Why become a member? ×

Do you/your band rehearse with full gigging set-up?

Lozz196

As above really, interested on peoples view-points. In my band we do use our gigging gear (well ok, I only use one of my 212 cabs, but am yet to play a gig where I`ve needed them both anyway) for rehearsal, as our viewpoint is we are always rehearsing for gigs, and if we`re writing new material we want to start off hearing it as we want it presented when it`s finished/ready to be unveiled.

Agreed, at many of our gigs we have provided rigs, but using our gigging gear at rehearsals means we know our sounds so well it is usually easy enough to get those sounds from the provided gear, whereas if we were constantly using different sounds, well it would be a bit if hit and miss.

Plus, honestly, we`ve only got our gigging gear, so bringing anything else isn`t an option.

Guitarist takes his pedalboard and amp (small Marshall combo), I don't bother with anything and use the provided backline, we use the provided PA and drumkit.

We have done one rehearsal in a pub to get a proper shakedown and familiarisation with the PA, just so we knew we could get everything so we were happy with it..

Drums variable, Keys use full sounds and two boards, gtr will bring his FX set-up and wont use studio
amps. I wont use the bass rig either so will bring my lightweight rig.

The idea is to get sounds, parts, vox and changes sorted and we'll put it all together in a pub gig.
We aren't going to be far off soundwise, but we will want the sound up well enough to know
whether the song will work the way we want it to. Production is important so sometimes chords/notes
in the right place is not enough.
If you are a new band or have some major new kit, you'll want to have gotten to grips with it
prior to a gig so you might want to iron out a few bugs in your room.
Most rehearsal P.A's are poor and even the better ones wont have a better P.A than what a
decent sounding bands runs.. unless you are paying big £'s or have a pro muso's home set-up
but the studio is most likely for recording which is a whole new set of gear you wouldn't bother with
for a rehearsal, mostly.

We rehearse in headphones using a jamhub. The effects boards for guitar and bass are set the same as for live, only with amp sim added, electric drums aren't great, but it's an amazing way to rehearse. Clear stereo environment, personalised mix, level control for each person etc. It means you can hear with total clarity what everyone is doing, no set up or strike time, it all lives set up in the basement, no lugging gear. A total revelation after so many years in grotty studio rooms battling ruined kit and paying for it!!
If we are doing something new, we might poddle off to a studio for a live run through at the last minute before a gig, but by that point we've a pretty good idea what to expect. That's mainly for the drummer to shake down his part on an acoustic kit.
I also host open mic nights, so there's the option to drag the guys along for a song or two to test stuff out a bit.
When I do live rehearse I take my full stereo guitar rig, to check all the switching etc, but just one bass cab, that's pleeeenty with my powerful bass rig!

The guitarists take their amps but the drummer just takes his cymbals and snare and uses the provided kit (Which isnt too bad)
Because I usually come straight from work I just usually bring my bass and effects pedal and use the provided Behringer amp.

Of the six component parts of The Inevitable Teaspoons sound, four of them are connected directly to the PA anyway (vox, keys, sax, trombone) and they are using the instruments they gig with. Drummer uses one of his own kits but it generally stays in the rehearsal room. Sometimes he uses crappy cymbals which are on their way out rather than waste the good stuff on rehearsal/jamming time. I use my wee RedSub combo, but at the gig I'll plug into whatever is provided unless I'm bringing the rig. I don't care either way as long as I can hear myself.

Before the first gig or 2 with a new band, we'll use gigging gear, or if someone's got some new goodies to use. Otherwise, rehearsal room gear will do. Shift work, time constraints etc. an often mean that time playing is more valuable than time schlepping.

My bands hardly ever rehearse but if we are using a studio we use their gear. Drummers have been know to take their own kit as studio kits are usually smashed to bits by the "shed builders" that they get in these places.

To the guys who think they have to have "their sound" at a rehearsal, I would ask; Why are you there? Is playing in a rehearsal studio a gig substitute? Are you preparing for a gig?

