Why become a member? ×

How many basses do I *need*?

ras52

I used to think the answer was [b]three[/b]:

- fretted with flats
- fretted with rounds
- fretless with flats

but I'm just getting into fivers, so I need all of the above in both four- and five-string versions, which makes [b]six[/b].

Now I'm on the brink of joining a band which tunes down a semitone, so I need all of the above in band-ready tuning as well as in standard tuning for other use, which makes [b]twelve[/b].

But whenever I pick up a bass with rounds on, I start wondering whether to try ground-wounds... so for that I'd need fours and fives in standard and band tuning, bringing the total to [b]sixteen[/b].

And I haven't considered putting anything other than flats on a fretless.

Edited by ras52

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427191641' post='2726847']
As far as *need* goes, the answer is zero. And you've fretted with flats twice, any particular reason? :)
[/quote]

I don't know what you're talking about, one of them says fretless, and it always did :-D

But now that you mention it, I'm sure there's a reason to have two (x N) of them... P and J, maybe.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427191117' post='2726831']
...whenever I pick up a bass with rounds on, I start wondering whether to try ground-wounds... so for that I'd need fours and fives in standard and band tuning, bringing the total to [b]sixteen[/b].
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427194736' post='2726893']
What do you NEED? Whatever you use for your current musical project(s), and if that involves playing live an identical spare for each one.
[/quote]

So ras52 will in fact need [b]thirty-two[/b] basses. :)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1427195000' post='2726898']
You can do everything on a 5 that you can do on a 4, so you don't need the 4's.
[/quote]

If your 5s cover the same ground sonically then you don't need the 4 stringers unless the band(s) you are in specifically require them for the image.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427195082' post='2726901']
I can't, but that's just me I think. :)
[/quote]

Not just you, I can't get on with a 5 string. I don't like wide necks very much. I could do with some extra low notes for a few numbers with my new band so will probably string one of my 'spares' to BEAD and risk venturing up to the dusty end if required.

Back to the OP - 'need' - I am sure I have seen the word before but not entirely sure what it means.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='andy159' timestamp='1427196113' post='2726920']
im sure this bass will cover everything in just one bass, so al you need is this

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU20TS1vvCg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=nU20TS1vvCg[/url]
[/quote]

Does it say "Prat" on the headstock? :blink:

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1427198049' post='2726942']
Just buy 2x 6 string. 1 fretted and 1 fretless and you should be sorted lol
[/quote]

nah, two 8-strings. One fretted, one fretless. Each one strung EADG (roundwound), EADG (flatwound). This would require some modification of the nut, and willingness to look like a complete tool showing up to gigs with a pair of 8-string basses.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1427200000' post='2726966']
There is no absolute answer to this question, it is always "one more".
[/quote]

This is of course true. Perhaps what I am asking is how many I can justify... hypothetically.

I'm getting by with just the one bass at the moment... It's a sixer as I use it for lots of different projects, some of them utilising chordal looper stuff so I need the extra range. But for the most part I'd get away with a five string for 95% of the stuff I do and to be honest I'd get away with a a four string for 90%. It just suits me to have an instrument the covers all the bases I need and I find sixers comfortable enough to play now I'm used to them.

I have a fretless four comming as I tend to keep things simple on fretless and don't much fancy trying to play chords in tune on a fretless sixer...

I would probably have a collection of basses if I was playing in bands that needed me to fit in with their image... as it is, I play for fun as a hobby and anyone who doesnt like my image etc can find someone else :)

I would ideally like to have a back up live but I'm usually traveling to gigs on public transport so it's not really feisable to lug two basses and an amp around with me... especially not two sixers :blink:

The answer is always provided by the following formula:

N+1 which must be = D-1

where N is the current number of bass guitars and D is divorce or seperation

I do not know enough to comment on a 6 string but I would go with four: one jazz, one precision and repeat each fretless: all 5 string

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1427203196' post='2727043']
The answer is always provided by the following formula:

N+1 which must be = D-1

where N is the current number of bass guitars and D is divorce or seperation

I do not know enough to comment on a 6 string but I would go with four: one jazz, one precision and repeat each fretless: all 5 string
[/quote]

To be pedantic, the limit on the formula (N+1) < D. :)

And being serious for a moment, the Jazz/Precision thing makes sense. I'm a P kind of guy but like the occasional neck pickup, so in theory I could get the number down to two, i.e. 2x P/J five-strings, fretted and fretless.

At this stage of my bass playing career, I would prefer to use a P/J 4 string fretted, a 4 string fretless and a 6 string jazz bass. I just need to replace my 4 string fender jazz to a 6 string lol. I can cover 95% of the songs in my band with my 4 string P/J but at time I wish I have a 6 string and the odd songs my fretless will be called.