Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM over drive

Kevin Dean

Ufortunately Dave, you are very wong. The preamp tubes should have some time to run properly after turning on the amp.
They need time to warm up to work at all.

I have two tube preamps and one hybrid amp - none of them starts working immediately, they need time to warm up. I hade SVT-3PRO which needed approx 45 seconds to work after turning on.

Edited by mazdah

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1427044904' post='2725020']
Ufortunately Dave, you are very wong. The preamp tubes should have some time to run properly after turning on the amp.
They need time to warm up to work at all.

I have two tube preamps and one hybrid amp - none of them starts working immediately, they need time to warm up. I hade SVT-3PRO which needed approx 45 seconds to work after turning on.
[/quote]
I said 'in my experience'. Perhaps it's you that's wrong?

In my experience of running an amp with preamp valve. It does take abit of time before you start hearing noise. It doesn't come on instantly on my experience. The amp I was running is a Ashdown Spyder 550 at that time.

Takes around 10sec or so before you can hear noises when you plug the strings.

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1427112066' post='2725803']

I said 'in my experience'. Perhaps it's you that's wrong?
[/quote]

Well I may have used wrong word, because English is not my main language and here in Poland we have much less polite way of speaking than people in UK so I apologise if I offended you. I wasn't trying to be rude.

Preamp tubes and hybrid amps indeed doesn't have and doesn't need "preheat" option (standby switch) but every tube needs few seconds to start working properly. That's why 3pro has build-in "auto warm up" and starts playing after 45 seconds, and that's why hybrid amps come to life after few seconds (gradually increasing the volume).

Edited by mazdah