Why become a member? ×

Do you/your band rehearse with full gigging set-up?

Lozz196

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427123144' post='2726019']
On the other hand I'm not entirely convinced by the value to practicing in a room with a mirror wall. While it's fine for working out if your stage moves really are as cool as you thought, I've found that being able to see your hands in the mirror gives you a false sense of confidence when it comes to being able to play while looking at the audience.
[/quote]

So how do you practice that 'spinning the bass round your neck' thing then? :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427206409' post='2727130']
TBH I don't remember the room I used with the mirror wall sounding much different to any other reasonable practice room.
[/quote]

I've no actual experience of one- I just assumed that a glass wall would reflect the sound very effectively and make for a harsh sound. Perhaps it doesn't matter if the rest of the room has plenty of absorbent stuff.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1427287658' post='2728266']
I've no actual experience of one- I just assumed that a glass wall would reflect the sound very effectively and make for a harsh sound. Perhaps it doesn't matter if the rest of the room has plenty of absorbent stuff.
[/quote]

Remember that one of the most critical listening environments is the recording studio control room which is frequently dominated by a huge window looking out onto the live room.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1427292390' post='2728382']
You're kidding, right??
[/quote]

No I'm not actually. Admittedly 90% was a figure I pulled out of the air, but I'd maintain that the differences we get fussy about are pretty minor compared to the basic fact that it's a bass amp.
You might miss certain features of amplifiers and cabs, and the sound will vary of course, but it will still sound like a bass guitar. I'd have thought that differences between the rehearsal space and the performance space would be at least as significant.

Expensive high end rehearsal rooms do have good gear to rent for a practise. But over the years I've learned that if you want any kind of half decent sound in any cheaper rehearsal space, you have to bring your own bass rig. Even though a rented amp may let you sound like a bass, it doesn't let you sound like [i]your[/i] bass, in my experience. Especially if you use effects, the amp just won't react the same as you're used to with your own.
I always use my own rig where ever I rehearse.

We try to a quiet band! Anything louder than acoustic drums is too much. Therefore we just rehearse with our monitoring. Which again we try to keep to a minimum.

We have the good fortune of having a dedicated building (the guitarist has his own studio) bringing the extra perk of rehearsing with the drummer in a different room.

Seems like a lot here do use their own gear, but I never have - always used the practice studio's bass amp. Over the years I've been in bands where a guitarist might bring their own amp, but as a rule it's the studio's stuff...easier and quicker and nobody needs to drive anywhere...good for those who like a beer with their practice !

I've alwasys played in originals bands as well, and the 'scenes' I've played in the opportunity to use your own gear at gigs isn't always there, so it's best to get used to playing through gear that's not your own.

As a result most of 'my sound' comes from my pedalboard rather than the amp, so I'm ready for owt ! :)

Edited by ahpook

We always rehearse with the full set up - but hired PA comes with the room and as the vocalists meet up on a separate night to work out harmonies and share a glass of wine, the time is spent playing as a band.

As regards bass gear the place we use has many reasonable options - I tend to take my own rig just so I stay in touch with its nuances. I don't get too worried about 'my sound' and have expeimented with different cab combinations, leading to me swapping a 1x15 for 2x12

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1427300397' post='2728576']
No I'm not actually. Admittedly 90% was a figure I pulled out of the air, but I'd maintain that the differences we get fussy about are pretty minor compared to the basic fact that it's a bass amp.
You might miss certain features of amplifiers and cabs, and the sound will vary of course, but it will still sound like a bass guitar. I'd have thought that differences between the rehearsal space and the performance space would be at least as significant.
[/quote]

I feel the same way, I watched a band the other night at a small club, when the bass was heard in isolation through the PA the sound was a not very pleasant woolly thud - when played ensemble it pulled the band together beautifully.

we use the supplied PA and drums, the drummer brings his snares and cymbals, my rig is super light so I bring it along anyway (usually only one cab though) the guitarist is using a 1x12 combo so brings that along too (we had a dire 3 months while it was being repaired/upgraded, the first session after it returned was a joy!)

we're lucky as the place we use has petty good PA and the drum kits are actually reasonable and have the skins replaced fairly regularly (more often than our drummer replaces the skins on his kit anyway!)

