Why become a member? ×

Fingers

Thump

How long did it take you to build up enough hardened skin on your fingers so as to not be in pain when trying to play?

I thought my fingers would be fine with the shift to bass from the previous two decades of guitar playing. Not so. In fact fretting is a little sore at times and it feels like i'm developing blisters on my fingertips.

Guess i'm just gonna have to ease back a little and let them recover , which is the hard bit. Generally when i'm not working or looking after my kids there is a bass in my hands , i just can't stop trying to improve my playing at every given opportunity

Took a while...hard for me to place exactly how long, but I can remember coming away from rehearsals with shredded fingertips a good two or three years after I first took up the bass. If I remember rightly, it stopped hurting quite a bit before that. I did find GHS Fast Fret was quite good for reducing the friction between my fingertips and the strings, especially as I would have been sanding off a lot of skin back then!

Couple of months maybe. Though I still get little blisters now if I do several nights in a row with a lot of digging in on the strings (depends on the band/sound).

Have you considered not plucking the strings as hard? Or installing flats?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1427302352' post='2728612']
Have you considered not plucking the strings as hard? Or installing flats?
[/quote]

I like the sound a good hard pluck makes. And as for flats , they will be a future excuse for more basses just like a fretless , 5 string , 6 string etc. ;)

[quote name='Thump' timestamp='1427303835' post='2728631']
I like the sound a good hard pluck makes.
[/quote]

That could be a part of your problem. As I see it, another part might be playing for too long at a time. My advice
would be to give the fingers a day or so to recover. Then play for about half an hour to forty five minutes a day
for about five days to a week. After that, increase the time to an hour. Ease back if you feel any pain.

One other thing to consider is whether you are pressing down too hard when you fret.

It might seem annoying and frustrating not to be able to play when and for as long as you want, but it should only be for a short time.

Besides, what can be more annoying and frustrating than having those dreaded blisters. :)

Edited by Coilte

Years ago I was playing a gig with my beloved cream Tokai Jazz copy, probably fairly drunk, and I noticed that the people at the front of the audience were really staring at my bass. I assumed that they must have been wondering what kind of rare and precious instrument could produce such an awesome sound, or perhaps gazing in astonishment at my amazing right hand skills. But then I looked down and saw that the bass was all spattered with blood because the end of one finger had kind of come to pieces without me properly noticing.

I can't remember how long it took to build them up. But a few weeks ago my washing machine broke down and I had to do loads of hand washing before I could get a replacement. My callouses started softening up! Oh no!

Got a new washing machine before my hands totally reverted to total princess mode. Phew! :-)

[quote name='Thump' timestamp='1427300709' post='2728579']
How long did it take you to build up enough hardened skin on your fingers so as to not be in pain when trying to play?
[/quote]
It didn't. I play for hundreds of hours a year and I don't have blisters or callouses.

If you're in pain when you play you're doing it wrong.

Never mind your fingers, you're risking RSI.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427310817' post='2728779']
It didn't. I play for hundreds of hours a year and I don't have blisters or callouses.

If you're in pain when you play you're doing it wrong.

Never mind your fingers, you're risking RSI.
[/quote]

Strangely I never suffered from callouses. Although apparently I have hands like bunches of banana's :unsure:

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1427308903' post='2728733']
I heard it said that if you mop a little bit of surgical spirit on your fingertips regularly it toughens them up. No idea if this is true, though.
[/quote]

This is true, I used it last summer after a gig on a very hot night had made my fingers soft because of the heat & humidity. We had a gig the following night and my fretting fingers were very sensitive, I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish the second set. Surgical spirit repaired the damage before the next gig a week later.

Strangely enough I never have any problems with this when practicing or rehearsing, however when I play gigs I always end up with sore fingers the next day. I obviously play much harder in front of a crowd.

And all this after 30+ years of playing. Go figure.

Edited by White Cloud

Its not that i fret too hard or anything, i just can't put the damn thing down!

My wrist is fine , my fingers are fine , zero pain from anything tendon related.

But the fingertips.... not tough enough. Yet.

To enlighten further , if my wife is at work and the kids are at grannies house for the day , then i'm playing bass. The entire day.

I will practice for as long as possible. Literally. The other day i managed a seven hour session with only breaks for toilet etc.

I simply cannot help myself , bass has become an all consuming passion for me , the more i play the happier i am.

I used to smoke , up until my friends 21st when we both agreed to stop. That was 15 years ago and i have not looked back since , no regrets at all. No yearning for it , nothing.

But bass? totally different. I have to take a bass into work with me just in case i get a quiet period so i can practice some more. I just do not want to stop playing them. EVER.

Maybe some Iommi style fingertips are in order...

I find flats are worse. I figure that this is because they have more surface area on the skin (like a racing slick).

The other trick is to plunge your fingertips into the hottest water you can stand. The fretting crushes the little blood vessels in your fingertips and the hot water opens them back up again.

Around 18 months ago, I returned to playing fingerstyle after years of playing with a plectrum. For the finger tips of my plucking hand, it was a painful experience, but it took longer for the tendons in my fingers to become robust enough to gig. It took 6 months of regular playing before I was happy enough, not to have a plectrum handy - I practice for around 2 hours most days.