Why become a member? ×

VT DI opinions

Patchbass

So I'm considering getting a vt di very soon and was just looking for opinions on it, what it's like in a mix etc. And does it overly colour your bass or amp? As I would like a bit of colour but the sound of my bass and amp to still come through.
Cheers,
Patch

Edited by Patchbass

It's possible to set the EQ and character to give a reasonably flat uncoloured sound, I know this because I did a frequency analysis on my old v1 VT Bass. The same knob positions don't yield the same results on the v2 and DI models, but it should be achievable, plus you have the blend to make things easier.

Thanks guys, I don't mind some colouration as obviously that's what the pedals made to do in a sense but was thinking about the sound of my amp and bass still coming through but then I wonder to save a little more and get a b7k or VMT deluxe as I love the standard VT

I have the V1 and just did a review with some sound examples if you want to hear some of the settings. Overall, I think it quickly gets over the top if you crank the blend, drive and presence knobs too much. In fact I often use it completely neutral (but unched in), which adds somethig nice to the sound in certain cases. A bit hard to explain in words, but it is demoed in sound example 5 here:
http://bass-pedals.com/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-review.html

I have not yet tried the VT version, but will actually get one very soon and want to do some A/B comparison sound clips between v1 and v2.

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1427490545' post='2731188']
Thanks guys, I don't mind some colouration as obviously that's what the pedals made to do in a sense but was thinking about the sound of my amp and bass still coming through but then I wonder to save a little more and get a b7k or VMT deluxe as I love the standard VT
[/quote]

A B7K or VMT will not take the place of a VT Bass DI, if that is the tone you want. I had all three, sold two and just kept the B7K...and regret it. The moment I free up funds I will buy a VT back for sure. I used it as a slightly hairy preamp running into the Darkglass pedals, they stack brilliantly. It colours your tone, however that is the whole point of it :)

I used to have to programmable Bass Driver DI a few years ago and sold it because I really couldn't get on with it. I've recently bought a VT DI and to be honest im having similar issues and I'm not as blown away with it as I'd hoped. I'm sticking with it for the moment but I don't think its this Holy Ampeg Grail that it's pitched as..it could be me though.....

Steve