Why become a member? ×

Filter Quest!

dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427967333' post='2736346']
Well, I caved and ordered the Mu-tron 3X. That's right, the [b]Mu-tron [/b]instead of the Tru-Tron - it turns out they are allowed to use the trademark outside of the US.

I'm not going to go for that Farnell power supply just yet as they quote £10 delivery and I already have a generic Maplin one with adjustable voltage and interchangeable tips that should do the trick.
[/quote]

Hope you love it as much as me. Interesting about the Mu- vs Tru- Tron naming; though mine does have name Tru-Tron on it, even though exported to UK. Re the power, Mike Beigel was insistent about getting that voltage as AC not DC and not too much (or was it too little) current - I think about 500mA is OK, but not certain. It might be worth double checking the spec of your Maplin PSU with Mike B direct.

I got my Mu Tron 3x from Thomann, it was assembled in Germany from U.S. parts via A.T. Music Electronix which I guess is a Mu-FX subsidiary company and came with an EU AC two pronged adapter. As you say in Europe Mike can use the Mu Tron brand name but he lost the U.S. trademark many years ago and had to rename it. I kinda like it that we get the Mu Tron name with the vintage logo on a new pedal. I really hope you enjoy the new Mu. It was the pedal that effectively ended my filter quest. Here's a pick of mine with my Bootsy bass...

Mu-Tron 3X in the house! Sounds similar yet different to the Mini Q-Tron. The Mutron has much more quack going on which requires more subtle right hand technique to keep under control, whereas the Q-Tron can be played with a more relaxed feel as it's not so resonant down low. The Mutron has control over the output volume too, but I've found it distorts more easily than the Q-Tron with my BB1025X which has a pretty hot output for a passive bass. The bandpass mix setting on the Mu is also just as useable as the lowpass setting.

So, quest complete for now, I will be keeping the Mutron, the Mini QT and the MXR!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1428090290' post='2738059']
I got my Mu Tron 3x from Thomann, it was assembled in Germany from U.S. parts via A.T. Music Electronix which I guess is a Mu-FX subsidiary company and came with an EU AC two pronged adapter. As you say in Europe Mike can use the Mu Tron brand name but he lost the U.S. trademark many years ago and had to rename it. I kinda like it that we get the Mu Tron name with the vintage logo on a new pedal. I really hope you enjoy the new Mu. It was the pedal that effectively ended my filter quest. Here's a pick of mine with my Bootsy bass...
[/quote]

Mine doesn't have the logo though!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1428441913' post='2741377']
Yeah, up sweep and low range is where it's at for me.
[/quote]

I am using mine for guitar at moment and up sweep, high range is most use for me; but I do like the chewiness of the down sweep too. I'm sure if I was using it for bass, I would be in low range too; which is also nice for guitar, but tends to get lost in mix....lucky it's got that gain in the pre-amp for cutting through when required. I like the distorted end of the pre-amp gain side too......

• 11 months later...

So, quest update...

The big box Q-Tron arrived to sit next to the Mini. It's more versatile but not as funky.

The TruTron left the building to be replaced by a Meatball, which now takes the top slot. Better than its descendants the Groove Regulator and GR2 IMHO.

I have a rekindled love for the MXR M82, it just works so well in a mix due to the blend but is still wild enough to be audible. Also you can use it as a boost pedal.

Tried the Manta... and returned it.

And finally...

I have a Mr Black Fwonkbeta incoming which is the most goddam funky sounding pedal I have ever layed ears upon!

http://youtu.be/wnrl3gkAbGs

I have a feeling I might just end up with this and the MXR and call it a day.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1458415651' post='3007514']
I have a feeling I might just end up with this and the MXR and call it a day.
[/quote]

Wash your mouth out! You know there's no such thing as a destination in this game - just a journey!

Edit: the Mr Black sounds AWESOME...

Edited by Bigwan

That Fwonkbeta does sound very interesting. Been watching the thread on talkbass with interest. Keen to hear your feedback on that one Dannybuoy. I'm still loving the Chunk, Mu-Tron 3x and Q-Tron filters of this world. My go to filter pedal at the moment is the humble Micro Q Tron, my first ever filter purchase and one that I'd written off previously! If you get the internal trim pot adjusted just right the distorted quack is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1427972155' post='2736436']
I will hopefully be taking delivery of one of the first new WMD Super Fatman pedals very soon. I loved the original and the new one has some interesting tricks up its sleeve, William has certainly stirred up the excitement anyway!
[/quote]

Well, the WMD Protostar has been with me for a little while now.

Big step up from its little brother, really cool filter and the patch bay is something unique. Great with an expression pedal and the LFO is really musical too. Crazy and subtle sounds to boot :)

Ultimately though, I will likely move it on (once its actually on general sale) as I don't have too much use for a filter at the moment.

Saying that, would still like to try a Trutron...

The Fwonkbeta is AWESOME. The most warmest, wettest, greasiest, and most expressive vocal-like filter I've played. It makes any other filter sound subtle in comparison. The manual is most accurate in it's description!

http://www.mrblack.jackdeville.com/manuals/fwonkbeta-manual.pdf

The only downside with it is nasty clipping if I dig in REALLY hard with my Sandberg Basic with a bit of mid and bass boost. The MXR handles that bass fine and the Meatball slightly overdrives in a nice way... But the Mr Black is digital so doesn't like being overloaded.

There will be a Mini and original Q-Tron and Nano Bassballs going up for sale soon...

Edited by dannybuoy

There's a couple of reservations I have about the Fwonkbeta Dannybuoy. One is that it's digital. I have an EHX Talking Machine; great unique sounding vocal formant filter, but to my ears at least I can tell it's digital, and (like the Fwonkbeta by the sound of it) it doesn't like having the filter overdriven. I also got to try a Manta recently and it sounded too artificial to me. I think I'm just too old school. I want my filters to sound a bit lo-fi and sloppy like they do on a 70's Funk record, (like Parliament or Bootsy's Rubber Band), and for me the Mu Tron 3x and Q Trons nail that sound, and they sound all the better for when you're digging in really hard.

EDIT: I'm not knocking the Fwonkbeta by the way, it DOES sound huge in the demos I've seen.

Edited by Bo0tsy

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1460815316' post='3029036']
I want my filters to sound a bit lo-fi and sloppy like they do on a 70's Funk record
[/quote]

That's EXACTLY what it sounds like! You wouldn't know it was digital from listening to it. I didn't like the Source Audio stuff either, too clean sounding. I can still dig in pretty hard without clipping it, just not with that particular active bass with boosted EQ digging in as hard as I can.

Any love for the Aguilar Filter Twin. I like the blendable up and down sweeps on it and you can get a load of different sounds out of it. What I don't like is the power supply and patch cables all going into the top of the pedal where there isn't enough room. I've also got the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser which is fun, but takes up too much room on my board for now. Had a Proton in the past and found it very musical but it somehow got lost in a live setting and didn't like certain basses. Definitely on my list to try is the MXR if one comes up cheap enough.