Why become a member? ×

Amp choices

onehappybunny

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427403451' post='2730075']
Well I wasn't expecting that! :blink: Thanks!
[/quote]

[b]You[/b] weren't expecting that? [b]I [/b]wasn't expecting that! But the Demeter is one of those bits of kit that instantly makes you think 'quality!' when you start to play, plus I could find a way to afford it, so the deal was done.

BTW when you said 'Thanks!', did you mean 'Thanks a bunch for stoking my GAS', or 'Thanks for sharing that amazing event' - or something else?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1427404002' post='2730089']
...when you said 'Thanks!', did you mean 'Thanks a bunch for stoking my GAS', or 'Thanks for sharing that amazing event' - or something else?
[/quote]

All three, I suppose... :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427405412' post='2730115']
With regards to the TH500, any one run out of headroom or find it gets hit if driven moderately or hard. There just does not seem to be enough metal in there to keep a 500W (even a Class D) cool at those power levels.
[/quote]

With the right cab they get as loud as you like.

I trust Aguilar to design and build a quality amp.

I'd like to hear about it if you think those guys are cutting corners.

With regards to the TH500, any one run out of headroom or find it gets hit if driven moderately or hard. There just does not seem to be enough metal in there to keep a 500W (even a Class D) cool at those power levels.
[/quote]

Could be because Aguilar appear to 'under-rate' the power module. I really have no idea how the physics of this works but the power module they use is generally rated at 800w by many people (and 900w by Genz).

It feels to me like Aggie designed it to be wound up to 500w without overloading it and driving it to get really hot.

Certainly goes pretty loud with the right cabs and running at 4ohms.

I tried the TH 500 through an Agi 112 in Doncaster, as I was really convinced by Walbassist's video.
Massively disappointed in the volume with the gear I tried. I had to turn that drive thing a long way up to get real volume. Sad because I didn't like the sounds with the drive right up.

I ended up getting the Puma 500 and have gigged with it every week for the last 8 months.
Love it.
Powerful, simple yet great range. Even a clutz like me can not get a bad sound out of it and the "Taste" control is a great, quick, on the fly tone changer.
Still lust for big valvey things though :blush:

I run the drive up for a bit of a boost ( around 1 o clock ) but I've always had to run amps harder due to the way I play.
It is plenty loud enough in a pub/small room with the gain at 1 and 1, thru 4 ohms.
It works ok but it isn't a big block. The compromise is valid where I use it.

A few more amps to consider,

Vanderkley aurora , a few excellent reviews .

Puma 1000, has anyone compared this to the 900 ? I used to own the 900 , certainly a well made amp but it didn't seem flat enough for my taste. Lacking a bit low bass , HPF too high ?

Warwick LWA 1000, spec looks great on paper, class A pre-amp , real 1000 watts . Has anyone tested it ?

Couple of new ones coming out soon,

Bergantino B-amp,

PJB D-1000,

Both look like ideal candidates .

[/quote]

I use the TH500 with a Barefaced Super 12T. In a hardcore punk band I don`t need the volume on more than 9 o`clock. Ok, I have the drive on full, and gain at midday, but even when I got the amp and was sorting my sound with the drive fully off I couldn`t get past 10 o`clock. It`s a very powerful amp when connected with efficient cabs. It stays very cool, and I don`t even get the clipping light flashing with my settings.

I have the Tecamp 900 and that does the job for me - clean and plenty of lows (I do wonder what cabs k50 was running his with, with Berg AE112s mine is fine).

Another one to consider is the EA iAmp800. Still under 10kg but a fatty compared to most of the others on the list, hi-fi but with a sound I can best describe as creamy.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1427707141' post='2733151']
I have the Tecamp 900 and that does the job for me - clean and plenty of lows (I do wonder what cabs k50 was running his with, with Berg AE112s mine is fine).

Another one to consider is the EA iAmp800. Still under 10kg but a fatty compared to most of the others on the list, hi-fi but with a sound I can best describe as creamy.
[/quote]

Two barefaced Big Babies with five string Overwaters. Not so much a lack of bottom end but more missing some very low frequencies (IMO), certainly when compared to my Blacksmith. However, the Puma is still a great amp , very small and extremely well made .

Really interesting day out at Bass Gear and (more briefly) Bass Direct today to try out the various options. Thought I'd report back given how helpful everyone on this thread has been :)

Well, first of all I think we have a breakthrough in testing (well, new to me anyway!). We managed to set up my Ditto looper pedal and their Lehle input switching device at Bass Gear (with help from Molan - thanks!) which made the process of twiddling with knobs while playing :blink: and comparing cabs / amps a lot easier. You could record a bass line, loop it, play around with EQ / settings and then walk back and have someone switch between amps/cabs etc. really, really useful!

So here are my observations (FWIW after all they're only one person's opinions):

[b]Cabs[/b] - I loved the Berg CN112's. Slight bias towards the mids and lower mids which sounded great with the amps I tried with no EQ adjustments. The TKS S112 cabs were also really impressive but (to my ears) had more of a mids and upper-mids punch, HOWEVER, they responded really well to EQ to the extent that a slight boost on the lower mids and tiny tweak on the bass brought them to the same sound (using the same amp) as the Bergs... and they are half the price! Needless to say, I'll be going with two of the TKS S112 cabs.

[b]Amps[/b] - this was the biggest revelation. Before starting the day, I fully expected to walk away with either a Demeter or a Glockenklang on the basis that I like buying top quality gear, they have an excellent reputation and I liked what I'd heard on YouTube. However, I was really impressed with the Bass Gear approach of 'start with the cheapest and work your way up'. Much to my surprise the GK MB Fusion didn't do it for me (didn't like the tube pre - despite currently having a wonderful tube amp) and I much preferred the solid state version. The solid state GK MB 800 is way more power than I'll ever need, sounded powerful, rich but articulate and EQ'd very well when seeking other tones. After trying the GK MB 800 I tested it against the Aguilar TH500. Great amp but I wasn't keen on the interaction between gain and drive as I don't look for an overdriven sound from my amp. Next up was the Demeter. It looks beautiful, sounds great but once again, with careful EQ'g the GK MB 800 could get close enough for my ears at around half the cost. Perhaps if I was super critical the Demeter may have been marginally sweeter in the upper-mids / highs but that doesn't feature highly in my playing and not worth the extra dosh (for me). Then followed a long trek up to Bass Direct where a very busy Mark set me up with a TecAmp Puma and Glockenklang Blue Sky into two Berg CN112's. The TecAmp sounded similar-ish tonally to the GK MB 800, a really good amp but I probably marginally preferred the Glockenklang through the Berg CN112's. Really articulate, refined but punchy tone but I would be concerned that a refined, punchy amp through the punchy TKS cabs would not suit my playing. It was also the most expensive of the bunch. So after all that, I've decided that the GK MB 800 is the one to go for on the basis of plenty of headroom, light as a feather, powerful, rich articulate sound, quiet (fan didn't come on at mid volume), very effective EQ and is the cheapest of those that I looked at by over £100.

[b]Words[/b] - one person's "warm" is another person's "muddy", one person's "clean" is another person's "sterile" etc. Words have limited use when describing sound and the best way is to ask advice, narrow down the options and then try them out. Only then will you be able to find out what is right for you. Also, it's easy to obsess over gear and fine nuances when the reality is that in a gig situation very few people will notice the difference. All the amps and cabs tried were great and I'm sure (without such a great choice) any of these would have made me very happy.

Many thanks to Molan, Vic, Mike (customer, bass reviewer and labrador owner) and Mark for their help.

Edited by onehappybunny

Great fun playing with the looper and Lehle combination today.

That Lehle is so cool for running three different instruments and two different amps (or amp and external tuner etc). I may just have to buy one now'

We haven't really spent a lot of time with GK and TKS combinations - so many amps and cabs, so little time - but they really did seem to match up well :)

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427844645' post='2735089']
...it's easy to obsess over gear and fine nuances when the reality is that in a gig situation very few people will notice the difference.
[/quote]

It's true. An amp is an amp, a bass is a bass. As far as the rest of my band is concerned, none of my many amp/bass combinations have made a whole lot of difference (to them). They say I sound just like me, playing the bass. So maybe it really [i]is[/i] all in the fingers. :)

Back in the day things were more polarised. You could buy really crap amps and basses and really good amps and basses. Now most budget amps and basses are at least reasonable, and some are exceptional. Just like cars. It's difficult to buy a really crap car today, whereas in the 70s and 80s there were some [i]terrible [/i]sheds about... but my driving's just the same...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1427844645' post='2735089']
[b]Words[/b] - one person's "warm" is another person's "muddy", one person's "clean" is another person's "sterile" etc. Also, it's easy to obsess over gear and fine nuances when the reality is that in a gig situation very few people will notice the difference.
[/quote]

Totally agree about the use of words. I've found that quite frustrating recently, and even words like "distorted" don't seem to have a universal meaning among bass players! :P

Not sure about the role of gear obsession though. I'm in two minds about that one. It's certainly true that most punters only notice the bass when it's [i][b]not[/b][/i] there, and a lot of other band members are only interested in whether they can hear you or not, or whether you are too loud... But I think that if we personally are happy with our gear then our playing will be better and that will contribute to the overall band sound and performance.

And most punters [i][b]will[/b][/i] notice that! :)

Or that's [b][i]my[/i][/b] excuse, anyway! ;)

Edited by Conan