Why become a member? ×

standard of rehearsal rooms

lojo

Just wondering if its just me

Putting together a new set , we've done a few session in a house , everyones on it and knows there stuff, sounds great , big smiles, and some productive tweaking of arrangments, keyboard sounds, parts and endings etc. Totally inspiring all round, amazing sound.

Roll on to last night, final run through in a rented rehearsal room, PA monitor on ceiling only worked for 1 channel, which took us ages to figure out and really didn't help as it was not good enough to put clear BVs out on the other ones behind the drums, also the general sound was impossible.

We are all experienced weekend functions players (warriors) and have dealt with all the live issues that exist over the years, and experienced quality rehearsal space.

Some blame is of course on us, but how much, is it just me , or are these rooms often awful, at best it could be used to gain confidence with arrangements/structures, but nothing else ?

Edited by lojo

Hardly done any rehearsals with the band I've been in for last 2 years but before that used to rehearse fairly regularly with previous projects. There's a big range in standard and usually you get what you pay for though having said that the new guys I'm rehearsing with use a place which isn't bad and it's probably as cheap as anywhere. The big drawback is it is up an iron fire escape type set of stairs as it is on a first floor. I only take minimal gear with me but it's still a pain. On the other hand a band I was in years ago used to rehearse in a textile factory basement and it was awful. We'd have to go round other unused rooms 'borrowing' bits just to get a half decent drum kit together. I recall kneeling down to try to coax a usable EQ from the bass combo that was provided and when i stood up there was a dark patch soaked through on my knee due to the carpet being so damp. As Chris says, often the PA isn't up to much and you have to fill in your imagination how the performance will actually sound through your own PA. As a final check its worth having the occasional full band set up its own gear in an empty room to fine tune the sound.

Edited by KevB

Some rooms are just awful and the money they charge for it is a joke.
I wouldn't go back there.
Either the guy has idiot bands or he thinks that the kit supplied doesn't
have to be good. Either way I'd avoid.

One reasonable way to determine what a studio is like...is to check out
what refreshments are free.. ... :lol: :lol:

We took all our own gear/amps , as its really set up with specific sounds / settings from guitars, keys and bass (varied 80s) which is why it was so disappointing, it wasn't just a run through with any old amps, we where really looking at sounds, levels on different parts etc.

Edited by lojo

As above, they vary wildly, it's not always proportional to the cost either. But if you have any problems with the equipment you are paying to hire you should immediately get them to sort it out rather than struggle with unfamiliar equipment. Partly because trial and error can lead to breaking something accidentally (which is why alot of practice room stuff doesn't work properly), and partly because you are paying the facility to provide a functioning PA (and usually backline too).

IF it does not work properly, it's no different to turning up to play a gig and saying "we've only learnt half the set, but we want to get paid in full".
I.E not acceptable! The audacity of some of these places makes me rage actually.

Used famous rooms near London Bridge for a while until we realised we really didn't need a 48-channel desk and a Turbo PA... now using a nice room under railway arches in East London which is perfect for our needs. Good, basic kit and great sound (when there are no trains running overhead...)

When I was in a touring band back in the day we used John Henry's in north London which is excellent... trouble is there is every conceivable bit of kit you can possibly imagine in a huge warehouse there, and it's all for sale or hire... GAS! GAS! GAS!!

Edited by discreet

Yes they vary hugely, I have to agree with above as well; Enterprise are (were?) the worst I've used though those ones in Borough come a close second.

Is there much point in using all your own kit & trying to get the levels right in a rehearsal studio? I'd have thought the levels (and EQs) would be completely out compared to what you'd need in a big open room for a gig...

used Berkeley studios in Glasgow which had pretty good quality PA. The guys would come round start of your hire period and set up or adjust PA to suit you and what you needed. Ampeg bass gear with some Ashdown, Aguilar amps with Marshall gtr amps and Pearl drum kits. All pretty good i have to admit for £30 / 3hrs.
Now using FM Studios in Cumbernauld. Similar feel to these guys too altho the PA is good it's not good enough to take keyboards but they do supply Roland KYS amps which seem pretty good. Big rooms, plenty of space and all very clean and tidy. Recommended.

Have been in others charging same amount but gear sh*t and stuck in a basement room you couldn't swing a cat in.
If its not don't go back but get the studio eng to sort problems. Its you that's paying for the kit not to sort it for them.

Dave

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1426845282' post='2722523']
Is there much point in using all your own kit & trying to get the levels right in a rehearsal studio? I'd have thought the levels (and EQs) would be completely out compared to what you'd need in a big open room for a gig...
[/quote]

I agree, It was more to do with sounds (effects, and keys sounds for each song etc) along with some individual understanding of volume control within song parts, as the kind of gigs we will be doing we wont always have an engineer. The great thing about this 80s set is that every song requires a different sound, unlike the previous stuff weve been doing.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426844615' post='2722507']
Used famous rooms near London Bridge for a while until we realised we really didn't need a 48-channel desk and a Turbo PA... now using a nice room under railway arches in East London which is perfect for our needs. Good, basic kit and great sound (when there are no trains running overhead...)

When I was in a touring band back in the day we used John Henry's in north London which is excellent... trouble is there is every conceivable bit of kit you can possibly imagine in a huge warehouse there, and it's all for sale or hire... GAS! GAS! GAS!!
[/quote]

Where is the arch in East London please?.....i travel to Holloway Road to rehearse.

[quote name='pqs' timestamp='1426846398' post='2722544']
We use Storm rehearsals on the Holloway Road good equipment clean as well, before that we used Enterprise!
[/quote]

We use Storm too at Holloway Rd.....pretty good but does get some noise problems at times from the railway lines.

Is it compulsory that they are run by idiots? We used one once a week for two years, they charged more than anywhere else and a membership fee, e had to renew the membership fee every year and when the guitarists Mom died the day before our rehearsal they charged us the full fee. Now I'm all in favor of charging if you cancel to stop kids booking it and not turning up but after two years money plus drinks etc you'd think they might wave that one?
We've never been back so that's £120 a month lost to save them £31.50 :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

The guitarist in my band runs a rehearsal/recording studio. This is the second one he has owned. His first one was full of good gear, had good rooms etc. he even had a cleaner who cleaned all the rooms. He set it up like this as he was fed up with sh*tty rehearsal spaces with sh*tty gear that he rehearsed in with bands. However, he quickly realised why. People treat your gear like sh*t. Bands not knowing hoe to use equipment properly. Blowing speakers channels, drum kits etc. He shut down that studio and opened a more modest one with more modest gear. Saved loads of money constantly getting stuff repaired and saved on rent.

We've had some places so dire you wouldn't believe.
We let our drummer sort us out a room once. It was on this lock up on a traveller encampment. There was someone (and a rabbit) living in there the whole time. Patched electricity from a pole, etc.
Anyway it transpired that someone had been kidnapped and tortured in the very lock up next door - while we were actually there! :o

We never went back after that.
But my Dad got to say "Poor f**ker really was being tortured if he had to listen to you lot"

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426849332' post='2722608']
Is it compulsory that they are run by idiots?
[/quote]

Seemingly, but I imagine if you had brain surgeon or rocket scientist potential you'd probably opt for more gainful employment...

My biggest gripe is PAs are usually nowhere near powerful enough. We dont rehearse particularly loud but in some places we've been to, we have had to turn right down on amps just to hear vox.
Current one we use though is only a small place with 2 rooms and only a handful of people use it so everything is in good nick. Problem is unless more people use it it will probably fold

This is where we go- it's worth a post after having been on a tour of some of the pits around GM, old canalside units, old crumbling mills where I've had to carry kit up wobbling fire escapes, and wander around in the dark tripping over paint pots.

This place is clean, and reliable and the owner is a genuinely nice guy.

And (having just checked it out to make sure I got the link right- I'm on the front page)

http://www.shure5studios.co.uk/

Does no one check out the studio and have a walk round before they book?

My locals (Hertford/Welwyn area) are:
FarmFactory
Graphic Nature
The Practice Roomz

Although I don't think I've been to any in at least 5-6 years now. Probably longer.

Edited by TimR