Why become a member? ×

Active to passive to conversion on an Ibanez 1205 with Nordstrands

j0lly j

Help needed.

I have an Ibanez 1205 5 string which has the Big Singles Nordstrand pickups. Its a great bass for the money- effortless playability and great tone. Excellent B string as well. The fact is though I really have gone off active electronics and instead can get the tone I need from the pickup blend knob and my plucking technique. Therefore I'd like to make this bass truly passive with just volume, pick up blend and a singe tone control like a jazz bass has.

I know you can switch this bass to passive but all that does is bypass the pre-amp. It still doesn't sound truly passive and still needs the battery to produce sound.

I'm aware of some after market 'super' passive pots which claim to do wonders.

Any suggestions? I love this bass but feel the 'Nords' let loose without the electronics would sound so much better!!

Edited by j0lly j

My advice, if you are comfortable with soldering. Just get CTS pots (standard 500k), wire and a 0.47uF cap (I like Orange drops), you do not need anything fancy.You can also PM our [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ki0gon [/font][/color]and ask for advice (he can also make them for you).

Edited by HazBeen

A standard Jazz has 2 Vols and a Tone, (well not really a tone control just a treble bleed).
That said if you want to make it Vol/Blend/Tone it is pretty simple if you are OK with soldering. I've got a diagram of the wiring for V/B/T if you want it. Just drop me a PM and I'll send it.
If not another vote for Ki0gon. He will provide a complete loom and as long as you document where everything went, you can always put it back.

I'd advise 250k pots with the Nordstrands. I recently went from 500k to 250k in my jazz bass with those pickups and it sounds so much better now: less brittle and scratchy sounding.

I bought a complete wiring kit from [url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/3-Control-Bass-Wiring-Kit-p/3potbasswiringkit.htm"]axesrus[/url]

D.

[quote name='j0lly j' timestamp='1426944651' post='2723770']
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies so far- really helpful! Who is the Ki0gen contact you mention ? Cant find him here??
[/quote]

Here you go: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/"]http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/[/url]

Haven't had the pleasure of getting anything from KiOgen yet - but the reputation is very very good. Approach with confidence ;) .