Why become a member? ×

standard of rehearsal rooms

lojo

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1426851829' post='2722672']
My biggest gripe is PAs are usually nowhere near powerful enough. We dont rehearse particularly loud but in some places we've been to, we have had to turn right down on amps just to hear vox.
[/quote]

In those that have a few adjoining rooms I can see why they would do it as the soundproofing is often inadequate. If you are not careful you can get into escalating 'loudness wars' in adjoining rooms. There is some noticeable bleed through from the adjoining rooms in the ones I'm using with the new project.

A previous band I was in used to rehearse at Magnet in Nottingham. Normally it was a great place with decent gear, although we only ever used the PA in the room and brought all our own drums and backline. However one day we had reasonably well known local band Six By Seven in the room next to ours. They were so loud that we could hear them over the top of all but the most raucous parts of our songs. In the end we gave up and went home as we simply couldn't hear what we were doing well enough for the rehearsal to be of any use.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426858912' post='2722804']
A previous band I was in used to rehearse at Magnet in Nottingham. Normally it was a great place with decent gear, although we only ever used the PA in the room and brought all our own drums and backline. However one day we had reasonably well known local band Six By Seven in the room next to ours. They were so loud that we could hear them over the top of all but the most raucous parts of our songs. In the end we gave up and went home as we simply couldn't hear what we were doing well enough for the rehearsal to be of any use.
[/quote]

You should have gone in and spoken to them about your Four By Two project. 😄

When I look back at the rehearsal rooms we used to frequent when I was a youngster, certain things have improved.

Cigarette burns in the carpet, freezing cold in winter, boiling hot in the summer and toilets that'd cause raised eyebrows at Porton Down have (generally) been eradicated now.

The one 'constant' is that the gear is often well past it's prime and, if it's not, it'll generally be faulty.

Unfortunately, in the same way that you don't have to stop a hire car before putting it in reverse, equipment is mistreated.

We just hire a room now and take our own equipment.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1426856735' post='2722765']
Does no one check out the studio and have a walk round before they book?

My locals (Hertford/Welwyn area) are:
FarmFactory
Graphic Nature
The Practice Roomz

Although I don't think I've been to any in at least 5-6 years now. Probably longer.
[/quote]

I could probably mention 5 locally and only one, IMO, is fit for purpose as it is a
studio room which hires out as a rehearsal room in downtime.
P.A is not universally loved as it is an old Celestion but it is decent enough.
Playback is thru CD or tape so a basic record is possible and all the kit works..
plus the tea room is free.
The others are more expensive and have shot P.A's and I can see the point about putting
in crap gear as it will get damaged at some point, but that just means you have to vet the idiots out.
Since the studio I mentioned above is massively over subscribed, the idiots can be hived off..

We tend to use Studios in their down time if poss...even if it means we lump some of our own gear in.
The clientele tends to means the toilets and kitchens work and are at least clean...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1426856735' post='2722765']
Does no one check out the studio and have a walk round before they book?

My locals (Hertford/Welwyn area) are:
FarmFactory
Graphic Nature
The Practice Roomz

Although I don't think I've been to any in at least 5-6 years now. Probably longer.
[/quote]

Cheers for this Tim...I've been trying to find somewhere to rehearse in St Albans with little success. The only thing I can find is The Pioneer which charges £20ph...sent the details to drummer and guitarist.

They do vary a lot as does the price.

Used to use Greenhouse in Stockport before it closed - after the winter before last we never went back though - I don't mind the occasional damp spot but all in the right context. 8kw PA was a bit overkill too.

Main band uses a small place in a Mill - PA is shonky but we store our own gear there including a mixer and the sound's much better that way. @ £30/week it's a bargain as they're not charging storage.

Other band I'm in started in Trackside, Macclesfield and that place is clean, warm, has a vending machine and everything works. A bit pricey though so we now use a space above a tyre-fitters in Congleton that's run by a local punk outfit. Not so tidy but really cheap and friendly.

Main band is on the look out for our own permanent space though so we can be really lazy and just leave everything set up!

The place I rehearse is one of the nicest ones I've played in.practiced in so many that have huge guitar amps and an old worn bass practice amp. these are generally the places that smell weird, don't offer free tea/coffee/storage and cost a fortune.

