Why become a member? ×

Terms and phrases

gadgie

Lots of these are annoying. I'm always wincing when someone uses "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" - As a simple single negative you think people would learn to make some sense.

I can handle then/than or farther/further etc, simple misuse of words that can be easily mixed up in conversation. As long as the logic is close, I'm not gonna complain. It's very telling when written down however. People using poor spelling, grammar or the like when communicating is frustrating and makes it hard to take them seriously, especially if they only know one language!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427227908' post='2727660']
I've been trying to bring back the term[i] " Groovy "[/i] and it ain't working at all. :D

Blue
[/quote]

Groovy is ok. I like it. I will join you in the attempt to bring it back in to use [i]man[/i].

If any of you casually use the word 'brought', as in to bring, when you mean 'bought', as in to buy, please take a moment to place your head into a lavatory and operate the flush mechanism. Repeat as necessary until such time as a life-changing urge to permanently stop that misuse overcomes you. Cheers ;)

As soon as anyone starts a sentence with Basically, I think - Tosser. Especially if he's wearing a short sleeved shirt with a tie. For some reason that really offends me.
That and misusing Totally - more often they will say toealleee - Bugs me. Theres sposed to be a f***in T in it, innit ?

In fact missing the T out winds me up generally.

Groovy is good tho :P

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1427223404' post='2727558']
Just remembered another one.

When someone says:

'I gave a 110% to make thing work' eh! Probably means you were only giving 70% before and now a wee bit more...let's say 80%
[/quote]

That one does bug me!

100% is optimum. 110% is just inefficient.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1427214599' post='2727340']
I particularly dislike it when the word "like" is thrown into a sentence far too often
[/quote]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427226988' post='2727629']
That's very unfortunate if you're from Cardiff.
[/quote]

Or Bristol :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1427240361' post='2727911']
That one does bug me!

[/quote]

I suppose I should point out that anything over 100% isn't really logical. % = per cent = one part in a hundred. Ergo, NOT one part in a random number MORE THAN a hundred. Oh, and not 'percent' either (unless you're American). I could say I'm not normally this pedantic,....but I am ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1427240361' post='2727911']
That one does bug me!

[/quote]

Me too.

Surely, once you have given 100%, if you give any more you've just started whatever it is you've just completed all over again...

As far as percentages go - I look on it as a convenient fraction.

i.e. 50% = 50/100 or 1/2 or one half.
110% = 110/100 or 11/10 - an improper fraction, and sounds weird when said "One hundred and ten percent" or "eleven tenths" - But it makes sense, as icastle said: it can be used to describe an increase in something, for example:

[i] We sold 1,000 novelty balloons last month, The month before we sold 500.[/i]
[i] So last month sales increased by 100%, or were 200% of the previous months sales.[/i]

Upon reflection - if someone says they're giving 110% - it only tells you they're giving an extra 10% on top of what they were giving before. Sounds better to say "I'm giving it everything I've got" or "I'm giving 100%".