Why become a member? ×

Genz Streamliner 600 problem

catmanhog

Hello all,

I know there are a few Genz threads running but haven't seen one regarding the amp not powering up.
It has come to me by way of trade for other things and after initially playing it to test, getting it home to play for about 5 minutes, it will now not power on.
Have changed the power lead for one i know works but still nothing...
Not had this issue before myself with any other heads so unsure if it has just...expired...
Any ideas...?

Thanks.

I think they have some kind of internal fuse thing relative to the power system it uses - which is unique, apparently..but yes, i think it may be the fuse.
Basically...do not touch! I should just have stuck to an acoustic bass...

IT simply don't power up? No lights? No nothing?
Or it doesn't pass sound? Some problem with the cable that connects to the cab?
Did you switch on the back for 110V or kept the 230? (it automaticly fries the internal module. had read that somewhere on the Talkbass).
Try also to connect, through the Headphone input, and see if it pass sound to the phones.

Do you have the manual? (you can download from the internet).

Good luck with it ;)

Check the voltage selector switch. If it is on the wrong voltage it will be expensive.
What happened between checking the head to ensure it worked and switching it on and it not working?
We've all done stupid things, this could well be something simple and/or cheap to fix.

I suspect it's the voltage that has fried it...iv made some enquiries in the Midlands this afternoon and no one willing to touch it as they don't have much experience with GB.....I wish i knew what happened! I used to have a Ampeg PF500 so well aware of the voltage situation.
Looks like i'm on the scrounge in the meantime!

Reading through this if I've got it right, it worked for around 5mins it is unlikely to be the voltage problem mentioned, unless you have physically changed the setting.
You know the wall socket is OK, the kettle lead is OK, so unless it has fried, likely to be a fuse inside. Most manufacturers will hsve a mains fuse somewhere to ensure the correct protection as it is easy to pick up a kettle lead with a 13 amp fuse instead of a 3 amp.
Unfortunately as Fender have "assett stripped" Genz and sold the remains on, there doesn't seem to be any support, in spite of the fact that the amp is guarenteed for 3 years.
So the choices appear to be to get inside yourself and see if there is a fuse, or try Real Electronics, they provide support for TC Electronic, Roland, Mark Bass etc. and may be prepared to have a look.
I know plenty of people in the NW who would be prepared to have a look.

Thanks for the suggestions - Agedhorse from the Talkbass site has offered some support to anyone who looks at it but iv tried 4 people in the Midlands and they are not keen, due to not having seen too many Genz amps. Will try Bass Direct next.
I also have some gigs next week so time will also be a factor.

Thanks again.

Not sure this helps, but the manual says:

[i]For countries using 220V, 230V, and 240V AC mains, select the 230V switch position on the Voltage Selector switch. There is no externally accessible AC mains (line) fuse, the internal fuse is integral to the SMPS power supply and is not user serviceable. This fuse will not fail except under very unlikely fault conditions to the SMPS, and if this occurs a qualified service technician is required to correct the problem.[/i]