Because of the time we practice 3-6 every Thursday we get 3 hours for £15 and the equipment is pretty great. Ampeg SVT 6x10, good P.A, kits are generally sounding good depending on who 'tuned' them last, free coffee (proper coffee!) And WiFi. Even let our drummist borrow cymbals for a gig once for free.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1426852661' post='2722695']
Anyone know of a good rehearsal room (pa only) situated somewhere between KT10 (elmbridge, esher area) and the west side of Croydon ?
[/quote]

You could try Tweeters in Leatherhead? (studio is just off the M25 or the A243 depending on which direction you're coming from). They've got three rooms on the ground floor which are PA only.

http://www.tweeters.ltd.uk/Tweeters/Tweeters_Rehearsal_Studios_Home.html

Have used them in the past, and they've usually been pretty good.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1426845282' post='2722523']
Yes they vary hugely, I have to agree with above as well; Enterprise are (were?) the worst I've used though those ones in Borough come a close second.
[/quote]

I've been there, the one near borough station? Its awful the guy was comically rude to everyone... so much so that I thought it must be an act but looking back on it I reckon he was just a twat.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1426846844' post='2722556']
We use Storm too at Holloway Rd.....pretty good but does get some noise problems at times from the railway lines.
[/quote]

They have an SVT and 8x10 as well don't they? that kinda makes up for any downsides....

Yeah Storm's equipment is all very good. All the rooms have Ampeg 8×10 but not all rooms have SVT's.....nevertheless a good studio imho.

They have decent PA's and always have a tidy up before you get there oh and the toilets are decent and clean.

3 hours from 6.15pm to 9.15pm costs us £45

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1426850561' post='2722644']
We've had some places so dire you wouldn't believe.
We let our drummer sort us out a room once. It was on this lock up on a traveller encampment. There was someone (and a rabbit) living in there the whole time. Patched electricity from a pole, etc.
Anyway it transpired that someone had been kidnapped and tortured in the very lock up next door - while we were actually there! :o

We never went back after that.
But my Dad got to say "Poor f**ker really was being tortured if he had to listen to you lot"
[/quote]

i am pretty sure i've practiced there too :P

we have a real mix round here, some are dire, some are good
some are good rooms with naff gear, some are naffer rooms with reliable gear... i prefer the latter personally, i hate a nice clean room, i prefer something dingy and vibey

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1426864190' post='2722899']

Cheers for this Tim...I've been trying to find somewhere to rehearse in St Albans with little success. The only thing I can find is The Pioneer which charges £20ph...sent the details to drummer and guitarist.
[/quote]

Mill Hill Music Complex might be good as well if any of your guys travel out from London on an evening. Although I haven't been there for over ten years. I used their bass cabs and if I found a problem when we went in I just asked them for a swap. They used to lend amps out so had a few lying round. They're still going. That means something.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1426875284' post='2723043']
Mill Hill Music Complex might be good as well if any of your guys travel out from London on an evening. Although I haven't been there for over ten years. I used their bass cabs and if I found a problem when we went in I just asked them for a swap. They used to lend amps out so had a few lying round. They're still going. That means something.
[/quote]

I used them for years, they have build some new (small) rooms, an office, a shop and a dance studio recently but I prefer the old tatty rooms, room 7 to be precise :)

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1426863269' post='2722884']
...the owner seems to have stopped leaving swingers mags around and inviting us to his special 'adult' parties...
[/quote]

How terrible! You'd better PM me the address of this place so I can avoid it in future. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426844098' post='2722496']
If you're ever unfortuante enough to have a rehearsal at Enterprise round the back of Denmark Street make sure you have your jabs beforehand...
[/quote]

Forget the jabs, take a hard hat and a hi-vis vest. They're in the middle of demolishing the lot just now.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1426878196' post='2723105']
Forget the jabs, take a hard hat and a hi-vis vest. They're in the middle of demolishing the lot just now.
[/quote]

What, already? Does that mean we're one of the last bands to play in Denmark Street? :blink:

Blimey, lots of familiar studios in London mentioned so far! I used to endure La Rocka in North London at one point, which was the filthiest, most poorly equipped rehearsal studio I've ever seen. The worst if it was that it was hardly cheaper than my favourite studio, Terminal in Londonbridge (which I think others have mentioned above but not by name). Have also used Mill Hill Music Complex, which is great except in Winter when the lack of heating becomes very apparent. In Acton, Panic has great rooms but the bass amps are terrible Ashdowns, while around the corner Survival has better equipment but is a bit damp in Winter. There is also a great three room rehearsal place in Kilburn called Resident Studios.

When you are relying on someone else providing rehearsal space which they are making money out of, the results very often are disappointing . You quite often find gear that has been abused and not looked after, quite often in an advanced state of disrepair. If you want good rehearsal space, get your own if possible . I know this isn't always possible and I know all rented places are not bad, but generally, if you want quality, you have to do it yourself.