Why become a member? ×

Angling the cab

ras52

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1427804483' post='2734399']
Not necessarily, since the midrange and high frequency pattern is cone shaped. The picture below shows +/- 30 degree dispersion, which is about average in the upper mids from a bass cab. In the upper frame the cab flat on the floor puts the audience within the dispersion pattern, but not the player. In the lower frame with the cab tilted both the audience and player are within the dispersion pattern.

The issue with lifting the cab is that if you lift a small cab high enough off the floor to hear the mids at close range you will lose boundary reinforcement in the midbass. That can be beneficial, if the room is boomy, as that will reduce the output in the boom frequencies. But in a dead room you may not want that reduction in the midbass. If you want to be ready for any contingency have the ability to either tilt or lift the cab to suit the room.
[/quote]

Thank you for enlightening me. It seems the cone of pleasure is all encompassing!

The girl in the diagram however ( or young long haired lout) , doesn't seem so convinced . Her body languge suggests she is quite apathetic about the sound and is ready to leave, no matter what you do !

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427819309' post='2734655']The girl in the diagram however (or young long haired lout), doesn't seem so convinced. Her body languge suggests she is quite apathetic about the sound and is ready to leave, no matter what you do!
[/quote]

That's because it's a Raconteurs gig.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1428676012' post='2743701']
The stand has arrived.... and we've come a long way since GAS 1.0!

[attachment=189047:IMG_03381.JPG]

(I'll be trying it out in rehearsal tomorrow.)
[/quote]

:lol:

let us know what you think!

sturdy?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1427804483' post='2734399']
Not necessarily, since the midrange and high frequency pattern is cone shaped. The picture below shows +/- 30 degree dispersion, which is about average in the upper mids from a bass cab. In the upper frame the cab flat on the floor puts the audience within the dispersion pattern, but not the player. In the lower frame with the cab tilted both the audience and player are within the dispersion pattern.

The issue with lifting the cab is that if you lift a small cab high enough off the floor to hear the mids at close range you will lose boundary reinforcement in the midbass. That can be beneficial, if the room is boomy, as that will reduce the output in the boom frequencies. But in a dead room you may not want that reduction in the midbass. If you want to be ready for any contingency have the ability to either tilt or lift the cab to suit the room.
[/quote]
[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1427630130' post='2732413']
+1. I bought one and it wouldn't work with any of my cabs. Resorted to a MarkStand.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that illustration Bill

PS. BassBunny - where did you get your Markstand?

I took a look at a Stagg stand, but it didn't work with my PJ 4x5 cab - as the cab was too big, depth-wise

How much adjustment is in one of those stagg stag thingies? I have a TC250-12, which is a lot deeper than that cab, and was wondering if it would still be stable on a stand with a smallish angle - it is hard to work out what it is like just from the pictures