Matt

Lucky enough to rehearse in a large hall with stage, our gear is all stored there in a small room so we just set up on stage with pretty much everything except the PA cabs, meaning we can practice at gigging volume and we know our PA setup. We dont have practice gear to use so just use our gigging rigs. We rehearse every week as we dont get much time if any to practice at home so rehearsal time is precious. The only time we dont is if work/real life gets in the way or after doing a gig.

We rent our own room (well 2 actually) - both offices in a basement area of a large new retail building in the town centre. Parking, great flat access off the carpark, alarmed etc. We can use it whenever we like and we store all of our stuff there. We have our own keys to the building, then through 2 locked doors into our space.

We leave a rehearsal set up in one of the rooms - drummer has a decent kit set up permanently, little mixer head PA and mics ad stands set up. I have a Hartke combo, guitarists have amps set up (usually just bring them in from the storage room we have for the big PA, lights etc etc directly next door.

To be honest, we're dead lucky to have it and doubt we'll find anywhere as good!!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427385204' post='2729746']
For big loud gigs I prefer to rehearse with the exact set up I will be performing with.[/quote]

We play loud rock, however when I rehearse I use a small combo amp with no pedals. My position is, even if I used my gigging rig and pedals at rehearsal it's absolutely no guarantee I will have the same sound at a gig.

As it's been said many times, there are to many other variables that will impact your sound at a gig other than your gear.

Blue

Full kit at "practice"? Well, drummer brings his snare and cymbals if it isn't at his gaff. Me and the guitar player/ keyboard computer operator bring everything. It's all about how it sounds to us, gigs are another kettle of fish.....no gigs lined up and still writing songs really.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1426981075' post='2724474']

Interesting - I was considering something like that a year or so ago for a group I was in at the time. I don't need it now for that group, but for other practice in the house it sounds like it could be a plan.

Which one have you got?
[/quote]

we use the jamhub bedroom model, all i could afford, next time id go for one with the recorder built in

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1427618254' post='2732261']
we use the jamhub bedroom model, all i could afford, next time id go for one with the recorder built in
[/quote]

Yeh, wouldn't mind that but a bit expensive. The bedroom one seems pretty cheap though, I missed a greenroom one on eBay and they don't seem common

In response to the OP I generally roll up to the rehearsal room with my plank, pedaltrain and two leads. The kit in the hired room is generally as good if not better than my own kit (lovely Trace Elliot yesterday :D , normally use an Ashdown there) . I don't see much point in messing with my own set up to fine tune settings thet will probably sound completely different in another room anyway. The guitarist takes several guitars, a mahoosive pedalboard, several suitcases full of essentials and an unfeasibly loud amp. I think he does it for the attention.

[quote name='Ticktock' timestamp='1427578212' post='2732013']
Full kit at "practice"? Well, drummer brings his snare and cymbals if it isn't at his gaff. Me and the guitar player/ keyboard computer operator bring everything. It's all about how it sounds to us, gigs are another kettle of fish.....no gigs lined up and still writing songs really.
[/quote]

Gigs are another kettle of fish for many new young bands.

I'm from the "old school". When someone tells me their in a band the first thing I say is;

" Cool where are you guys gigging?"

I had this very conversation with a young musician a few months ago. I swear, when I asked about gigs it was like I was speaking a foreign language.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1427973389' post='2736473']I don't see much point in messing with my own set up to fine tune settings thet will probably sound completely different in another room anyway.[/quote]

Agreed, and that's the point I've been trying to make. Same thing goes for the PA unless the gig is in the rehearsal space.

Blue