A full band rehearsal for me is to "top and tail" the arrangements. You should already know your parts before you arrive. I don't care what we sound like, that's not the objective. We're getting the playing in sync and for that, the studio gear is good enough.

We are lucky enough to have our own studio so we have a permanent setup there of amps, cabs, drums and PA and it's very rare that any of that stuff ever moves. We bring along new gear to try all the time and occasionally rent a space where we can set up the whole gigging setup.

We use the equipment provided which is normally an Ampeg SVT and 8X10, Guitar amps are normally Marshall or Backstair half stacks and whatever the PA is. Our drummer doesn't have an acoustic kit at the moment so we hire cymbals etc hopefully she will get a kit before we start gigging!

I have a separate smaller rig for rehearsing but once in a while take the full rig just so I can tweak it at volumes I can't use at home. It's never occurred to me to use any gear the room might have - I'd rather have more control over what I use. If they had something nice and I knew 100% it would be there and working then I can see the advantages of just turning up with guitar and fx though.

Busking gigs with top hat and tails hardly need to rehearse but you still want to know what sounds are going to be
used.
There are keys and Keys and piano sounds can be hugely variable so you'll want to pick the right one..same for gtr
patches so you could do this at house run thrus but that is just another date to set up.
Just as parts and approaches would be agreed on, so will certain sounds.

We've had deps on gigs with poor choices of sounds...and to turn up for a gig with a 61 keyboard and expecting a
really good acoustic piano out of it is an insult. So unless we know the dep well, you have to tell them what
is acceptable or not.. Of course, beggars can't be choosers is also a factor but good playing and very good sounds
determines whether you get called again or not, IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1426934160' post='2723569']
Guitarist takes his pedalboard and amp (small Marshall combo), I don't bother with anything and use the provided backline, we use the provided PA and drumkit.

We have done one rehearsal in a pub to get a proper shakedown and familiarisation with the PA, just so we knew we could get everything so we were happy with it..
[/quote]

We are a bar band. In Milwaukee only the few "originals" clubs provide a PA. The only time we see backline is in the summer when we play the larger gigs at fairs and major festivals.

blue

We rehearse in our guitarist's basement with a scaled down PA and small practice amps. Our drummer leaves his practice kit there. I use a GK 1 X 15" combo.My rehearsal bass is a re-issue 1959 Fender P MIJ. We don't employ our pedal boards at rehearsal.

To be honest, regardless of how I would tweak sound at rehearsals, the chance that sound will be the same at a gig is questionable. Too many other variables that can effect the sound of a band .

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm in 3 bands and for various reasons we are all rehearsing a lot. Two of them are now ready for gigs and starting to get some - we still rehearse to keep sharp. One band is still new and putting together the set.

All the rehearsal spaces I use have PA supplied, so we use that unless we are road testing something before a gig.

I have a BF Compact and Midget, always use both for gigging but rarely for rehearsing. I take whichever I feel like playing through at the time - if my back is playing up I'll just take the Midget. I rotate my basses and use whichever one I fancy unless I am trying something in particular out.

Guitarists seem to vary - I play with 5 altogether and they all do different things.

3 drummers - seems consistent that if kit is supplied they will use that, if not they bring their own.

Like a lot of people have already said, the idea is that we have all learnt our bit and the rehearsal is just making sure we can all do the right bit at the right time. Also, because we are a bit older, we need to practice our stuff regularly as we forget otherwise. :)

My last couple of actual gigging bands used all the gear to rehearse that we'd use at a gig. We wanted to make sure that we sounded how we wanted to sound.

The last but one band I was in, both guitarists never once brought their own rigs. We never gigged as they'd spend most of the night moaning about the sound & generally playing way too loud. I ended up quitting that band.

The last band, the founder (keys & guitar) insisted everyone bring their own gear & he would take his own PA to rehearsal too.
Unfortunately, I gave up playing before that band got to gigging stage.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426968712' post='2724312']
How do you give up playing?

Blue
[/quote]
It was taking up too much of my time. So I stopped playing & sold all but my bass & acoustic guitar. Rarely played them over the past 7-8 months.