Why become a member? ×

Filter Quest!

dannybuoy

Filters are funny things. It's interesting that everyone who has tried to do what you're doing has different experiences and preferences. I tried the EHX Qtron (big box, mini and micro versions), broomstick bottom feeder, wonderlove, proton, GR and GR2 from 3Leaf, the aforementioned boss unit (detested it), the byoc envelope filter, zoom b3 (more than passable actually), and a few more I can't remember right now! My overall favourite sounding filter was actually an EHX big box Qtron, but couldn't put up with the size or the 24v power supply requirements so I've settled on a 3Leaf GR2 (like original GR too). You've got a great sounding filter in the mini if you can sort out the volume spike.

I always thought by volume spike, people meant it was overly resonant at certain frequencies that could hurt your speakers... I don't get that with my Q-Tron at all, although there is a volume boost when it is turned on that should be simple to mod. So not sure which issue you are referring to.

I did fear the Enigma could damage speakers in this way since the sweep can start a lot lower, and if you have the resonance set high, when it sweeps down low it could take out some woofers... The Sonuus Wahho (another brilliant sounding filter I forgot to include, sold on because I did not like the interface) has a nifty feature where you can set a separate Q value for lower and upper frequencies to counteract this.

Edited by dannybuoy

When I was talking about the Micro Q-Tron previously, by volume spike, I meant the volume boost that you encounter when you engage the pedal. I think this is a common 'feature' across all the Q-Tron models. How would you mod something like that? bear in mind I am not particularly technically minded!

Are the Line 6 Otto filters any good? They're £19 at Dolphin Music [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/effects-fx-pedals/12227-line-6-otto-filter-pedal/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&gclid=CjwKEAjwlsSoBRDoid2ihqnjjlISJABZoG9-giOkV8igB-BSK0jtsXFAJl6_7F8kk8StYooFZXV4JhoCPa_w_wcB"]here[/url].

Edited by ColinB

I also meant volume boost - spike was a bad word to describe it!

The mod is just adding a pot or trimmer between the output of the pcb and the footswitch. Not easy to do on the "micro" as the footswitch is on a ribbon cable. Easy on the mini though!

The mod that Bigwan did to my Mini Q-Tron's msde them so much more usable. But like he said - they are SO darned unreliable. For me, they are everything I want in a filter EXCEPT for the ability to blow up speakers when they feel like it. And whilst they are ridiculously big - there's something that's just right about that for this pedal ;)

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1427202763' post='2727033']
Nice review. I've not tried one of these before. The sound clips of the Boss FT-2 make it sound like a stellar filter.
[/quote]
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427205192' post='2727098']
Agreed, thanks for posting, just snagged one on eBay!
[/quote]

Thanks, Bo0tsy!

And glad to hear you got your hands on one, dannybuoy! Hope you got it at a good price too! As I recall, they are not very expensive on ebay.

Well I paid £84 for it, not too bad I hope considering it's in very good condition and a reasonably rare MIJ Boss pedal - there were others looking a lot more beat up for £100 and over.

It came in today. No problem with lows or volume boosts, and a really nice response that lets you play it like an instrument... but it's too clean for me. It just doesn't have that warm distorted greasy funk of the Mini Q-tron! All other filters including this Boss are going to be moved on and I am going to try and hunt down a big box Q-Tron+ and possibly splurge on a TruTron 3X if I make the mistake of going online after a few drinks this weekend!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427382085' post='2729687']
I am going to try and hunt down a big box Q-Tron+
[/quote]

Just be sure you can live with 24v supply and that HUGE box. They do sound AWESOME though!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427382085' post='2729687']
.........possibly splurge on a TruTron 3X if I make the mistake of going online after a few drinks this weekend!
[/quote]

I don't think you will regret going for the TruTron3x; but if you do you could ask Mike Beigel to discount your bill to leave out the US wall wart, which will be no use over here. I got the appropriate UK one from [color=#444444][email protected] [/color]
[color=#444444]Part Num. [/color][color=#444444]PW02817 AC-AC POWER SUPPLY, 12V 500MA 2.1MM; Hei T3004ST STONTRONICS. it was around £8[/color]
Mike himself helped me identify the right power supply, as they are very tricky to find.

BTW - I bought the MuFX Octave Divider at same time - couldn't resist it's delicous tones - you can check demos on YouTube and MuFX sites

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427453929' post='2730516']
Thanks for the tip, this looks like the one:

[url="http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/t3004st/ac-ac-power-supply-12v-500ma-2/dp/PW02817?ost=PW02817"]http://cpc.farnell.c...817?ost=PW02817[/url]
[/quote]

Yup, that looks like it. Mike B was v helpful and knocked about $30 off for me (if I remember correctly); but that was on a double order (TruTron + Octave Divider); they also threw in an MuFX T-shirt!

Well, I caved and ordered the Mu-tron 3X. That's right, the [b]Mu-tron [/b]instead of the Tru-Tron - it turns out they are allowed to use the trademark outside of the US.

I'm not going to go for that Farnell power supply just yet as they quote £10 delivery and I already have a generic Maplin one with adjustable voltage and interchangeable tips that should do the trick.

Interesting thread and I loved that FT2 review.

Just a little shout out for the humble DOD FX25, still my fave filter pedal for the way it squelches the lows. I always found the Q-tron a little 'quacky' for my liking.

I don;t have a clip to hand but here's a good one. It reacts quite differently depending on what type of bass you run through it but with the sensitivity set right you can get a really greasy sound:

(not me playing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyC1esbDG4

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1427969140' post='2736383']

Just a little shout out for the humble DOD FX25, still my fave filter pedal for the way it squelches the lows. I always found the Q-tron a little 'quacky' for my liking.

I don;t have a clip to hand but here's a good one. It reacts quite differently depending on what type of bass you run through it but with the sensitivity set right you can get a really greasy sound:

(not me playing)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyC1esbDG4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=zQyC1esbDG4[/url]
[/quote]

I always preferred the FX25B to the straight FX25, added blend :). Goes deep too!

Si

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1427969140' post='2736383']

(not me playing)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyC1esbDG4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=zQyC1esbDG4[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah, the Q-Tron is definitely more suited to more higher register expressive playing. I find the MXR better for low down dirty grooving especially on the B string hence why it's now staying in the fold!

I will hopefully be taking delivery of one of the first new WMD Super Fatman pedals very soon. I loved the original and the new one has some interesting tricks up its sleeve, William has certainly stirred up the excitement anyway!