Why become a member? ×

Where Are You Gigging This Weekend ?

blue

Were at Laura's Donges Bay Club House tomorrow night from 8:00-12:00;[list]
[*]Small Bar
[*]LL is a true supporter of live rock music
[*]Low ceilings, good sounding room
[*]Good Pay
[*]Cool crowd, they come there to here 70s blues rock. So yes, lot's of grey hair.
[*]Nice Staff and LL
[*]Load in is ok, especially if I get there early
[/list]
It's one of the venues in rotation that I look forward to playing.

Blue

Edited by blue

We'll be at one of the critter clubs (Moose Lodge). They're very appreciative of their bands (free food and they pay well), and the place is usually packed when we play -- those people just love to dance! We're usually rolling on home, after tearing down, by one. :-)

Just got back from playing the Bridge Tavern in Bradford. Very much a 'typical' small pub gig, it is pretty similar to the gig Blue describes, except it has a slightly strange layout that means that the sound is can be a bit hit and miss (depending on where you are standing).

Been playing there for years but if I'm being honest it's not really my favourite gig - decent crowd but you don't get as many punters going as a few years ago (especially on a Friday) and it's a little bit too much like playing in someone's (admittedly rather big ) front room. However it fills out the diary and the landlord/lady are good people and have always supported various bands I have been in (and vice versa of course). Saturday nights tend to bring out a few old faces and my last band used to turn it into a bit of a jam / drinking session. Not so much in the new band unfortunately, due to most of us having to drive!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426902431' post='2723389']
That looks pretty cool.

How long do you actually play for ?
[/quote]

It's a 4 hour bar gig with 2 ten minute breaks. I understand pub gigs are not 4 hour gigs for you UK guys.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1426904368' post='2723397']
Just got back from playing the Bridge Tavern in Bradford. Very much a 'typical' small pub gig, it is pretty similar to the gig Blue describes, except it has a slightly strange layout that means that the sound is can be a bit hit and miss (depending on where you are standing).

Been playing there for years but if I'm being honest it's not really my favourite gig - decent crowd but you don't get as many punters going as a few years ago (especially on a Friday) and it's a little bit too much like playing in someone's (admittedly rather big ) front room. However it fills out the diary and the landlord/lady are good people and have always supported various bands I have been in (and vice versa of course). Saturday nights tend to bring out a few old faces and my last band used to turn it into a bit of a jam / drinking session. Not so much in the new band unfortunately, due to most of us having to drive!
[/quote]

Cool, yeah sounds like a similar type gig Pete.

And I have heard that what the people hear in the back of the club is not as good as what the folks up front hear. Thing is, the attendance for our gig can be severely handy-capped, depending on whose playing at The Bridge Inn and The 5 Corners Road House.

Here's something else, The nationally touring Samantha Fish is playing in the same town, about 10 minutes away from our gig tomorrow night. They have a similar show except they are not a bar band they are headliners. I have met Samantha, I think she's like 25 and travels w/ her parents ( I think ). It would be cool if she could stop by our gig. I don't think bands do that anymore.

[url="http://www.samanthafish.com/"]http://www.samanthafish.com/[/url]

Blue

Edited by blue

I would have been gigging in a place called the great lyde in yeovil. we have played there before, it is far from my favourite pub. But back a few weeks ago we got a notification from lemonrock saying there was a booking clash with some other group. Our band leader has spent time trying to get in touch with them, but the guy he knew who booked bands had now left, and the others weren't responding.

Finally, after asking publicly on their facebook comments, they got in touch with us to say, yes, they were double booked and they would go with the other guy, even though we were booked a few months earlier. The other guy was one guy who sings to a backing tape - sort of like a premade karaoke, and costs £100, which is under half of ours.

I would call that a bit sh*tty.

On the plus side, I had quite a relaxing evening with my wife

Not this weekend, but The Sour Grapes are playing at The Red Cow in Slough (Pronounced as in plow for those that dont know it) next weekend the 28th.
9 till 11.30.
8 till 12? sod that!! :o

Edited by Hobbayne

Pub gig, about two miles from my house, which is nice. First time we've played there (Mrs Zero and I have done a session at an open mic there), and we're the first band in after a refurbishment.

Have I got to say how many years experience I've got and how old I am now?

We're playing about halfway up. Fortunately there's a ramp up from the carp ark.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1426904368' post='2723397']

[/quote]

I used to play there. Is Fred still the landlord or did his daughter take it over?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1426933031' post='2723545']
I would have been gigging in a place called the great lyde in yeovil. we have played there before, it is far from my favourite pub. But back a few weeks ago we got a notification from lemonrock saying there was a booking clash with some other group. Our band leader has spent time trying to get in touch with them, but the guy he knew who booked bands had now left, and the others weren't responding.

Finally, after asking publicly on their facebook comments, they got in touch with us to say, yes, they were double booked and they would go with the other guy, even though we were booked a few months earlier. The other guy was one guy who sings to a backing tape - sort of like a premade karaoke, and costs £100, which is under half of ours.

[/quote]

Jake is the Manager there and seems quite amenable, I have a booking in June with them. I also play there weekly at a Jam Session. The guy who plays with a sound system: he came to do a few numbers at our Jam a while back, set up his own system and used it, then tore it down whilst we were all still playing......! He's a local guy...! ;)

For future reference: Jake's number is 01935 429707

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1426947570' post='2723826']
I used to play there. Is Fred still the landlord or did his daughter take it over?
[/quote]
Fred is still there and if you are referring to Sam - she's his wife, not his daughter...! :mellow:

The [url="https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.928383,-2.844815,3a,75y,312.07h,77.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfO2ZfcmzQ3VfX0WzuEQjRA!2e0"]village hall[/url] in Seavington St Mary, near Ilminster. Nice easy load through the front door, quite high stage with lights. Guitar and vocals with my country and western trio.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1426933031' post='2723545']

[/quote]

I agree, sh*tty.

Not unusual for bar owners over here in the USA to pull a stunt like that either. As they say; [i]"It goes with the territory"[/i]

blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1426935923' post='2723610']
.8 till 12? sod that!! :o[/quote]

All bar gigs over hear are 4 hour nights, it's just the way it is.

Could you guys adapt to the 4 hour gig if you were working over here?

Blue

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1426940170' post='2723693']
Pub gig, about two miles from my house, which is nice. First time we've played there (Mrs Zero and I have done a session at an open mic there), and we're the first band in after a refurbishment.

Have I got to say how many years experience I've got and how old I am now?

We're playing about halfway up. Fortunately there's a ramp up from the carp ark.
[/quote]

Looks cool.

Age and level of experience is not needed for this topic unless your not old enough to get in. We'll let you know when we need your age. :D

Actually that is something that is not clear to me regarding drinking ages in the UK. Over here you have to have ID proving your 21 to patron bars and drink alcohol.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426954393' post='2723978']
Some social clubs want 2x 90mins, and that is tough enough. You just have to pace yourself!
[/quote]

I guess age does play a factor in this thread. I have to be honest, at 62 that 3rd set for a 4 hour show is starting to get a bit challenging for me.

blue