Why become a member? ×

Why I LOVE my Rickenbacker

bigd1

I really like my Rickenfaker, it sounds great with flats, (not sure if I need the nut doing to accommodate) but it's the lump under my right fore arm I'm struggling with, I either play too far back to the bridge or end up sticking my arm between the camels humps.
Which means a softer tone than i want sometimes..
Dropping it a bit helps., but then I look all lemmyfied..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427316329' post='2728913']
How about Hans Peter Wilfer?
[/quote]
I don't know what he's like as a business person but I mailed Warwick with a question about one of my basses a few weeks ago and received a very quick and pleasant reply from Hans-Peter himself. That's one of the ways to build brandy loyaly imho.

Those people who swear they'll never buy a Ric because of Mr Hall's alledged tendency to threaten litigation at the drop of a hat, shouldn't forget about the second hand market. You CAN buy a second hand Ric, and not a penny of the proceeds will go anywhere near Mr Hall's coffers. Saying that though, the current price of second hand Ric's is getting so that you can generally buy a new one for around the same price as you'd pay for an old one... go figure!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1427368967' post='2729383']
Those people who swear they'll never buy a Ric because of Mr Hall's alledged tendency to threaten litigation at the drop of a hat, shouldn't forget about the second hand market. You CAN buy a second hand Ric, and not a penny of the proceeds will go anywhere near Mr Hall's coffers. Saying that though, the current price of second hand Ric's is getting so that you can generally buy a new one for around the same price as you'd pay for an old one... go figure!
[/quote]

That's just what I did :) (except it was a pretty good price second hand too!)

It's entirely true my brand antipathy is entirely as a result of Hall and his behaviour. A Rick was my dream bass from my teens (thanks to Lemmy, Geddy, Foxton, Squire etc) and I'm sure if the company had a human, reasonable CEO, I'd own one.

As it stands, I'd love an early 70s 4001, with all the vintage bling - checked binding, explodey Grovers, full-width inlays - and preferably in naturally-darkened Fireglo. I wouldn't touch Hall-era ("RIC") stuff, simply because it drips with the man's (probably metaphorical) spittle - although that curent walnut/maple board LE 4003 is [i]gorgeous[/i]... If they'd put checked binding on that, I'd worry for my principles. :ph34r:

As it is, I'm very happy with my triumvirate of pretend ones.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1427375232' post='2729515']
It's entirely true my brand antipathy is entirely as a result of Hall and his behaviour. A Rick was my dream bass from my teens (thanks to Lemmy, Geddy, Foxton, As it stands, I'd love an early 70s 4001, with all the vintage bling - checked binding, explodey Grovers, full-width inlays - and preferably in naturally-darkened Fireglo. [/quote]
I had one exactly as you have described - bought it used in 1985 for £300, got £350 for it in a trade for a brand new Wal in 1986!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1427375232' post='2729515']
although that curent walnut/maple board LE 4003 is [i]gorgeous[/i]...

[/quote]

Like this one?! My main gigging bass for the last 6 months. Looks, plays, and sounds fantastic :)

[url="https://flic.kr/p/qRT4Hs"][/url]

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1427403768' post='2730084']
Like this one?! My main gigging bass for the last 6 months. Looks, plays, and sounds fantastic :)

[url="https://flic.kr/p/qRT4Hs"][/url]
[/quote]

The very one. Checked binding would've pushed me over the edge... B)

J.