Why become a member? ×

Terms and phrases

gadgie

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427227908' post='2727660']
I've been trying to bring back the term[i] " Groovy "[/i] and it ain't working at all. :D

Blue
[/quote]

I've been using it for ages... it's beyond 'sick' which is pretty lame these days

I'm groovy about groovy. B)

However, this is an old one, but getting more common: [b]"nuculer"[/b].

Did anyone, anywhere, say this before it was "popularised" by the dubiuously-elected, warmongering, alcoholic, functionally-retarded George Dubya Bush? And why would [i]anyone[/i] want to sound like that vicious cretin? Even the agonisingly English, middle-class ToryBoy guitarist in my band says this now, in his cultivated, cut-glass 1950s RP accent. Makes me want to kill him twice.

And one more, this just keeps on going, and makes me more unreasonably borderline-psychotic every time I see it - which is every time I visit here, or any other place which discusses basses or guitars.

OK - it's "Squier".

"SQUIER".

[size=5]IT'S SPELLED [b]"S - Q - U - I - E - R"[/b], OK? GOT THAT???[/size]

What - are you labouring under the assumption that Fender have been spelling it wrong since 1982 and you are engaged upon a little personal crusade to point their mistake out to them, is that it?

It's soddin' "Squier". [b]"Squier"[/b]. Right?

Btw - :P, and ;), and hopefully :lol:.

J.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427226926' post='2727626']
Don't be forgetting our friend Mr. Diagonally.....
[/quote]
Ah, but isn't diagonally a simple combination of forwards and sidewards?

To be honest I was going to add "What about moving in circles?", but of course this is only a combination of forward and sideways as well

I don't like "Bad" meaning good, "Take out" as opposed to a take-away meal, the "Oh my God" shrieked at high volume by most females under 25 or worse, actually shouting "OMG" and "Whatevah"

Not too keen on "The bottom line" either.

I'm please that "groovy" may be making a comeback though due to Blue's one man quest to return to 1968. I quite liked "cool" too so I'll be joining his campaign.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1427281199' post='2728158']
I really cant stand it when I hear the derogatory term "Guitards" used to insult our 6 string friends. I have a brother who has learning difficulties and this term upsets me. :(
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1427282082' post='2728175']
Mid-Atlantic pretentiousness abounds on here. People think it's cool to say Pull the trigger when it just makes them sound like a numptie.
[/quote]

...pretentiousness ... People think it's cool to say [whatever] when it just makes them sound like a numptie

OMG I'm 110% groovy with this going forward... like.. :-)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1427283472' post='2728198']
I don't like "Bad" meaning good
[/quote]

Quite. When Michael Jackson released an album with that title I found it very, very hard to disagree with him, dismal literalist that I am.

J.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427289017' post='2728302']
I've said it before but the increase in using 'of' in place of 'have' (when preceded by 'should', 'would' etc) is irritating.
[/quote]

As is "bored of" instead of bored by or bored with. That and "seckertary". And all sorts of other things too. I'm off to calm down now.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1427289586' post='2728311']
As is "bored of" instead of bored by or bored with. That and "seckertary". And all sorts of other things too. I'm off to calm down now.
[/quote]

I'm a bit concerned about all this stuff I keep hearing about "terrists". They sound like awful people, and the fact I now live in a terraced house means I'm worried I'll either be blown up or detained by security services.

And what's all this about a "generalection" that's meant to be happening? I blame the terrists.

J.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427290830' post='2728345']
I tell you, I'm a hair's breadth away from flouncing off, joining facebook and starting my own group for spelling and grammar pedants who also happen to dabble in a bit of bass. Who's with me?
[/quote]

I'd be totally up for dat wouldnt I, except for the flouncing bit anyroad.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427289343' post='2728305']
Someone in a meeting a couple of weeks back in reference to trying out a new idea said "lets run it up the flag pole and see how it flies"... nob... :mellow:
[/quote]

Did you do 'rainbow thinking' to get there?

One day the tune I'm humming in my head whenever I hear that phrase is going to come out loud. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427300891' post='2728581']
Did you do 'rainbow thinking' to get there?

One day the tune I'm humming in my head whenever I hear that phrase is going to come out loud. :)
[/quote]

To be honest I'm not sure how we arrived at the point for him to unleash that particular beauty... I wasn't really paying attention as I was looking at BC on my phone :blink: