Why become a member? ×

Amp choices

onehappybunny

Good people of Basschat... I’d really appreciate your help / advice after deciding that I need to go lightweight for rehearsals / gigs.

After much thinking, I have decided on the cabs (TKS S112 x 2 vertical with no tweeters) but need a head to go with them. This is where I am struggling, although I have a good idea what I need:[list]
[*]Power - enough headroom to play rock with two guitars, drums and keys for say 300-400 person venues. I don’t tend to dig in when playing so this is important
[*]Tone – warm sound but not muddy, with plenty of heft/weight to the notes and even response across lows, low/high mids and highs
[*]Noise – I would like the amp to be whisper quiet when practicing at home. So, any hissing, fan noise, buzzing etc. would be a definite ‘no'
[*]EQ – nothing too complicated. Just a good tone out of the box and a few minor tweaks on the pre-amp controls
[*]Size – small enough to fit on a vertical S112 (38cm W x 33cm D)
[*]Weight – anything less than about 10kgs would be fine
[/list]
I’ve narrowed it down to a few heads:[list]
[*]Tecamp Puma 500 / 900
[*]Glockenklang Blue Soul / Sky
[*]EBS Reidmar
[*]GK Fusion 500 / 800
[*]Demeter VTBP800
[/list]
Is there anything that I’m missing or could any owners of the heads above let me know if they think their head could give me what I’m looking for.

Many thanks

All of your listed options are modern clean (hi fi) amps as standard (the sort I go for myself)... You can of course mess around with the EQ to get what you want but if your after a fundamental character of;

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427365431' post='2729316']
warm sound but not muddy, with plenty of heft/weight to the notes and even response across lows, low/high mids and highs
[/quote]

I'd maybe sugest a GB Streamliner or the Aggie TH500 suggested above.

I know the TH500 is a very good match-up with TKS S112's..and I'd say the PF500 is good as well.
Used both of them in our TKS shoot-out demo.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248837-cn112-v-sl112-v-s112/page__p__2607747__hl__cn112__fromsearch__1#entry2607747

Thanks guys - The Aguilar TH500 is definitely an option but I read that the interaction between gain and drive can be a bit of a pain which takes some fine tuning. I'd rather just whack up the volume and have the sound stay similar... only louder! I'd prefer an amp that is warm/rich sounding and but remains clean / not distorted as volume increases. Will add it to the list to try out and keep an eye out for Steamliners etc. Interesting post about the TKS shoot-out... I feel a road trip to Bass Gear and Bass Direct coming on!

Would also be interested to hear from owners of the Glock, Tecamp etc.

Edited by onehappybunny

I thought I'd posted here about the GK MB500 Fusion, but it seems to have disappeared! Anyway, it's as warm, clean and hefty as you like. It looks a bit crap compared with the others, but if you're only concerned with the sound it matters not one jot. :)

Oh yes - it goes bloody loud too, you wont need the 800W version, trust me.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427373147' post='2729469']
I thought I'd posted here about the GK MB500 Fusion, but it seems to have disappeared!
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that and then wondered where it had gone! :huh:

BTW Mark, did you ever use yours with your Big One (erp!)? How did it sound?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427375943' post='2729535']
BTW Mark, did you ever use yours with your Big One (erp!)? How did it sound?
[/quote]

I did indeed, and it was lush. The Fusion works well with a variety of cabs, but I'm particularly liking it with my Schroeder 21012L... it's just immense. If ever there were a light, portable rig that gets anywhere near the all-valve 810 thing, then this must be it. :)

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427370251' post='2729399']
Would also be interested to hear from owners of the Glock
[/quote]

I use a Glock Blue Soul and it's a wonderful amp, but from what you have said I'm not sure it would fit the bill for you personally... You mention warmth alot and the Glock is super super clean. It's deep, punchy and powerful with tons of clean headroom but not what I'd describe as warm.

The Blue Sky is based on Glocks BAC preamp and is even cleaner...

Get yourself to bass gear and try out everything you can.

