Why become a member? ×

Cab advice needed......

donslow

Just wondering, thinking of buying this (see link below) but can anyone give me any info on this cab as the seller isn't the most responsive guy in the world,

It doesn't appear to be a powerhouse cabinet so can anyone give me a model number or is r810 it?!

Also, would I be right in assuming it is an 8ohm cabinet?! Would I get the full 1200w at 8ohms?! And can anyone advise as to what the "parallel out" is and what I would do with it?!

would anyone know how these compare to ampeg 8x10 cabs?!

Many thanks in advance guys

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331509153165

Edited by donslow

From the info on the plate it is an 8-ohm cab. It will handle up to 1200W so to get that out of it you would need an amp that can deliver 1200W into an 8-ohm load. The 'parallel out' is wired in parallel to the input socket so you could connect it to another cab - if you had 2 of these connected like that, they would present a 4-ohm load and could handle 2400W!

Before you take the plunge: How is your back? Do you pay your roadies well? How will the landlord of the Sprout & Spittoon react when he sees that being manhandled into his skittle alley? Just some thing to think about...

Edited by JapanAxe

Wow! Thank you for the quick reply, so in short, if I've got this right

8ohm cab

Potentially 1200w at 8ohms given the right amp, how well would this work with a markbass little mark II as this is my current amp (looking to buy an svt 7 pro later in the year)

And the parallel out is to add another 8ohm cab? Or just another one of these?

Any ideas how these would match up to an ampeg cabinet at all?!

Many thanks again

The Little Mark II delivers 300W into 8 ohms, so that is all you would get in terms of power. No idea how good or loud it would sound, and no experience of Ampeg cabs I'm afraid!

You could add any cab via the parallel out, but (1) you need to ensure your amp sees the right impedance, and (2) the results of mixing speakers or cabs are very unpredictable.

I suggest you have read of some of the sticky threads at the top of the Amps and Cabs section.

With every respect, if this is your first venture into buying a cab then my guess is that you don't do big gigs.

That cab is far too big for pub gigs. 10 inch speakers will give a harsh punchy tone and 8 will be loud.

I suggest you go to a few gigs in your area at the sort of venues where you want to play and see the gear other bass players use. Then go to a store and try some out. Then you can go shopping.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1427505107' post='2731351']
With every respect, if this is your first venture into buying a cab then my guess is that you don't do big gigs.

That cab is far too big for pub gigs. 10 inch speakers will give a harsh punchy tone and 8 will be loud.

I suggest you go to a few gigs in your area at the sort of venues where you want to play and see the gear other bass players use. Then go to a store and try some out. Then you can go shopping.
[/quote]

Cheers for the input dude, this isn't my first venture into cab buying, I have 3 cans that I alternate between but mostly use a 2x10 with a 4x10

Am really looking at this cab as I figure it's a decent price and will consolidate, for want of a better term, carrying two cabs about, will only have one to lug in the instances I use the effectively 6x10 rig

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427528813' post='2731400']
To use those 2 cabs you'll need a 'better' amp than a LM ll
Better to use the Pro 7 if you like the sound...IMO
[/quote]

the plan is to get the 7 pro later this year and when I do I'll be selling the little mark, so I figured, changing amp, may as well change cabs too, as I say, I noticed this for a decent price and figured carting one cabinet would be better/easier than two, never owned a big cab like this one before so just thought I'd get people's 2 pennies on them if possible

Carting one cab will be easier than two as you only have one trip to the car but to put things into perspective that cab weighs about 12 1/2 stone or 78kgs.

Try lifting one of your mates out of the house and into the car and it'll give you an idea of the weight.

I bought an Ashdown MAG810 on Ebay brand new cos it was cheap and I'd always wanted one. It comes in 11kgs less than the Mesa at 67kgs. I lifted it twice, once into the house when it was delivered and once out of the house when I sold it. Never again.

I used to use 2 4x10" at about 35kgs each and previous to that used 2 trace V-type cabs, a 4x12" and a 2x15" which were 46kgs each and they were a breeze by comparison - overkill though

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1427557512' post='2731735']
Carting one cab will be easier than two as you only have one trip to the car but to put things into perspective that cab weighs about 12 1/2 stone or 78kgs.

Try lifting one of your mates out of the house and into the car and it'll give you an idea of the weight.

I bought an Ashdown MAG810 on Ebay brand new cos it was cheap and I'd always wanted one. It comes in 11kgs less than the Mesa at 67kgs. I lifted it twice, once into the house when it was delivered and once out of the house when I sold it. Never again.

I used to use 2 4x10" at about 35kgs each and previous to that used 2 trace V-type cabs, a 4x12" and a 2x15" which were 46kgs each and they were a breeze by comparison - overkill though
[/quote]

This!!! Is very well put advice/experience and has now made me completely rethink my "I want an 8x10 cabinet" bee in the bonnet so thanks for that, the 4x10 I have is a warwick wca 411 pro, might have to see if I can find another one of those for sale :-s

Certainly something to ponder

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1427496494' post='2731276']
From the info on the plate it is an 8-ohm cab - if you had 2 of these connected like that, they would present a 4-ohm load and could handle 2400W![/quote]
[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1427497081' post='2731282']8ohm cab

Potentially 1200w at 8ohms given the right amp, And the parallel out is to add another 8ohm cab? Or just another one of these?
[/quote]

Isn't it basically two separate 4x10s in one big box? With separate inputs for each "half" making the whole cab 4 ohms but giving you the capability to only use half of it?

It would be very bizarre indeed to have an 8 ohm 8x10... :huh:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427707991' post='2733166']
It would be very bizarre indeed to have an 8 ohm 8x10... :huh:
[/quote]

A little surprising, maybe, but all you'd need to do is use 16 ohm drivers, 4 in parallel in series with another 4 in parallel or a variant thereof. That way, you could have two 8x10s for that true smashing-the-walls-down experience, and take up all the floor space at the Dog and Doublet.