Why become a member? ×

Feedback on clips from last gig

mingsta

Hi guys could I get some constructive criticism on a few clips that i recorded of our last gig?

We were looking to put together a few clips together of a live performance so that we can give prospective customers an idea of what we are like. The question is, would a recording like this do more harm than good? I've seen some really slick bands play at a few local venues and am concerned that we might look a bit amateurish. So any pointers to improve the presentation would be much appreciated. We don't have the budget for studio time so it'll have to be cheap and cheerful whatever we do (like rehearsing more!). If we are miles off the typical pub standard (I've seen a few very good ones lately, which worries me!) it'd also be good to get that called out with some feedback on what needs to be worked on.

In terms of what we are aiming for, we are definitely in the amateur/weekend warrior category and just looking to reach out to some of the local pubs and restaurants to get a more regular stream of low profile gigs in sw london. We are currently playing about once a month on average at a local pub and getting hired for private parties off the back of that and are looking for more of the same.

Ta!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mingsta88/mawrats-prenton-park-gig-clips-from-1st-set"]https://soundcloud.c...ps-from-1st-set[/url]

https://soundcloud.com/mingsta88/mawrats-prenton-park-2-clips

Edited by mingsta

Thanks for the feedback, I've just added clips of the second set.

We'll put the clips up on a band website...I agree that my soundcloud account is not the place to do it!!! I look even more like a wife beater/meth addict nowadays.

Tim, we probably do need to work on our mix a bit. On a typical gig we literally spend 5 seconds sound checking.

I flicked through all the tracks and a few things struck me that I would focus on...as a punter.

Sound is very samey in that I hear a lot of gtr and the same type of sound and style.
This could get a bit wearing if the crowd aren't with you right away..which can be the nature of pubs..i,e indifference.

Vocals are interesting but the whole band might suffer from an underwhelming performance. The tracks and delivery are too easy to ignore and therefore drift away from. Nothing grabs you much.

As for a video, I don't think you need get one as audio should be enough ... but I have to say, these tracks aren't selling you.
If you are going to be different....and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to be like 100 other bands.. then you need
to be able to carry your particular quirky angle.

You seem to a be a listening band rather than a participation band and that might be hard to get a gig...unless the songs themselves are especially strong.
I just think the band need to give it more beans and get up and at them. It is too easy to switch off...which is why I skipped through the tracks.

Nothing offensive there but nothing grabs me..?? Sorry to be a bit blunt..