Edited by CamdenRob

[list]
[*]Noise – I would like the amp to be whisper quiet when practicing at home. Hissing, fan noise, buzzing etc. would be a definite ‘no'
[/list]
Ah, you'd have to try a Fusion for yourself in that case, as only you will be able to tell if the fan is too noisy for you. Some people think it makes a row and others don't seem too bothered. It could mean the Fusion is out of the running for you, though. Just sayin'. :)

Edited by discreet

I use an Aguilar TH500. Apparently the fan can get a little noisy on some, but mine doesn't cause me too much trouble. I have no problems with the EQ. Everything is flat and the Drive off, and distortion is not a common issue. I've only heard of with 1 amp with a problem..

I'd also suggest the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2. They have a very good tone section.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427378035' post='2729605']I use an Aguilar TH500. I've only heard of with 1 amp with a problem..
[/quote]

As I assume you are referring to mine... It is becoming increasingly clear that the amp is not the problem in itself, but using it with a Barefaced Big One is causing issues.

Despite this, I still think that the TH500 is a great amp - and incredibly small and portable for its capabilities B)

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Thanks again to all who have posted - this is really useful :) [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]It seems like all amps should be powerful enough, some may be a bit too noisey (fans etc.) when practicing at home, some may break up more as volume increases, others may be a bit too clean. [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]From what I have read here and elsewhere, I think that the Demeter and Tecamp are in pole position, followed by the Aggie TH500 and GK Fusion, with the Glock and Reidmar as outliers...[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]...but there is only one way to find out! [/color][/font]

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427389825' post='2729828']
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]...but there is only one way to find out! [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Don't want to be a negative Norman or anything, but I had my Fusion on the go at home this afternoon - the fan [i]is [/i]audible (especially if you're listening out for it) so if you're playing quietly on your own you'd definitely hear it. It kicks in as the amp heats up (obviously) and slows down to a stop when cool again, and so on.

Just trying to save you time bud - and I don't need the competition either, so trying to keep the best amps for myself... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427377290' post='2729583']
JapanAxe is the man to ask - he tested the Demeter vs The Mesa recently :)
[/quote]

Indeed I did. I was savings this for a NAD, but what the heck...

I took a trip to Bassgear specifically because I noticed they had a Mesa Prodigy in stock - rare as hen's teeth in the EC, and a nearly-new example so a £400+ saving over new. I had been heavily swayed by Mesa's YouTube video, but in the flesh with my '73 P plugged in, I struggled to get a sound I liked. It was a bit better once I found the sweet spot on the gain control, but in brief the Prodigy was unremittingly aggressive, and made my (usually well behaved) E string uncontrollably boomy. There will doubtless be a rock player who will love it.

I had thought that my sound depended on the preamp being on the edge of breakup, so I hadn't considered the Demeter. Boy did I get a surprise when I plugged in! Difficult as it is to describe sound, this amp lets you hear your bass's voice. I should mention I put the Demeter through my BF Compact, and also compared it with my go-to Streamliner. I love the round warmth of the Streamliner but the the Demeter outdoes it for clarity whilst not lacking warmth. I pick up the Demeter next week, and will furnish a full report once I have tried every combination of bass and cab. In the meantime I am reluctantly selling off some other amps (see below).

Oh yes, I also tried Dave Swift's Monique Dove Cage / Minnie 800 setup - fantastic sounds, incredibly flexible, but not the most convenient form factor, so more of a studio amp really.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1427398751' post='2729990']
I took a trip to Bassgear specifically because I noticed they had a Mesa Prodigy in stock... but in the flesh with my '73 P plugged in, I struggled to get a sound I liked. It was a bit better once I found the sweet spot on the gain control, but in brief the Prodigy was unremittingly aggressive, and made my (usually well behaved) E string uncontrollably boomy.

I hadn't considered the Demeter. Boy did I get a surprise when I plugged in! Difficult as it is to describe sound, this amp lets you hear your bass's voice. I should mention I put the Demeter through my BF Compact, and also compared it with my go-to Streamliner. I love the round warmth of the Streamliner but the the Demeter outdoes it for clarity whilst not lacking warmth. I pick up the Demeter next week...
[/quote]

Well I wasn't expecting that! :blink: Thanks!