is now the Singer ) and 2 relative newbies ( Guitar & Drums ) got together to Jam covers for fun . Last November we recorded a 5 track demo/EP of original songs at a local studio and we are now knocking together 3 more to record .

I can't read music , know very little theory , though I'm trying to learn . I've no idea what standard I am , I just enjoy my Hobby :)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1426753806' post='2721474']
After the initial and bitter realisation at 18 that being a rock god, adored by all, was not going to happen, I spent the following 45 years having fun with my music hobby. I play a bit of this, a bit of that, get some seriously good money sometimes and play for free at other times. Sometimes to 3,000 people, sometimes to 6 people and an elderly Border Collie.

We all feel we'd like to be better but to what end? if you can sight read, play anything that comes into your head and do all the other stuff associated with being a really great player, the chances are that playing would be your living, which in itself, changes how you feel about it.

I should have worked harder at it without doubt but I certainly wouldn't want my financial survival to depend on it.
[/quote]

Snap, but I'm totally dyslexic when it comes to reading music even though I've tried, on and off, for years.

Is it harder to learn how to play rock & roll today then it was 50 years ago?

Back in the 60s we were just a bunch of kids, we aquired guitars and basses and someone knew a few notes or chords, we learned from listening to 45 rpm records and built on that. It worked.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1426783505' post='2721938']
Once, in about 1990, I was kicked out of a band audition with the words "And don't come back until you can play" ringing in my ears.

I haven't progressed much since then...
[/quote] :lol: Like it !