Why become a member? ×

Fretless advice please

sammybee

Normally I can control my GAS these days, but for the past two weeks I have an uncontrollable urge to play a fretless.

I've never played one before, and am curious how long it takes to adapt. Thinking mostly about intonation - would it be best to get a lined fretless? My fretted favourites are my Stingray 4 and US Std Fender Jazz - so I'd preferably like something of similar quality. Any advice on taking the leap is most welcomed.

I can only speak from my own experience however I never really found fretless to be a huge leap.

Many advise going for a lined fretless first however I prefer unlined - I suppose it just comes down to your own knowledge of the fingerboard....having played for quite a while I found my muscle memory instinctively took me to the right places... if that makes sense?

I tend not to be too anal about intonation (a lot of players are) - more often than not I nail it, however for me being slightly off at times just adds to the overall fretless tonal vibe.

It matters not what bass you go for...your name is more important than the one on the headstock. Go for it.

Edited by White Cloud

Re the lined/unlined thing, I started with unlined and have never seen the issue, the side dots are all you see and need.
And the plus is that unlined looks far nicer imo.
It's not as difficult as it seems it would be, although if you're gigging the need to hear yourself clearly is more important.

Fretless rules IMO, I love how more expressive it is, but can still do more 'straight ahead' tones. Both 'Ray and Jazz lend themselves nicely to classic fretless tones. My current fretless basses are both lined but, to be honest, muscle memory and ears take care of intonation. Funnily enough, when I go back to fretted, my fingers sit much closer to the frets than when I only played fretted.

If you end up going for an unlined board think about where you want the side dots. some bass have side dots where they normally are on a fretted bass so you played in front of the dots where the frets would be. On others (my current fretless included) the dots are on the fretlines which for me is easier to get my head (and fingers) around.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1427318647' post='2728945']
I've never played one before, and am curious how long it takes to adapt. Thinking mostly about intonation - would it be best to get a lined fretless? My fretted favourites are my Stingray 4 and US Std Fender Jazz - so I'd preferably like something of similar quality. Any advice on taking the leap is most welcomed.
[/quote]

My advice would be to get a bass that is similar dimensions and feel to one of your favourites. That makes it much easier if it feels familiar.

Lined or unlined? Unless your going to play looking at the fret board all the time I don't think it makes that much difference but I would say avoid getting a de-fretted bass as the dots along the top edge will be in the wrong place. I refer to them all the time.

Also I have found fretless a really rewarding experience.

I hope that helps

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1427333720' post='2729112']
If you end up going for an unlined board think about where you want the side dots. some bass have side dots where they normally are on a fretted bass so you played in front of the dots where the frets would be. On others (my current fretless included) the dots are on the fretlines which for me is easier to get my head (and fingers) around.
[/quote]
+1

Though my Sei is a lined fretless, I had the markers moved so that they're on the fretlines instead of between them, as I just want to be able to glance down for positioning and not refer to the fretlines. I'd rather it was unlined but that would have meant buying a new one...

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1427319277' post='2728959']
It matters not what bass you go for...your name is more important than the one on the headstock. Go for it.
[/quote]

This is the headstock of my fretless...

Have I broken your theory? ;)

Unlined, with side dots on the lines is always better and easier IMO,
I started with one that had lines, and spent way too much time looking to check if I was on the line rather than listening to whether it was the right note or not anyway.
Eventually you can give up tuning it in and just adjust where you stop the notes instead
:)

I know that you've mentioned 4 string in the OP but there's an Ibanez GWB35 for sale on BC at the moment http://basschat.co.uk/topic/258649-ibanez-gwb35-gary-willis-fretless-5-stringl350/page__fromsearch__1 great basses IMO, mine's great.

Edited by ezbass

if you go for an unlined version, you may feel you are not playing in tune, as the dots on the side are not where the frets would be. I have played both and personally found the lined version easier to play. Scott Devine (scott's bass lessons) on youtube has a great video on fretless advice you should check it out. Also, if you are just new to it I would recommend not spending a fortune on a fretless, as they are not for everyone!! Thomann sell a Harley Beton fretless jazz at a frighteningly cheap price for the spec. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_40fl_sb.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_40fl_sb.htm[/url] I can vouch for the quality and sound of this bass. Just depends if th name on the badge bothers you or not!! :P

I say start with unline because if you can handle that, it will make you a better player. My westone unline fretless is quite easy to pickup because the side dots position is place where the actual frets will be. So finding reference point is alot easier.

I spend 2 week hardcore playing on fretless and I must admit it does feel weird going back to a fretted bass lol.

I can only play a fretless like a fretted bass at the moment. Still got alot to learn.

As mentioned, the pitfall with lined is that you may be tempted to rely on your eyes rather than your ears. My solution to this is to practice with my eyes shut! Once your head (and ears) has bought into the concept of playing fretless, lined/unlined becomes a largely aesthetic issue.

I don't quite get the "dots are in the wrong place" argument, as they're also in the "wrong" place on a fretted, i.e. behind the optimal pressure point of right behind the fret.

How about starting with a low-priced but excellent-value specimen like a Yamaha? Oddly, there seems to be one for sale at the moment (looks down at sig...) :ph34r:

Not read the thread but, for my money, the 'transition' takes minutes/a lifetime.

You can play a convincing fretless part within moments; it really isn't that hard. But, for the next couple of decades, you will ebb and flow in term,s of the relationship you have with your own intonation. For me, it all gets a bit lairy up the dusty end where a couple of mil can make the difference between the smell of freshly mown grass and a fart in a space suit. It's a life long quest.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427467963' post='2730788']
Ref: lines. Not necessary. You can't see them most of the time and, if you are reading charts or watching for cues, you are screwed. Muscle memory is the skill you need to acquire, not 20:20 vision.
[/quote]

And a decent ear!

You learn pretty fast. I was thrown in at the deep end for fretless, and you pick it up faster than you'd think Found playing 5 strings harder!

Plenty of interval and octave exercises etc to help you learn. Steve Bailey has loads of examples and exercises, found them super useful!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427467748' post='2730782']
I don't quite get the "dots are in the wrong place" argument, as they're also in the "wrong" place on a fretted, i.e. behind the optimal pressure point of right behind the fret.
[/quote]

Some fretless bass have the side dots like the fretted place which is kinda wrong. On my Westone the dots is in the right place which makes things abit easier .....