Why become a member? ×

Where Are You Gigging This Weekend ?

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426954129' post='2723974']

Looks cool.

Age and level of experience is not needed for this topic unless your not old enough to get in. We'll let you know when we need your age. :D

Actually that is something that is not clear to me regarding drinking ages in the UK. Over here you have to have ID proving your 21 to patron bars and drink alcohol.

Blue
[/quote]
18 over here in Blighty...!

We're playing at a charity event at a local biker pub where we have previously played several paid gigs. I am a regular there so we were happy to be asked, and it's a cause we all have a personal interest in (Macmillan cancer support) and there are some benefits as there is a very good team on the PA and everything is being recorded and videoed with copies to be made available to us afterwards.

Anyway, must get on as we are in in 2 1/2 hours and I am still sat here and not made my dinner yet!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426906624' post='2723405']

Cool, yeah sounds like a similar type gig Pete.

And I have heard that what the people hear in the back of the club is not as good as what the folks up front hear. Thing is, the attendance for our gig can be severely handy-capped, depending on whose playing at The Bridge Inn and The 5 Corners Road House.

Here's something else, The nationally touring Samantha Fish is playing in the same town, about 10 minutes away from our gig tomorrow night. They have a similar show except they are not a bar band they are headliners. I have met Samantha, I think she's like 25 and travels w/ her parents ( I think ). It would be cool if she could stop by our gig. I don't think bands do that anymore.

[url="http://www.samanthafish.com/"]http://www.samanthafish.com/[/url]

Blue
[/quote]
A similar type band playing in town can be a big factor in determining what size crowd will turn up – something that more landlords / promoters need to be aware of!

The gig I’ve got next weekend is somewhat different proposition to last night, a blues festival in Montrose (Scotland) involving a 300 mile drive then three shows in three different venues – all in the same day! The gig the following weekend is the rock band again, playing quite a big outdoor (marquee) biker event.

Shows the different types of gigs you pick up on the semi-pro circuit…!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1426956409' post='2724028']
We're playing at a charity event at a local biker pub where we have previously played several paid gigs. I am a regular there so we were happy to be asked, and it's a cause we all have a personal interest in (Macmillan cancer support) and there are some benefits as there is a very good team on the PA and everything is being recorded and videoed with copies to be made available to us afterwards.

Anyway, must get on as we are in in 2 1/2 hours and I am still sat here and not made my dinner yet!
[/quote]

Cool, sounds like good people and a good cause. Enjoy the evening and have some fun.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1426956609' post='2724032']
A similar type band playing in town can be a big factor in determining what size crowd will turn up – something that more landlords / promoters need to be aware of!

The gig I’ve got next weekend is somewhat different proposition to last night, a blues festival in Montrose (Scotland) involving a 300 mile drive then three shows in three different venues – all in the same day! The gig the following weekend is the rock band again, playing quite a big outdoor (marquee) biker event.

Shows the different types of gigs you pick up on the semi-pro circuit…!
[/quote]

Nice Pete!

I wish I was as busy as you. I just don't no where to start in terms of networking that would ad value and work to what I already have.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426957425' post='2724052']
Cool, sounds like good people and a good cause. Enjoy the evening and have some fun.

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks, Blue, we're looking forward to it, especially as it will be the last gig for a while as one of the band is going into hospital next week and may be out of action for a few weeks.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426957679' post='2724060']

Nice Pete!

I wish I was as busy as you. I just don't no where to start in terms of networking that would ad value and work to what I already have.

Blue
[/quote]
The thing is that you play more gigs than me and certainly make more money from gigging! We are getting paid reasonably well for the Scottish jaunt, but after the petrol and a hotel room I will make less than I did last night from playing a small pub gig!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1426958138' post='2724068']
The thing is that you play more gigs than me and certainly make more money from gigging! We are getting paid reasonably well for the Scottish jaunt, but after the petrol and a hotel room I will make less than I did last night from playing a small pub gig!
[/quote]

Yeah, hotel money can knock the life out of our small profit margin. I have one gig ($1,500.00) this summer that involves travel,however it's close to our sound persons parents home and I think I can stay there.

