Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson Analysed - Bernadette by the Four Tops

rw3cja

Good stuff, Chris and very insightful.

I consider Jamerson one of my favourite players, and recall doing much of my music degree based on his playing/work. I hope however, it doesn't put people off buying a really tremendous book! (maybe a link on your site to it on Amazon or something?)

[quote name='Simon' timestamp='1427448173' post='2730403']
Good stuff, Chris and very insightful.

I consider Jamerson one of my favourite players, and recall doing much of my music degree based on his playing/work. I hope however, it doesn't put people off buying a really tremendous book! (maybe a link on your site to it on Amazon or something?)
[/quote]

Good idea - now added to the website.

[quote name='rw3cja' timestamp='1427636981' post='2732518']
That debate is a whole other discussion...
[/quote]

I actually messaged Carol Kaye via her Facebook page about an Elvis track she claims to have played on (Suspicious Minds). After I mentioned that copies of the session sheet show Tommy Cogbill and Mike Leech as the bass players for the session in Memphis (She is based in LA) how did she come to play bass on the track? She blocked me. I must have hit a nerve or something.

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1427648184' post='2732671']
I actually messaged Carol Kaye via her Facebook page about an Elvis track she claims to have played on (Suspicious Minds). After I mentioned that copies of the session sheet show Tommy Cogbill and Mike Leech as the bass players for the session in Memphis (She is based in LA) how did she come to play bass on the track? She blocked me. I must have hit a nerve or something.
[/quote]

Didn't she also claim to play on "I Was Made to Love Her" (unmistakably Jamerson) ? I think I read somewhere that others related to the song confirmed it was Jamerson...

Edit: Here's [url="http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html"]the link[/url] about it (scroll down to Who Played Bass on Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her"?).

Edited by Simon

[quote name='Simon' timestamp='1427723246' post='2733438']
Didn't she also claim to play on "I Was Made to Love Her" (unmistakably Jamerson) ? I think I read somewhere that others related to the song confirmed it was Jamerson...

Edit: Here's [url="http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html"]the link[/url] about it (scroll down to Who Played Bass on Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her"?).
[/quote]I guess when you have played on as many songs as she has, the memory may get sketchy. I don`t see why she would tell an outright lie to try to get credit, as she hardly needs needs the recognition

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427754765' post='2734009']
I guess when you have played on as many songs as she has, the memory may get sketchy. I don`t see why she would tell an outright lie to try to get credit, as she hardly needs needs the recognition
[/quote]

Maybe. No disrespect to her, but Jameson's playing was on a different level imo.