Why become a member? ×

(Probably) A stupid question about anchor points

Jonnyboy Rotten

With a certain other thread about deko guitars going for cheap I am wondering whether to aquire an acoustic bass.

I had the pleasure of playing my first acoustic bass last weekend and I realised that when I play my SR300 or P Bass, I use the top of the pickups to anchor my thumb on and hang my fingers over the strings, but this bass obviously had no pickups so my hand just floated and as a result I found it more difficult to play.

Given that acoustic basses don't have pickups what do people do? Is it something that people just get used to or Is it wise to fit a thumb rest on to the front of the acoustic bass guitar or might this cause issues?

I've seen quite a few people fit thumb rests but I've just got used to playing mine without one. I generally just have the fleshy part of my thumb pressed against body of the bass where the pickup would be & find that it gives enough grip. This probably just highlights my poor technique but I get by.

I imagine it's a good excuse for learning to play with a floating thumb (as used by many quality bassists) where you rest your thumb on the string above & I have tried but having the thumb anchored at either pickup is just too ingrained for me & I can't get away from it.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1426846588' post='2722548']
I imagine it's a good excuse for learning to play with a floating thumb (as used by many quality bassists) where you rest your thumb on the string above
[/quote]

I got accustomed to this technique quite a while ago and didn't give it too much thought, not difficult when you get into it and mutes the strings you are not playing (I am by no means a quality bassist though).

As for other anchor points on acoustic basses, I occasionally use the very end of the finger board where it meets the body as a reference but usually just rest the side of my thumb on the soundboard. I also have the bass on a strap and can rest my arm on the lower bout.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1427067523' post='2725509']
I fit a thumbrest on my tacoma and it really closed the gap between that and the comfort of an electric.
[/quote]

That sounds promising...can you post a pic?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1427155609' post='2726648']
You could always get a 5 stringer and rest your thumb on the unused B....
[/quote]

Yeah - that was what I did with my OLP MM3 5 String! :P

I tend to not rest my thumb at all. I use a technique close to classical guitar, curled fingers and a floating thumb, which actually enables the thumb to play notes as well. I thereby use four fingers, it's just the pinky that isn't used to pick. It also enables me to mute strings more easily.

This technique works great on my warwick alien 6-string acoustic bass as well as all my electrics, 4 to 6 strings. A bass ramp helps, but isn't required, and I wouldn't spoil a beautiful acoustic with a ramp.

Played my acoustic at a gig last night - I normal just use it for messing about sat down at home but it works pretty well live (stood up) as the fatter body acts as an arm rest so it was pretty easy playing without an anchor point.