Why become a member? ×

I Want something Ratty!

0175westwood29

Evening all,

having a bit of a change around on the board as i do every sort of 4 months, and im thinking of getting something based on a Rat circuit, have the original and it was good but rather than grab one of those i fancy getting a newer clone with more options.

so basically the two i know of are the Rat tail and Rat king by Fuzzrocious and im pretty sure the cog effects TK-421X is based on a rat

anyone owned both? or have an idea how these would work with my ctm-100 and if they play nice with other pedals such as octaves and filters?

andy

Have you tried the Idiot Box Blower Box? I would start there, it's a good take on the rat sound with immense low end. Absolute bargain too!

Also there is the MXR Bass Distortion that's been recently announced, designed in conjunction with Ryan from Fuzzrocious - it looks like a smaller Rat Tail with a clean blend.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='stacedabass' timestamp='1427052185' post='2725162']
you sounded great last night Andy. i used to have an original RAT pedal, loved the distorted sound, just lost all the bottom end so got rid of it in the end. Though have sounded a few which have been modded for bass :) good luck with the search, Nick
[/quote]

cheers nick! so did you man!!

will check out the blower box danny, i think i might need to have something with a clean blend, but from having a heliotropic i know the fuzzrocious pedal keep alot of lows.

andy

I've had a rat tail, blower box and TK-421x. The COG, for me, is a class above.

Blower Box boosted bass just didn't sound right to me, and rat tail too thin sounding. COG just dials in right, sounds like i always wanted a RAT to sound :)

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1427060806' post='2725359']

I have to agree with Gaz on that. That COG is a bit special.
[/quote]

Me too! It's very fat sounding on its own, much more so than the Rat Tail, and then there's the clean blend with LPF on the TK-421-X if you really need it!

Recently played some big gigs with this as my main sound, and everyone complemented me on my tone! :-) Even Jon Pearce (ex-Reuben) asked how I got my distorted bass sound!...

• 2 weeks later...

agree sounds good Bakerster!

so problem is i now after looking on the Fuzzrocious site i want a "Demon" sounds really good, def sounds in rat territory, but after being on that site i also want a dark driving!

can maybe see me taking a punt on the tk, as from my "Red 5" custom i know how good cog stuff is.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1427918755' post='2735951']

so problem is i now after looking on the Fuzzrocious site i want a "Demon" sounds really good, def sounds in rat territory, but after being on that site i also want a dark driving!

can maybe see me taking a punt on the tk, as from my "Red 5" custom i know how good cog stuff is.
[/quote]

I thought that the COG Knightfall pedals were in the same family as the Demon / OCD pedals - may be wrong though...

Fuzzrocious stuff has just never really clicked with me - bought an OSD (what the Demon was originally called), rat tail, two grey staches, a dark driving and a tremorslo over the years. Sold them all on. The only one that was (to me) really special was that first grey stache. Stupidly sold it!! But he then tweaked the circuit, and the second one I bought, to replace that first one, was nowhere near as good. I do like their pedals, it's just from my experience, I have found better equivalents of everything I have bought from them (aside from that first stache!) - there is a lot of fan-boy-ism surrounding them on the net though.

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1427918755' post='2735951']

[/quote]

Check out the EHX Glove, it's meant to sound good on bass and is also an OCD clone. Worth a punt for £39!

On the Dark Driving, I found it to be a pale imitation of the Blueberry and much prefer the Bearfoot version I have now.

I would hold off buying anything ratty until the new MXR comes out!

I get my RAT fix using a standard Proco RAT and a Boss LS-2. Sounds awesome. Sound guys love it because the bass doesn't disappear, and if you buy second hand the pair of pedals can be had for about the same as one of the Boutique RAT types, but with the added bonus of having an LS-2 which is useful for lots of things.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1427959346' post='2736210']
I thought that the COG Knightfall pedals were in the same family as the Demon / OCD pedals - may be wrong though...

Fuzzrocious stuff has just never really clicked with me - bought an OSD (what the Demon was originally called), rat tail, two grey staches, a dark driving and a tremorslo over the years. Sold them all on. The only one that was (to me) really special was that first grey stache. Stupidly sold it!! But he then tweaked the circuit, and the second one I bought, to replace that first one, was nowhere near as good. I do like their pedals, it's just from my experience, I have found better equivalents of everything I have bought from them (aside from that first stache!) - there is a lot of fan-boy-ism surrounding them on the net though.
[/quote]

totally valid man, ill be honest ive been a bit like that when it comes to some stuff, sadly its mxr that ive always disliked, only there drive stuff tho.

ive actually ordered a demon, got it with the gate/boost mod and an external switch for the lpf/hpf

still looking into rat pedals, but will see what happens in the next few weeks be nice to have a few to try, already have a dry/wet blend on my board so no need for the ls-2.

andy

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1428010402' post='2737123']
I think you'll be really happy with the Demon, one of their best imho, and I've had most of them too!

Would have kept them all if I hadn't needed the cash!
[/quote]

really looking forward to it, my pedal collection is def getting a revamp atm got in a nice easy to hide colour aswell.........gold