Why become a member? ×

Daddario EPS 220 versus EXL 220

Helderius

Hi,

Need help on this.
I want to put new strings on a new Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 5
I am thinking of putting on some 0.40 because I do not like very tense strings
[color=#222222]I'm undecided[/color][color=#222222] on [/color][size=4]Daddario EPS 220 or Daddario EXL 220[/size]

Would like to know your views on major differences in these string.

Cheers
Hélder Luís

Edited by Helderius

These are D'Addario's standard steel (EPS) and nickel (EXL) strings so the principal differences are going to be that steel will be a bit brighter and snappier whilst the nickels will be warmer and rounder.

Steels are a little harsher on your fingers but if you play regularly then you'll soon get used to that.

Quite often nickels tend to have a little less tension than steels but D'Addario, very helpfully, list set tensions and they say he EPS220's are lower than the EXL. Not by much but might help if you like to bend strings a lot :)

Both sets are relatively low tension of course because of the light gauges. If you want to go really light then the 180 sets drop the G and D strings even lighter whilst keeping the E and A the same as the 220's

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427135888' post='2726278']
These are D'Addario's standard steel (EPS) and nickel (EXL) strings so the principal differences are going to be that steel will be a bit brighter and snappier whilst the nickels will be warmer and rounder.

Steels are a little harsher on your fingers but if you play regularly then you'll soon get used to that.

Quite often nickels tend to have a little less tension than steels but D'Addario, very helpfully, list set tensions and they say he EPS220's are lower than the EXL. Not by much but might help if you like to bend strings a lot :)

Both sets are relatively low tension of course because of the light gauges. If you want to go really light then the 180 sets drop the G and D strings even lighter whilst keeping the E and A the same as the 220's
[/quote]
Thank you for your feedback, I will try EXL200 and later I let you know