Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite versus Ken Smith

MrWalker

never owned either, but played both. I would say that both are completely different animals entirely...one is constructed from an intriguing blend of cutting edge modern synthetic materials and tone wood, the other a sublime blend of traditional tone woods.

A bit like comparing two real ales...its all about taste. You really need to play and hear both prior to deciding.

I've played both types and I think the Smith will win hands down.
More appealing to a wider band of people..should you want to sell, and a very
distinctive sound that only a Smith can do.......

I'm sure both will be good basses but the kudos also goes to the Smith...IMO.

The neck profile on the Status is probably like no other. An almost flat back and the graphite also feels different. I have no experience of the Smith basses. They are both high end basses so I doubt you'd be disapointed with either. As has been said it comes down to personal taste.

I'd probably go with the status - But that's largely because I've been GASsing for a Status Streamliner since I first saw them . . .about 3 or more years ago!

Can't justify the funds yet though :unsure: .

If you have the dough, there are lots of custom and exotic options from both companies. I'd go based on tone, ergonomics, and lastly looks.

I haven't played a Ken Smith but I have a Status. I suggest you try them out in person.

Sometimes, the thing you lust after pales when played, and the thing you've never considered blossoms.

The map is not the territory. The web view is not the bass in your hands.

I own one of each but they are incredibly different a KS 5 and a Streamline 4.

KS are great basses but, to my ears they have a really distinctive tone. If you like that tone then it's great and can work really well in a band.

The Status is simply the easiest bass to play I've ever owned. Amazing neck profile, action is super low and it has a huge sound for such a tiny bass :)

Definitely need to play both though.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1427491972' post='2731200']
Here's a Ken Smith beaut' just in at Bass Direct... if you want to try one out...

The demo is awful BTW...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_66DokP5M"]https://www.youtube....h?v=sc_66DokP5M[/url]
[/quote]

Not joking..!!!! :o