Why become a member? ×

Always great to hear again - nearly 43 years later!!

KiOgon

I seem to note that Mr Glover was using a BC 'banned' bass rather a lot. One of the greatest live albums - I also rate Free Live, \the Who Live at Leeds and Dr Feelgood Stupidity as being amongst the best. Each to their own though :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427390363' post='2729839']
Sorry mate, but I have to disagree.

I'm a [i][b]Machine Head [/b][/i]purist, and the [i][b]Made In Japan[/b][/i] version remains a complete abomination.

:)
[/quote]

I've always thought this as well.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1427390762' post='2729851']
Tommy Bolin anyone? 'ducks'
[/quote]

From the wonderfully titled "On The Wings of a Russian Foxbat"

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDzyVOYBlh0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDzyVOYBlh0[/url]

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427405055' post='2730107']
...and they're both wrong, as it's Fireball all the way B)
[/quote]

Fireball is my favourite album of theirs though it rarely gets mentioned for some strange reason, it's always "In Rock" & "Machinehead" that get all the glory.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1427408089' post='2730159']
This and Humble Pie, Rocking the Filmore are amongst my fave live albums.
[/quote]

In one of my bands, I sing Natural Born Bugle ... Well there she is again, stepping out of the limousine.

Love that track.

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1427419598' post='2730285']
That's back when I was fronting for my band. Lots of Deep Purple. Space Truckin may not have been much of a song, but damn, it was fun to sing! lol
[/quote]

Space Truckin was in the set on my very first bass gig back in 73/74. Midway through the number, the pick up on my Epiphone parted company with the bass, the noise it made was truly horrid, even worse than my playing :D

I never thought I would be able to say this but, I am actually a bit young to have experienced the Purple era. I started listening to rock when they became Rainbow. Obviously I've heard the albums, but I haven't listened to them for years and I tend to think of Purple by vocalist, just the same as Rainbow . My favourite was always Gillan, but I also love Whitesnake, so I suppose it's all good for me.

Oh and let's not forget the God that was Ronnie James Dio!

Made In Japan was one of the first rock cassettes ( ;)) I ever heard (a friend had it when we went on holiday) and I love it but Machine head is right up there alongside it. But I have to say, the one ! go back to again and again, even now that I am a Jazz nazi, is 'Burn', one of the best rock anthems in the canon. (Rainbow Rising remains a favourite as well, for Airey and Powell as much as the rest)