Why become a member? ×

Fretboard noise bleed normal?.

Twincam

Never had this with rounds or flats. My tapewounds E strings on occasion give off a lot of fretting noise, string rattle on fretting or lift off, mainly when playing fast which i think is a combo of there low tension and nylon coating which is very forgiving not coming through the amp. However the actual fretboard noise is fairly loud and does bleed through a little too much when i mic the amp.

Is it normal to get a lot of actual unamped noise from the bass itself bleed through?.

I am getting a better mic which isn't as omnidirectional so that will help as mine does seem to pick up everything, boiling kettle downstairs etc. And if i sit further away or in another room its also fine. And di is obviously fine too.

This is pretty much down to the low tension of the strings , you wont find the sound through the pick-ups as it is the slap of the string on the fretboard , well it is when I use them, the picks won't hear the sound only react to the string vibration.
A cab mic might pick up some room ambience but it does sound very sensitive if it can hear the kettle downstairs !