Why become a member? ×

Couriers

Fuzzbass2000

Hi - i used to use Citylink to ship guitars around the UK. never had a problem with them, but they're no longer around.

Who are people using... cost effective, trustworthy, decent on-line interface... to ship courier sold guitars these days?

Cheers

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

I think you will find we have all got horror stories and/or recommendations for the various courier companies.

My 2p's worth.

Hermes = Very slow and generally quite useless, they've failed to collect on two separate occasions, another time they said they had delivered when they clearly hadn't, once a case was opened it miraculously got delivered 4 days later.

UPS = Have proper employed staff, I personally haven't had any problems so far when using them.

I've been using UPS booked through Interparcel and over the course of the last 3 years I've yet to have a complaint about the service I've got from them. I've used them to send things all over the world. Every time I've gone with someone else for the sake of saving a few £s there have been problems.

The thing to remember with couriers is that they are only as good as the weakest link in their delivery chain. So far none of the parts of the UPS chain that I've used have caused me or the person I'm sending the parcel to any problems.

As an example you've found Citylink to be good, for me on the two occasions when I received parcels from them the service here in Nottingham was very poor.

Interparcel/UPS. If there is a problem, though, deal direct with UPS rather than Interparcel (who have a premium rate number for you to contact them on). I've only ever had one sort-of problem, and that was minor (can't remember exactly what).

Interparcel/UPS for me all the way. Had no issues over the between 10 and 20 bass deliveries I've sent using them.

Had beef with Yodel in the past, so would prefer to avoid them. ParcelForce is an absolute no-no for me as they don't (sufficiently) insure musical instruments.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427372045' post='2729437']
I've been using UPS booked through Interparcel and over the course of the last 3 years I've yet to have a complaint about the service I've got from them. I've used them to send things all over the world.

The thing to remember with couriers is that they are only as good as the weakest link in their delivery chain. So far none of the parts of the UPS chain that I've used have caused me or the person I'm sending the parcel to any problems.
[/quote]

Pretty much the same for me.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1427381432' post='2729677']
I used Interparcel/UPS when i last sold gear on here. My only quibble was that the site offered collection between 9am and 1pm. Although this wasn't guaranteed 4.45pm was a bit naff. Otherwise no problems
[/quote]
UPS have lots of pickup/collection points (my nearest is the corner shop!) which saves on the waiting in.

Edited by chaypup

I've also been using Interparcel/UPS for a while. I had one problem where a driver dropped a cab and smashed it. It took about a month to get paid out on Interparcel's insurance. It was about £300, I think. I'd used other carriers before and had a similar thing happen with another one (amplifier dropped and smashed). I tried to claim about £40 and they just stonewalled me.

It's only when things go wrong that you can tell how good a company is.

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1427420501' post='2730287']
Hi - how are you shipping basses with these guys? I can't find an option big enough for a bass.
[/quote]
I've not shipped a bass with them, the biggest thing I shipped was a MarkBass 2x10 combo.
I'm pretty sure the dimensions acceptable for the larger parcels can accommodate a bass. I'd use their online chat or give them a call.

I've used Paisley Freight a number of times, as recommended on BC some time ago. Absolutely no problem, £15.99 I think for next day delivery in the UK.
They were used to courier the BC Relay Bass up and down this land,quite a few times, without a hitch.

I generally use Interparcel and I can't recall ever having any issues.

I recently used Parcels2go - driver didn't even turn up - no phone contact either even though you're required to leave a contact phone No.

I contacted "Customer (dis)service" who offered to pay £5 into my (their) account as an enducement for me to use them again - not transferable into my bank account - won't ever be using that!!

I recently purchased something from eBay - seller used MyHermes even though I asked them not to - over 7 days for delivery....when I advised them of this they were pretty[i] non plussed[/i] about it..