Why become a member? ×

Underrated bassists

Funky Dunky

My vote is for Chris Childs (Go West, Summers/Fripp, Waterfront etc) - he just produces an amazing natural tone (on fretted & fretless) & great instinctive playing.

(+ he's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet)

These always come to mind when I see question
Stuart Morrow on the first two New Model Army albums. Imagine a far more talented Peter Hook
Deon Estus - made Wham's music half tolerable
Michael Dempsey- ex Cure but it's his stuff with The Associates that's the biz esp on Sulk
Julian Crampton - this bloke is seriously good. Check him out with jazzy soul funkers Incognito, Down To The Bone and Joey Negro's Sunburst Band. Also worked with M People, The Pasadenas, Paul Young
Leigh Gorman - with Bow Wow Wow
Armand Sabal Lecco and Bill Dickins - I can't abide jazz-fusion but make the effort to deal with it to hear these monster players

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1468489732' post='3091240']
Julian Crampton - this bloke is seriously good. Check him out with The Pasadenas.
[/quote]

Do you know if he's the guy on 'Tribute (Right On)'? Always loved that bassline. Wicked tone too.

There's been a few of these threads so I'll just pick one from my usual list and say John Curley from the Afghan Whigs. Greg Dulli's rhythm guitar playing was hugely basic most of the time and Rick McCollum (an under-rated guitar player if we ever do a list of those) was usually off doing his own thing but Curley managed to wring a lot of melodic lines that sat nicely between the 2 and kept the beat while not being overtly flashy. The 3 players often seem to be doing completely different things but everything really melded together. Underrated band generally imo.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1428328268' post='2740231']
Henry Cluney was Stiff litte Fingers rhythm guitarist, Ali Mc Mordie was(still is) the mighty bass man
[/quote]

Yep, looking forward to seeing SLF at Rebellion this year, only 3 weeks to go.

Pat Badger of Extreme, monster tone, the way he doubles Nuno's parts, and a llama farmer too. 😊
I'd also like to add Gary Beers of INXS - simple lines, some melodic loveliness on occasion and as solid as a rock.

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='Santa' timestamp='1468526369' post='3091613']
Adam Clayton. Perfect for his music
[/quote]

There it is! I came on to comment how no-one had mentioned Adam Clayton yet. He is Marmite in these conversations.

For me, Jeff Ament's playing in some of the Pearl Jam covers I played was a bit of a surprise. He definitely took a smidge of influence from Rocco and that fast staccato-style playing. See 'Porch' for an example.

I always liked Will Carruthers simple yet melodic lines, but he doesn't get much of a mention round here even though he covers a lot of ground.

Krist Novoselic was definitely underrated. I think he became the forgotten one between Cobain's genius songwriting and Grohl's thunderous drumming. In reality, Grohl is an overrated, albeit very good drummer (Well I'd rather listen to him drum than play guitar and sing any day of the week), for all his talent Cobain was a pretty basic guitarist, yet it was Novoselic who provided the melodic fundamental of an awful lot of Nirvana's work. Lounge Act being a personal favourite.

And I always zone-in on Roger Glover's playing on old Deep Purple LP's, although he does pail in comparison to JPJ.

Some more I'd briefly forgotten

Paul Webb from Talk Talk -well tasty basslines across all the albums - check out Today from the debut album
Horace Panter from The Specials- check out the first album esp Nite Club
David Steele -The Beat and Fine Young Cannibals - check out Mirror In The Bathroom
Mick Anker from the Blow Monkeys - anything from the debut album
David Allen from Gang of Four and Shriekback - a great tone like no other I've heard My Spine Is The Bassline by Shriekback
Paul Denman - Sade. Nice fretless work
Derek Forbes - Simple Minds when they were good. New Gold Dream I chocka with cracking lines
Big Tony Fisher - leader of the great Go-Go band Trouble Funk
Neil Jason - top class sessioner and multi-instrumentalist. For me his best stuff was with jazz funkers The Brecker Brothers

If Paul Simonon from The Clash is underrated these days, then him. My favourite player by a mile.

I think Dick Lovgren from Meshuggah is superb too. Very understated but crucial role in backing up the dual 8 string guitar attack. Also a fantastic jazz player in his own right outside of the band.

& Dan Maines from Clutch.

Who plays bass in the 4 Non Blondes? The lines on their debut are absolutely brilliant.

Mark Bedford - Madness, excellent Fender P work and in particular the playing on the Absolutely album. Very melodic player.

Colin Moulding - XTC, more excellent melodic lines and a great songwriter to boot!

Derek Forbes - Simple Minds/Propaganda - Brilliant work with Simple Minds from the bands first 6 albums, both fretted and fretless - lovely rolling lines with some slapping thrown in.

Someone I've never seen mentioned on this forum is Phil Spalding, bass player with Toyah in the early 80s then session player with just about everyone else in the late 80s and 90s from Mike Oldfield to Robbie Williams, from Mel C to the GTR supergroup and from Seal to Disney's Lion King soundtrack.

http://www.philspalding.com/

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1468773750' post='3093224']

Derek Forbes - Simple Minds/Propaganda - Brilliant work with Simple Minds from the bands first 6 albums, both fretted and fretless - lovely rolling lines with some slapping thrown in.
[/quote]

Great shout. Always has a great tone, too.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1468523381' post='3091584']
There's been a few of these threads so I'll just pick one from my usual list and say John Curley from the Afghan Whigs. Greg Dulli's rhythm guitar playing was hugely basic most of the time and Rick McCollum (an under-rated guitar player if we ever do a list of those) was usually off doing his own thing but Curley managed to wring a lot of melodic lines that sat nicely between the 2 and kept the beat while not being overtly flashy. The 3 players often seem to be doing completely different things but everything really melded together. Underrated band generally imo.
[/quote]

Definite +1 from a fellow Whigs fan! I'd also add Derek Forbes from Simple Minds - just check out the playing on New Gold Dream, especially the title track!He's highly respected among bassists and musos, but rarely gets a mention in lists such as this.EDIT - except he just has, about 3 posts above mine! :)

Edited by sharkboy

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1468772210' post='3093213']
Our very own Kev Hopper, especially from his Stump days. I was a big fan. Does the fish have chips? Yes, yes it does.
[/quote]

I love his playing, so refreshing and so different to everyone else.

Mani, from the stone roses.

The most melodic bass player I've ever heard. You can sing all his bass lines.

So many memorable ones, yet he doesn't get many plaudits. He shows great melody, great innovation and thinking and is part of a superb rhythm section.

I am the resurrection
Made of stone
Ten storey love song
I wanna be adored
She bangs the drum
Fools gold

To name just a few.