Blue

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1426947987' post='2723837']
Jake is the Manager there and seems quite amenable, I have a booking in June with them. I also play there weekly at a Jam Session. The guy who plays with a sound system: he came to do a few numbers at our Jam a while back, set up his own system and used it, then tore it down whilst we were all still playing......! He's a local guy...! ;)

For future reference: Jake's number is 01935 429707
[/quote]

Thanks although I doubt we are ever going to back there (and frankly i am reasonably happy with that). We played there before - well, they did before i joined, I was in the audience and it was very busy and a good night so it was a surprise being kicked out, especially as it seems from people who went down there to see us (as all our advertising was that we were there) that it was pretty dead down there, but we wouldn't have even known about the double booking without lemonrock telling us about it.

I guess its cheaper to have the karaoke singer and the open mic nights than getting a band, and the pub has to decide what their market is, I presume they are cutting back on bands.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426954129' post='2723974']
Actually that is something that is not clear to me regarding drinking ages in the UK. Over here you have to have ID proving your 21 to patron bars and drink alcohol.
[/quote]

It's 18 here. You don't need ID but if you don't look old enough to drink, you may be asked to produce it. For some reason, I'm never asked to produce it.

This weekend, Friday The New Inn Farsley (Leeds) - first time there but is a lively pub, gets full of fairly young drinkers, opens late and can be a bit rough apparently but should be OK. We will play 9-11.20 with no break. Sat night, The Bankhouse in Pudsey. Nice pub, played there loads but it as neighbour noise complaint issues so will be finished by 11 (starting at 8.30) They are both gonna be busy - both us and the venues have advertised. Pete - how did The Old Crown go? one of my pals knew one of your band so went down, said it was a good night. Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1427213052' post='2727297']
This weekend, Friday The New Inn Farsley (Leeds) - first time there but is a lively pub, gets full of fairly young drinkers, opens late and can be a bit rough apparently but should be OK. We will play 9-11.20 with no break. Sat night, The Bankhouse in Pudsey. Nice pub, played there loads but it as neighbour noise complaint issues so will be finished by 11 (starting at 8.30) They are both gonna be busy - both us and the venues have advertised. Pete - how did The Old Crown go? one of my pals knew one of your band so went down, said it was a good night. Andy
[/quote]
It was a good night Andy. It's a decent place with a good atmosphere and they've got Debi helping to book bands and she has made an effort to only book suitable, pretty decent bands so far. It looks like it is going to be a good curcuit gig and should do well, especially as a couple of other venues have changed hands recently so who knows which way they are going to go!

Let me know when you're playing there and I will try and get down if I'm not gigging.

Edited by peteb

Saturday at St. Bart's School in Newbury at their ball. We've been asked to provide 'old time' dance music, so at the last rehearsal our singer worked out the BPM of some of our 'old' songs, looked in her 'Ballroom Dancing For Beginners', and has some of our set-list labelled 'quickstep', 'foxtrot', 'two-step' etc so they can be introduced as such. We're playing for 2½ hours in total.... so it's going to be a long night.

This weekend were at Mamie's , March 27th, 2015 Friday night from 9:30-1:30am;

[i]Ask blues musicians, fans and experts around town and you'll quickly find that Mamie's, 3300 National Ave., is generally thought to be the sole remaining "authentic" blues bar in town. [/i]

[i]Folks credit the Milwaukee Ale House, the Up and Under Pub, Painted Parrot or Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall with providing the occasional stage, but in the end Mamie's is the only stop completely dedicated to the blues. [/i]

[i]"Mamie's is probably the last real blues bar in the city. Owner Deb is a true believer and all they play there is blues. If you don't play blues, you can't play there," says musician Reverend Raven, who fronts Reverend Raven and the Chain Smoking Altar Boys. [/i]
[i]Mamie's is what you expect a blues club to be. Located on 33rd Street and National Avenue, the bar represents its South Side neighborhood with good deals, no frills and great music. The patrons are regulars and the bartenders know everyone by name. [/i]

My View;[list]
[*]Late night
[*]Parking and load in can be tough
[*]Small stage
[*]Great Crowd, their into it and easy to engage
[*]Cool bar staff
[*]Owner is top notch, she knows the business
[*]Owner always re-books us , 3 dates at a time
[/list]
I like this place.

Blue

Edited by blue

Three gigs this coming weekend - Friday and Sunday are bar gigs with an acoustic bluegrass 4 piece (bass, vocals/guitar, lapsteel, banjo).

Saturday is a larger concert in a local community hall - ticketed affair with an Irish folk rock 6pc band. Big stage and good fun!

For both gigs I'll be using my Bravewood stack knob Jazz bass, Ashdown ABM 500w head (DI'd to PA) and BF Big Baby 2 cab for onstage monitoring.

Ah Blue. Forgot you were a Les Paul man. Got s few myself. The black and the Cherry burst like your gold top plus a cream LP and a 76 Triumph in white. I love em. I like the universal band concern around easy or hard loads. I hate stairs! Ha ha

Edited by Bassmonkey

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1427227904' post='2727659']
Three gigs this coming weekend - Friday and Sunday are bar gigs with an acoustic bluegrass 4 piece (bass, vocals/guitar, lapsteel, banjo).

Saturday is a larger concert in a local community hall - ticketed affair with an Irish folk rock 6pc band. Big stage and good fun!

For both gigs I'll be using my Bravewood stack knob Jazz bass, Ashdown ABM 500w head (DI'd to PA) and BF Big Baby 2 cab for onstage monitoring.
[/quote]

Nice! Sounds like a fun weekend to me.

Blue

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1427228066' post='2727669']
Ah Blue. Forgot you were a Les Paul man. Got s few myself. The black and the Cherry burst like your gold top plus a cream LP and a 76 Triumph in white. I love em. I like the universal band concern around easy or hard loads. I hate stairs! Ha ha
[/quote]

Yeah, the Gold Top gets a lot of compliments. I have been gigging a lot with the Gold Top and my Gibson ES-335 lately. I'm surprised that many guys are not aware that Gibson makes a Gold Top bass.

I would love to see that Cream LP.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1427228994' post='2727690']
I'm playing the Bridge Tavern on Saturday same as peteb's post. I'm depping for Delirium (who I retired from last year), I played there a few weeks ago depping for Breakout. It's a bit of a home gig for Delirium, usually busy with friends of friends and a few from other bands.
[/quote]

Very cool, I love it when folks from other bands show up and show support.

Blue

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1427217953' post='2727434']
Saturday at St. Bart's School in Newbury at their ball. We've been asked to provide 'old time' dance music, so at the last rehearsal our singer worked out the BPM of some of our 'old' songs, looked in her 'Ballroom Dancing For Beginners', and has some of our set-list labelled 'quickstep', 'foxtrot', 'two-step' etc so they can be introduced as such. We're playing for 2½ hours in total.... so it's going to be a long night.
[/quote]

Do some bar gigs on this side of the pond and that 2.5 hours will seem like a breeze. :)

As you know, bar gigs in the USA are traditionally 4 hours with 2 10-15 minute breaks.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1427216174' post='2727395']
It was a good night Andy. It's a decent place with a good atmosphere and they've got Debi helping to book bands and she has made an effort to only book suitable, pretty decent bands so far. It looks like it is going to be a good curcuit gig and should do well, especially as a couple of other venues have changed hands recently so who knows which way they are going to go!

Let me know when you're playing there and I will try and get down if I'm not gigging.
[/quote]

Supporting other bands is always a win in my book. Wish there was more of it Pete.

Blue