Why become a member? ×

Orange bass terror questions

Fisheth

Hey guys, so I just bought the Bass Terror and I'm now hunting for a cab, just for practices and stuff. Got a couple of things in mind, but that doesn't really matter.

Have had some conflicting answers on this, but my question is: As long as the ohmage matches I'm safe to use the OBT with any cab? As it comes in a cute little gig bag, I'm kinda wondering if I'm safe to get it to gigs, plug it into a house cab and then go.

Or is this not safe?

Cheers.

Edited by Fisheth

Terrific amp.
It will have a 4/8 ohm selector switch on the back.
Switch to 8 ohms with 1 x 8 ohm rated cab.
Switch to 4 ohms with 2 x 8 ohm rated cab or 1 x 4 ohm rated cab.
That way you will get your full 500 watts capability at all times.
Try to make sure though, that you have at least 400 watts of speaker cab, for safety.
I don't know if they are still the same, but originally, turn the gain past 9 0'clock and break up started.
A lot of us changed the original valves to get more usuable gain. There is a great pinned post by Happy Jack in the Amps Technical section.
Enjoy.

Ideally cab rated 500 watt plus, but you would REALLY have to be going some to damage a cab rated 400 watts.
If it was a 8 ohm cab, rated 400 watts, select 8 ohms on the back and the head will produce about 275 watts, but you don't need to do that unless you are very nervous.
These things are loud and quite capable of demolishing walls so just treat with care.
A 400 watt cab, either 8 or 4 ohm will do very nicely.
Enjoy.

Edited by karlfer

Even if there is just a 16-ohm cab, select 8-ohm on the back of the amp - you may 'only' get 250W to 300W but it will be fine.

If you have set a cleanish sound on the preamp, your best guide to whether you are pushing a cab too hard is your ears - if it sounds like an elephant farting, turn down

And if it does do the Elephant Fart, try backing off the EQ. I know with passive basses (especially Ps) I used to need to cut quite a bit on the bass control.
And yes, hogwash. Selector switch on the back. Won't do 500 watts with the switch to 4 ohms through an 8 ohm cab.

Edited by karlfer

Just keep an eye on the ads on here.
For instance, there is an SWR Goliath 111, 410 at £150, absolute steal. Too far from you, but you may get a result if you make an appeal for help, ie, somebody coming to say Leeds from Surrey for Easter.

Not as cheap but excellent bargain, member 4 candle's Markbass 410. 800 watts at 8 ohms, and light weight. I played through this last week, all you would ever need. Top guy to deal with.
Buy that, put selector switch to 8 ohms, power up the amp, plug in, sonically give bystanders colonic irrigation.

Agree, that Markbass cab would be great - I had one of those, with a Markbass LMT 500 (350 watts at 8ohms). Never meeded the volume above 10 o`clock. The OTBs are so powerful it`s very doubtful you would need those 150 extra watts - and I doubt at that point any audience would be able to tell if anything was going on anyway.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1427401380' post='2730037']
There is a great pinned post by Happy Jack in the Amps Technical section.

[/quote]

Sadly no longer pinned. The thread is still there if you search for it, but it was de-pinned some time ago.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427452284' post='2730479']

Sadly no longer pinned. The thread is still there if you search for it, but it was de-pinned some time ago.
[/quote]

That's a shame. It is a brilliant resource for this amp, I used it when I had mine.

It will do 500 watts at either ohmage setting.
The only relevance the cab has is this;
If it's an 8 ohm cab and you set the selector at the back for 4 ohms, you won't get much more than half power out of it.
The only reason anybody would want to do that is if they had a low wattage cab, say 300 watts.

Get a cab of 400 watts plus.
If the cab is rated at 4 ohms, select 4 ohms on the head.
If the cab is rated at 8 ohms, select 8 ohms on the head.

Im sure my LB212 is rated at 300w I called the guy who designed it at Ashdown and he told me it was more than capable of handling the OTB. Its a 4 ohm cab, I run the head on the 4 ohm setting and if I took it over a 1/4 vol id blow the rest of the band off stage!

500w is its maximum output and I cant see anyone running these flat out. Like the advice above get a decent cab and youll be sorted.

If unmarked I`d go with the 4ohm setting just in case. Not too many 2ohm cabs around so not too much of a worry there. Just make sure you use your ears to make sure the cab can handle what you throw at it - the OTB is mighty powerful.

Great advice. Thanks!

I feel silly for not asking this sooner, but I've just received my bass terror and noticing the speaker outputs are a different type to what I've used before. What sort of type are these and where can I get some? Also are there any where one half of the cable is the type for the bass amp and the other is a standard jack so I can plug into a cab that's only a jack if needed (The rehersal places only have cabs that have 1/4 jack slots and not this bizarre alien type.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427996853' post='2736919']
Great advice. Thanks!

I feel silly for not asking this sooner, but I've just received my bass terror and noticing the speaker outputs are a different type to what I've used before. What sort of type are these and where can I get some? Also are there any where one half of the cable is the type for the bass amp and the other is a standard jack so I can plug into a cab that's only a jack if needed (The rehersal places only have cabs that have 1/4 jack slots and not this bizarre alien type.
[/quote]
Those wonderful things are called Speakon connectors. Yes you can get speakon to jack cables, google should help out there.
Cheers
Geoff

Speak to OBBM of these very pages.

Dave's feedback [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/78-obbms-feedback/"]http://basschat.co.u...obbms-feedback/[/url]

Email him telling you what you want.
His leads are amazing quality at very good prices. You can certainly buy stuff at twice the price, that will be nowhere near as good, IME.

I have used nothing but OBBM speaker cables for a few years now, and will NEVER use any others. They will probably outlive me! Can't speak highly enough, as a paying, gigging, user.
Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer