Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

Or why are they leaving...?
I count 5 in recent weeks and another couple of prolific posters who have drastically reduced their activity.
Losing one can just be that they've found better things to do but half a dozen..?? and these are all high
count and decent, IMO, posters...!!

What is going on..??

It's a cumulative thing. Decisions and changes made some time ago have driven Basschat progressively further and further away from its roots.

The last few months have seen an acceleration which suggest an approaching cliff edge.

I hope I'm wrong, but the number of founder members who have either radically reduced their involvement or left entirely is deeply concerning.

Perhaps the most worrying aspect is the Soviet-era silence on the subject from what passes for management here.

I'm on record many times over the years as being highly supportive of Ped & Kiwi; my usual metaphor is Basschat-as-a-pub, where you're allowed to stay so long as you obey the landlord's rules. If you don't like the rules, find another pub.

I haven't changed my views, but this pub is a much less friendly and supportive place these days, and the bar staff are acting very strange and whispering to each other a lot.

Not good.

Not good at all.

I think you've hit nail on head jack. When I first joined , you had tbbc who was great entertainment . Sarah 5 string ,mewsie Sarah billy Sheehan ,old git (rip)
some of the moderators have moved on(?). It's very hard sometimes to get your point across, but a lot more posts see more basschatters jumpy and shouty.
Not my thing .

Didn't know that sort of history and because I don't really do cliques and such, I hardly know anyone here off site
so not really aware of anything like that.

I've seen some very good posters just vanish, so thought they'd had a fight over a thread and I'd missed it..
That wouldn't explain all of the absences tho so I guess things are changing.

That in itself wont make any difference to me but I always think the real value of places like this aren't the high numbers
of members ...as a significant number of them will hardly contribute anything at all... it is the core 'community' member
and wealth of knowledge that are the things of value. Without that, all you'll have is a members scheme but no community...

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1427046197' post='2725044']
It's okay. I'm back now lads.

Seriously...which members are we talking about as I seem to see the same folk posting. However, I'm quite new to the forum...maybe 9-10 months.
[/quote]

I didn't really want to make it about specific people as such... so wasn't going to name names.

Seriously...which members are we talking about as I seem to see the same folk posting. However, I'm quite new to the forum...maybe 9-10 months.
[/quote]

Yes who are the 'Good' posters please?

As someone with only a year on the forum i see posts from the same people most of the time.

Did they post about particular topics or is it their conduct that denotes them as good?

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427046438' post='2725051']

As someone with only a year on the forum i see posts from the same people most of the time.

Did they post about particular topics or is it their conduct that denotes them as good?
[/quote]

As I said, not sure I want to pick out 'my' defintion' of good posters but at a guess I would say they would have 30,000 posts between them..
so maybe substitute 'very active' rather than anyone I specifically gel with meaning 'good'.

There aren't that many threads than can afford to lose that sort of input, and I've felt that you have to look pretty hard for more than 4
worthwhile threads on the whole board...???
I don't see that as a good trend... altho of course, I also think these sort of sites have a shelf life and 5 years seems a pertinent cycle
in the life of these things before they becomes commercial and stuffed with ads and the same threads pop up again and again..
It depends how bored you get going around and round in circles..!! :lol:

[/quote]

As someone with only a year on the forum ...
[/quote]

My point, I'm afraid.

Basschat was created by a particular bunch of people. Whether or not they (we) intended it, that bunch gave this place its ethos.

Those people are going, and those who are left don't even know who they were!

When all that's left is (relative) newbies and foreign posters with three posts trying to sell Foderas, you may wonder why it's gone so quiet.

I think with most forms of social media the novelty eventually wears off with any user. I think the demographic of users has changed too. A lot of people now read these forums on their phones rather than wait until they get home to open up the pc to look at a forum, therefore they have social media overkill and just need a break from it. Personally i like forums to be entertaining and not overly moderated and BC is fairly good for that. Again also you will see topics repeated time and time again.....i mean who will read every single thread on a forum? Certainly not me.

I think BC is definitely one of the friendliest music related forums i've been on but all forums have foibles it's just the nature of things.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427047241' post='2725062']

Basschat was created by a particular bunch of people. Whether or not they (we) intended it, that bunch gave this place its ethos.

[/quote]

What is that ethos and who should be ensuring that the founding principles are adhered too?

I think most people are happy to follow rules and guidelines but how can you be sure everyone knows what they are?

[/quote]

It's actually 1 year since you joined - happy anniversary..

I've been away for a while. It seems much the same except that threads seem to get locked more readily. Perhaps I've missed some unpleasantness thats necessitated this zero tolerance but I do feel nostalgia for a bit of banter and abuse.

Most missed posters? TBBC and Dr Dave, pair of ***** as they are :-)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427047766' post='2725069']
What is that ethos and who should be ensuring that the founding principles are adhered too?

I think most people are happy to follow rules and guidelines but how can you be sure everyone knows what they are?
[/quote]

Good grief! I don't know you personally and I have no intention of being offensive, but do you actually understand what ethos means?

Anything that can be defined and pinned down in terms of rules and guidelines is the very antithesis of ethos.

The people who have gone, or have gone quiet, are those who gave this place its character, simply by being who they were/are ... exceptionally nice people who like helping and interacting with other musicians.

Any attempt to enforce "niceness" or "being supportive" is doomed to failure.

IMHO of course. YMMV.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427048452' post='2725081']

Good grief! I don't know you personally and I have no intention of being offensive, but do you actually understand what ethos means?

Anything that can be defined and pinned down in terms of rules and guidelines is the very antithesis of ethos.

The people who have gone, or have gone quiet, are those who gave this place its character, simply by being who they were/are ... exceptionally nice people who like helping and interacting with other musicians.

Any attempt to enforce "niceness" or "being supportive" is doomed to failure.

IMHO of course. YMMV.
[/quote]

Well when you put it like that how could anyone possibly find it offensive 😉

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427047766' post='2725069']

[/quote]

I wouldn't know as wasn't here in the beginning and like I say, I don't have any interest in cliques or clubs.
To me, it is what it is, which is a central resource and a place to participate/chat. I've met very few BC-ers and
have no real interest in doing so.. if it happens for a good reason, then so be it, but I'm not fussed about
it otherwise. I have too many musical friends I need to get to see already.

I do detect a change somewhere though... and this place is not the place it was. I can get through the threads
pretty quickly now... which can be good thing...so..??

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1427048452' post='2725080']

Most missed posters? TBBC and Dr Dave, pair of ***** as they are :-)
[/quote]

I'd forgotten about them... so they weren't on my 'miss' list

I posted this a couple of days ago on the "Rickenbacker" thread, and maybe this is contributing to why some people are not posting so much nowadays.

[i][b]"What is happening to BC lately, there seems to be so much anger on it these days"[/b][/i]. :(

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1427049279' post='2725094']
I posted this a couple of days ago on the "Rickenbacker" thread, and maybe this is contributing to why some people are not posting so much nowadays.

[i][b]"What is happening to BC lately, there seems to be so much anger on it these days"[/b][/i]. :(
[/quote]
I agree. I am frequently surprised by the willingness of some members to engage in instant conflict over seemingly innocuous posts.

I recall a thread I started to inquire about how a certain player attained a specific tone a while ago....another member here met this inquiry with an instantaneous high level of confrontation that was breathtaking ...

I blame testosterone.

BTW I really miss Dingus and his input - he appeared to thin out after being surrounded by a pack of angry (wolves) members over yet another pointless debate

Edited by White Cloud