Why become a member? ×

Alternative (conventional design) to the MarkBass LittleMark2 sound

gillento

[color=#141414][font=Georgia,]
I joined a band about 6 minths ago and I have been struggling fitting my bass sound into that band.[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Georgia,]
We have a hard hitting drummer, a hammond player and two 4x12" guitar players.[/font][/color]
No I have tried:[/font][/color]
Ampeg SVT CL w. 810 cab[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Georgia,]
Ashdown ABM500 w. 810 cab, Aguilar db212 and Ashdown CL414H cab.[/font][/color]
Now, recently I tried a LittleMark Lm2 with that db212 cab, and voilà, everything sounds great and everyone is happy.[/font][/color]
What amp with a conventional power section (aka heavy amp) does that MarkBass sound best?[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Georgia,]
I just want to have another option that can be more easily repaired.[/font][/color]
Please, his is NOT a Class-D or switching power supply bashing thread![/font][/color]

Before I started using a LMIII, I used a PA amp (1000W Carvin) and a parametric equaliser, on the grounds that I wanted a clear, clean sound that I could eq to my taste. I didn't want any distortion, valve "warmth" or flavour-of-the-month "tone". When I plugged the Markbass in, I found that it sounded similar to my PA amp setup. Clear, clean, flat. I didn't do any in-depth comparisons, but I am fairly confident that the Markbass did not colour the sound of my bass.

I can't suggest any brands, but I think that's what you're looking for.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1427115078' post='2725863']
Tough one! Perhaps try some old SWR stuff?
[/quote]

SWR heads come up fairly often at very low prices in the Basschat market place - worth buying cheap to try, sell on if you don't like.

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1427292973' post='2728405']
The LM is class AB.
As I wrote, I do not intend to bash either class D, AB, D ..... or switching power supplies.
[/quote]
Latest lm3 apparently has been changed to class D, but MB didn't exactly make a show of it,..... More of a stealth change :)

Good luck in your search,
Cheers Pete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1427302872' post='2728617']
Latest lm3 apparently has been changed to class D, but MB didn't exactly make a show of it,..... More of a stealth change :)
[/quote]

I thought it was still a class AB power section, but they moved from a linear to switch-mode power supply.

Certainly my LM3 hasn't got a big transformer in it, but it's light, sounds great and has been reliable, FWIW.

I know what you are going through G.
I fell in love with MB amps some 8 yrs ago. I tried to find something "similar" as a back-up and must have tried everything on the market and gave up. Decided that only MarkBass amps sound like MarkBass, so I now have 2.
An SA450 and LMIII in my CMD121 Combo. Same amp section just a few more controls on th eSA450.

I would not part with my littlemark 2...easy to use, good tone variation, plenty loud enough
and fits in a laptop bag!..i much prefer it to the genz streamliner 900 i used to own, and
i find it just as powerful, if not more so!

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1427370725' post='2729410']

I thought it was still a class AB power section, but they moved from a linear to switch-mode power supply.

Certainly my LM3 hasn't got a big transformer in it, but it's light, sounds great and has been reliable, FWIW.
[/quote]

I was going on the info in a thread about the lm3 redesign started in December last year. Of course I might have misunderstood the thread. Anyway, as the OP is looking for alternatives to the markbass it's a moot point.

Cheers Pete :)

Hi Gillento,

Not sure I understand your problem. If you are lucky with the LM2 why not stay with it? I am playing a LM3 and am fairly happy with it, because it does not colour my sound. If I need a little grit I switch on an EBS Valve Drive. The only other amps I could imagine to work that way are German Glockenklang Amps (Blue Sky, Blue Soul).

When you say 'headroom' do you really mean more volume? If you use two 8 ohm 2x12 cabs the volume would be much more than with a single 2x12.

I have a 4ohm 410 and the LM3 drives it to huge volume no problem. Is your cab 4ohm?

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1427370725' post='2729410']
[/quote]

Ok, that was evidently a *stupid* thing to say - the LM3 blew up last night in an impressive mushroom cloud of acrid smoke.

So, chalk me up as another dude desiring a simple reliable amp which sounds like a Mark Bass I guess :unsure:

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1427775141' post='2734071']
Eden?
[/quote]

I was going to say that I can hear my valve in the pre-amp working on my SWR SM400, but I do drive it very hard.
If you could find a SM900, then that would be a good call as that would have the headroom to not push the pre.
I assume a big Eden WT amp would do the same.

The best amp with the DB212 is the DB750/751...by miles, IMO. I can get close-ish if I run the TH500 with the bass down, but
then I'm not sure it would be man enough for that band line-up..??