Why become a member? ×

How many basses do I *need*?

ras52

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427205503' post='2727107']
For the last 20 + years I have covered everything you've listed with just one of my fretted 5 string basses.

IMO anything else does not come under the heading "need".
[/quote]

This, in all seriousness. I've recently got my 5 string US Lakland and that killed my GAS and "needs". It covers everything I need except for a fretless which I don't currently have the need for. So I suppose a 5 stringer will suffice for most if not all circumstances.

Edited by MikanHannille

I bought a 5 string recently with a view that it would flex the little grey cells learning my way around it and pretty much do everything i need from a bass.....however i find myself drawn back to wanting a 4 Precision.....perhaps the keyword is "Wanting"

I'm very happy to say 2... If I had a new one made, I'm pretty sure it would mean I would sell
a current one.

They are pretty versatile as far as I am concerned and so is my playing style.
Both are 5's and both are strung with wounds. I don't have any call to change
them around but if I did, I would. I'd likely change them back pretty quickly tho..

Mmm,well... Gas is soooo dangerous ! We already know that. TBH , if you're gigging or just recording sound cloud stuff etc.I would say you only need 2 ( 3 if you want a 5 or 6'er). You have your main bass which is either fretted or fretless. Then you get the sister of that bsss.then if you're lucky enough to get a 5/ 6 string of that,you should be well catered for.
There is (yet another ) debate for some folk who have multi string basses, and that one seems like their only bass as they can play virtually anything on it.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1427223552' post='2727563']
Mmm,well... Gas is soooo dangerous ! We already know that. TBH , if you're gigging or just recording sound cloud stuff etc.I would say you only need 2 ( 3 if you want a 5 or 6'er). You have your main bass which is either fretted or fretless. Then you get the sister of that bsss.then if you're lucky enough to get a 5/ 6 string of that,you should be well catered for.
There is (yet another ) debate for some folk who have multi string basses, and that one seems like their only bass as they can play virtually anything on it.
[/quote]

I would add to this that i like short scales too.....so extra gas 😨

All I 'need' is:

Two 5-string basses
Identical make and model
One fretted, one fretless
Roundwounds on both
24 frets (i.e. 2 octaves for the fretless)
Bridge and neck pups
3 band eq with active/passive switching.

Everything else is just 'want'. (And I do want ...)

Edited by GrammeFriday

What do you need ?
I always have ONE bass , a back-up and a frankenstein (un-fretted). But my main is my main. Bringing 5 basses on stage often means constant need to set your amp to try to find a sound.
I have a main bass and I almost never plug it when at home. IME if you can make it sound good unplugged there's nothing you can't do when plugged..Knowing that you have just one amp on stage most of the time. It saves a lot of time setting up tone when you know an instrument. When you have like 20 basses you don't really know them..

Now , depending on what you do , sometimes you need more than one but in order to avoid extra-time trying to find a sound maybe you should have like the same bass with different setting ie : jazz bass 4 with flats, jazz bass 5 with rounds , jazz bass fretless. You have the same pickup configuration almost same neck so you might find it easier to get the tone you want without looking constantly at the head like "hey homie that not how you sounded at home".
But after a years and many many shows you really need one bass...If you can make it do what you want unplugged yu'll make it will do what you want on stage, but if it sounds good plugged and you put your trust in big amps head and baffles , when on stage it could be different and but will always stay constant is the relationship with your instrument, it will dictate all the rest. I feel like Yoda now...

Edited by Pasco Jacorius

What about pickup configurations? One P, one P/J, one Jazz, one twin humbucker... ermm... a kazoo...

[quote name='Pasco Jacorius' timestamp='1427319998' post='2728975']
I feel like Yoda now...
[/quote]

He usually turns up around 6.30.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1427324308' post='2729041']
I think its cool to own a lot of stuff for sure. I'm the first to admit.

Wondering how many of them do i actually NEED : probably 4....

1 P with rounds / one with flats / jazz with rounds / Fretless something
[/quote]

Why P with flats but not J with flats?

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1427382937' post='2729707']
I think is cool to own a lot but most of the time they will just gather dust.
[/quote]

I can quite well gather dust just sitting here without the aid of 99+ guitars and save myself a fortune! ;)

If you're recording then you may need a few different ones for certain sounds but live I think it all gets lost to an extent. But then think about the number of arguments there have been about what bass Geddy played on what songs recorded

Unless you're in a Paul Young or Weather Report tribute band I don't think many punters would hear the difference between fretted, fretless, active, passive etc.

I've lost count the number of big gigs I've been to where the bass player could've been playing anything.

The answer for me has always been 1 but I've mainly played wedding/corporate/function stuff and there is very rarely the chance to check the tuning between songs never mind change basses

I've just temporarily retired my Precision as I need the 5 string for the new band. I won't sell it but it's there for the next time I need it. I spent far too much time and money getting it as close to perfection as I want it just to sell it on.